VPS 1&1 hosting

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
This is the general discussion for the Host 1&1 hosting. Please discuss this Host here.
To write a review please click the 'write a review' button.
To ask a question, please click the 'ask a question' button.
To see the Host details, please click the 'overview' tab.

Hi all

Looking to move hosts and these seem quite appealing for their VPS packages.

Currently with nimbus on their basic plan , and looking for a more cost effective solution that offers more disk space.

Any opinions on them?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Maddox

Habitué
I can't speak for 1and1's VPS packages, but I've used their shared hosting for years and never had any major problems; small niggles that were sorted out with one phone call. I also used to host with Nimbus, they're very, very good and extremely helpful, but it's the cost that killed them for me and I saw very little if any difference in performance when compared to 1and1 - I'm sure there would be a difference, but not noticeable.

Give them a go - you can try for 1 month and if you don't like you can cancel.

;)

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Thanks. I really can’t fault nimbus for their customer care, but hardware wise I think they are a bit expensive.

VICE

tool
Are you forgoing software support? AFAIK, $5 vps is hardware support only but if you do, nothing beats OVH.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
Interestingly, my experience of OVH has been dreadful.

On the other hand, we had a server from 1&1 for many years, without any issues.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Are you forgoing software support? AFAIK, $5 vps is hardware support only but if you do, nothing beats OVH.

Some sort of software support will be necessary. I’d class myself as maybe intermediate knowledge server side.

VICE

tool
Then 1&1 is probably a bad choice for you. You'll get no such support for unmanaged vps (which I believe 1&1 is but I may be wrong here, I never used them - Captain can correct me if I'm wrong). If you want a managed vps then moving away from Nimbus is rather absurd since what cost you a lot is the support service and not the hardware. If you insist on moving out to unmanaged vps price range then you need a host with tons on documentation and active community to help you out. At the moment only DO pops out of my head since almost all of my basic server skill I learned from its documentation.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Then 1&1 is probably a bad choice for you. You'll get no such support for unmanaged vps (which I believe 1&1 is but I may be wrong here, I never used them - Captain can correct me if I'm wrong). If you want a managed vps then moving away from Nimbus is rather absurd since what cost you a lot is the support service and not the hardware. If you insist on moving out to unmanaged vps price range then you need a host with tons on documentation and active community to help you out. At the moment only DO pops out of my head since almost all of my basic server skill I learned from its documentation.

Interesting, what support would you expect to see from this claim?

I see it says questions, but I’m able to trouble shoot or perform tasks with guidance where necessary. Is this what I should expect, rather than them fixing something?

C04080B5-B958-4515-9054-EE2B7F909262.png

Maddox

Habitué
You can use their Cloud Servers which give you the option of managed or un-managed. Prices shown are 'inclusive' of VAT. And, as usual, you can try for 1 month and change your mind if it's not for you. But even if you go for the other option, you still have your 24/7 support if you need it.

upload_2017-12-16_17-22-40.png

;)

VICE

tool
Interesting, what support would you expect to see from this claim?
Hardware and Network support.

2. SERVICES PROVIDED
1&1 agrees to provide the use of a Root Server to Customer, for the exclusive use of Customer, excepting maintenance of the Root Server hardware, at the price agreed upon before the initiation of service, for the term as defined below. Customer represents and warrants that Customer has or has access to the knowledge and expertise necessary to configure, maintain, monitor, and secure the Root Server. Except with respect to the use or configuration of Plesk or the Root Server hardware, 1&1 does not provide phone or e-mail support or other technical assistance for the administration of the Root Server or otherwise related to the Services.

7. HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE CONFIGURATION
All Root Servers must use software configurations that conform with 1&1 requirements. Use of any particular software configuration may be declined at the sole discretion of 1&1. Customers have no right or expectation to receive a hardware or software configuration on their server that is more capable than that which was initially ordered from 1&1, nor can a Customer expect to receive support from 1&1 with respect to the correction of errors caused by mistakes, faulty settings, and installation errors caused by the Customer.

https://www.1and1.com/terms-gtc/fileadmin/Terms/PDF_US/2015_US_Root_and_Windows_server.pdf

Xon

Developer
I'ld recommend not going with 1&1, they don't use online billing processing which means when you enter a credit card is must be kept in plain text somewhere so they can bill you.

Maddox

Habitué
I'ld recommend not going with 1&1, they don't use online billing processing which means when you enter a credit card is must be kept in plain text somewhere so they can bill you.

That is not exactly correct - you can pay by direct debit if you have a UK bank account. When you enter into your payment section you can choose credit/debit card, direct debit or PayPal.

upload_2017-12-17_11-5-20.png

You details are not shown in plain text - generally, like all other online billing, your details are shown as XXXXX03 or something like.

I can't speak for the US site, but the UK site follows the strict guidelines set down by the Government and as the OP is in the UK this is relevant.

;)

Xon

Developer
That is not exactly correct - you can pay by direct debit if you have a UK bank account. When you enter into your payment section you can choose credit/debit card, direct debit or PayPal.

View attachment 49677

You details are not shown in plain text - generally, like all other online billing, your details are shown as XXXXX03 or something like.

I can't speak for the US site, but the UK site follows the strict guidelines set down by the Government and as the OP is in the UK this is relevant.

;)
I do not believe they are doing online payments, this means they are storing the details and then billing you later.

Also the form you are quoting means they are storing the payment details some how, and the government regulations on this storage are hilariously lax.

Maddox

Habitué
Almost every hosting company holds payment details, and not just hosting companies - they couldn't function if they had to keep requesting payment. The huge amount of work required to mail hundreds of thousands of customers would be a logistical nightmare. If it was compulsory, you would see huge price increases. I have never heard of a hosting company (in the UK) that does not operate by holding payment details.

Every day that anyone uses the Internet to purchase something is taking a risk - the ideal is to minimise the risk and with new regulations coming into effect in the UK the penalties for shoddy security are going to be enormous; I doubt that major companies would be willing to be as lax as is assumed. There are some pretty nasty security breaches that have taken place in the last year (not least of which was TalkTalk) so there will be many internal reviews taking place to ensure that whatever named company is not the next to suffer such a breach.

;)

Xon

Developer
Almost every hosting company holds payment details, and not just hosting companies - they couldn't function if they had to keep requesting payment. The huge amount of work required to mail hundreds of thousands of customers would be a logistical nightmare. If it was compulsory, you would see huge price increases. I have never heard of a hosting company (in the UK) that does not operate by holding payment details.
This isn't remotely hard at all, and if it is a "logistical nightmare" then their billing platform is a decrepit piece of **** from the 1990s.

They are selling prepaid services, they have no need to hold payment details beyond customer convenience.

Having to wait several days for their billing platform to actually issue charge with no "pay this now" button for what is a basic commodity is the sign of a business who has refused to modernize. Being forced to pay year-by-year for domain renewals where you need to pray the billing system works and nothing goes wrong with the billing for nearly a week before the renewal actually is processed is really not good.

Last edited:

zappaDPJ

Administrator

Maddox

Habitué
This isn't remotely hard at all, and if it is a "logistical nightmare" then their billing platform is a decrepit piece of **** from the 1990s.

Then you need to tell this to the Companies concerned. I've used several hosting companies in the UK and they all use this method; the billing cycle is 'monthly' not annually unless you choose this method (if it's not offered at the checkout then you need to phone them). And as I said, it's not just hosting companies - if there is recurring billing then almost all of them use this method. I can't speak for other countries but this is the way it is in the UK.

I've used 1and1 for over 10 years and NEVER had any issues with their billing methods. so I can only speak from personal experience and I've NEVER seen any company in the UK use the method you mention unless it was for a one-off purchase.

;)