15 Ways To Get Traffic To Your Forum

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Shawn G submitted a new Article:

There are literally 1000's of ways to get traffic to a website both from using online and offline methods. However, not all these methods work on a forum because of the different structures and environments that online communities create. I decided to create this article based on 15 different traffic development methods that I have used and watched become successful. These tips are all experiments that I have done on message forums. I hope you enjoy these tips and please feel free to share them with others - all I ask is that you link back to my original posts so I can get some credit for writing these free articles for your enjoyment.

1. SEO

Forum Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is important in the internet and search engine world. Google is getting firmer on how people can conduct SEO activities but there is still room for SEO to make websites better in search engines. You can use many different SEO tactics on a forum but some of them will fail because of the user generated content function of message forums. You do not have control of ensuring all content has the right keywords, you do have control of bringing in new content that can help create unique freshness to your community. The main objective of this tip is that you should focus on content SEO more than forum SEO. Focus on bringing fresh not-seen-before content to your forum that people will be dying to read on your forum. Make your unique content user friendly but also something new for the search engine. Put yourself in the shoes of a visitor and ask yourself what sort of content you would like to see that you have not seen before.

2. Back links

Back links are still a good method on getting traffic based on how your forum pages rank on a search engine. In terms of Page Rank (a Google ranking structure), ranking is done on a per-page basis hence the “Page" (well, that and the fact that it was developed by Larry Page) in Page Rank. Your forum homepage should be priority so that should be the page you are advertising. The best way to gain back links is to get your forum link on other forums, blogs and websites that relate to your niche (or topic). This creates relevant back links and helps to raise your ranking in search engines. You should avoid websites that have a lot of spam or heavy SEO methods applied to them.

3. Forum Signatures

Joining other forums allows you to be social and it enables you to start building a reputation for yourself. The...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

fermlour

Aspirant
oh my god, there's things that I had never remembered!
My question is, how can I make a ebook? :)

ThisOldMan

Wordsmith
I am playing with that tip about using videos now. There are some pretty nifty online video editors which can make fairly presentable videos out of pictures. All of them have free options but only the paid version is really good. So now I am saving up to buy a paid subscription to see what I can do with the videos.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict

Simple! Open something like MS Word and write a book and then save it as a PDF. :) If your English is a bit bad and you want to make it into an English eBook, you can always hire a ghost writer (shameless plug: I am a Ghost Writer for hire :p)

ThisOldMan

Wordsmith

You make an eBook the same way you make any other book. First you have to get the content put down on paper. Or on the screen, as the case might be. Then, as Shawn said, save it as a pdf file. There are also some utiltiy programs I have seen, while surfing, which helps you to add pictures and other graphics to your eBook. I think it's also possible to use a desktop publishing program to get the job done more beautifully.

ford1001

Participant
Going to be using a few of these on my forum, the members come and go, and only have a small reliable member base.

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict

You make an eBook the same way you make any other book. First you have to get the content put down on paper. Or on the screen, as the case might be. Then, as Shawn said, save it as a pdf file. There are also some utiltiy programs I have seen, while surfing, which helps you to add pictures and other graphics to your eBook. I think it's also possible to use a desktop publishing program to get the job done more beautifully.

Just remember, read it several times before releasing it to ensure grammar and spelling and all that is right!

ThisOldMan

Wordsmith
With reference to tip #2, which is about getting backlinks, I have tried a way to getting them.

What I did was sign up for a bunch of free sites. Then I published static pages on those sites with links back to my own main site. So I created my own backlinks.

mansawalta

Neophyte
You can also give away things for free and then post that on your social networks to attract people to come to your site, that will get you going for a while and if they find the content on your site to be helpful or useful to them then they will be back

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Finding stuff to always give away though is the kicker. I have been trying to think of things to do for this place - give away digital items.