Community Styling Give and receive help making a style for many types of software.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
OregonAgent is on a distinguished road
Default How important is a custom skin?
Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking on this site for awhile, and one of the many desirable features is the ability to have others review my forum site. After all, I am completely alone in my forum endeavor. Just being offered the opinions of those who have created lucrative forums is REALLY exciting. In a way, it is really personal too, I have invested a lot of time into it's creation, with little experience.

My site is custom in a lot of ways (content) but the skin, is the default skin. This eliminates me from being able to request an official review. I believe I am qualified for an unofficial review, but this requirement has left me puzzled.

Is it important that my vbulletin skin is custom? I think the default colors are fine, but maybe I am underestimating the value of looking unique. My site content is unique, fresh, updated, and useful to people in my industry.

I have no idea how to customize my skin and make it in perfect harmony with the other colors. I imagine I can just buy a custom skin, but is it important? Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Guru
InuYuki is on a distinguished road
If you think about it, the customizations you make to your software make it unique, which is critical to attracting members. If you have something that not only runs good but also looks good, chances are you'll be seeing a very successful community so long as the content is also great. People naturally like shiny things, look at vB4 and vB5, they are terrible, but most bought it because it looked professional and had a good reputation from previous versions as being stable.

In short, yes. Custom skins are important but no, they aren't everything.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 PM
TAZ Rookie

What are the most aesthetically appealing forum colors? Have you seen a forum that you have admired for its skin?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 PM
TAZ Regular

It depends on what kind of forum you're running.

Corporate boards are typically very neutrally colored with all emphasis going toward the logo's visibility.

Gaming sites typically look best with a primarily dark colored skin for low light areas (which hardcore gamers frequent) but may have elaborate logos.

Governmental sites are usually very simplistic with readability going above everything eles.

Anime sites are typically all around colorful.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
TAZ Rookie

Mine is a real estate forum focused on helping agents to secure corporate work. Thank you so much for helping me.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 PM
TAZ Regular

You are very welcome, I'd recommend checking out other real estate forums to see examples of what they look like. Best of luck to you on your site!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 AM

Admin Experience: Intermediate
meetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud of
Try Royal Flush theme by CompleteVB. Very professional. Though custom theme is good, it is better to stick with a ready made theme with decent looks. Custom theme is extra money and have problems while software update. Blue and white combination is a decent colour for professional boards

Like our : Facebook Page | Twitter : @Latestgiveaway
Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 AM
The Ancient Dragon

Admin Experience: Advanced
Alex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant future
It's not necessary, but it adds visual uniqueness to your forum. In this day and age you want to bury yourself in someone's mind so they visit your site again if they haven't become a committed poster yet.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Curmudgeon

darnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAgent View Post
Is it important that my vbulletin skin is custom? I think the default colors are fine, but maybe I am underestimating the value of looking unique.
I think its important that you have a logo created for your site—especially for a business site.

During the design process, you may choose a color pallet that works with the vB default color pallet, or you may not; you may decide that you need new icons to go with your logo, or you may not.

Which colors you use on your site ought to be part of an considered branding program. Changing colors is pretty easy.

--don
Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
TAZ Rookie

Thank you so much for your feedback. Because of your suggestions, I made some changes to the default skin that instantly made a BIG visual difference. It was easy to make the changes, I found a youtube video that told me how to access the place in the admin section to make the changes (gotta love youtube!!), then I found this dictionary that vbulletin had to help me determine which areas were which on the site. I am posting this dictionary for other newbies like me that don't know how to personalize your skins.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM
viam aut inveniam...

Akela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud of
Quote:
This eliminates me from being able to request an official review.
It doesn't.

Quote:
Want an official full review? Make sure your forum meets three of the five following requirements:
Has 50 active members;
Has 75 topics;
Has 1000 posts;
Has been online for 3 months, and;
Has a custom style.

It is better to cross the line and face the consequences than to stare at the line for the rest of your life.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Use The Force

Jack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking on this site for awhile, and one of the many desirable features is the ability to have others review my forum site. After all, I am completely alone in my forum endeavor. Just being offered the opinions of those who have created lucrative forums is REALLY exciting. In a way, it is really personal too, I have invested a lot of time into it's creation, with little experience.

My site is custom in a lot of ways (content) but the skin, is the default skin. This eliminates me from being able to request an official review. I believe I am qualified for an unofficial review, but this requirement has left me puzzled.

Is it important that my vbulletin skin is custom? I think the default colors are fine, but maybe I am underestimating the value of looking unique. My site content is unique, fresh, updated, and useful to people in my industry.

I have no idea how to customize my skin and make it in perfect harmony with the other colors. I imagine I can just buy a custom skin, but is it important? Thoughts?
If you really want a custom skin, at a really reasonable price, perfectly coded, and includes your input until you are totally happy then take a look at www.creaspire.com this girl is really good, she will code you a custom style that you really like.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Oooh, something shiny!

KW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Rouse View Post
If you really want a custom skin, at a really reasonable price, perfectly coded, and includes your input until you are totally happy then take a look at www.creaspire.com this girl is really good, she will code you a custom style that you really like.
Any examples of her forum designs? Not seeing any on the site.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Use The Force

Jack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to beholdJack_Rouse is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW802 View Post
Any examples of her forum designs? Not seeing any on the site.
Those three give a good example of what she can do layout and style wise, from business to personal and a bit wacky, when you consider all the graphics are hers as well, you then begin to realise how good she is.

Plus she works to a brief, makes up photoshop images for the customer to see, then codes it from that, so really from stage 1 the customer gets a feel for how the site will look.

If you want more examples and prices, PM me and I will get her details for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Oooh, something shiny!

KW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to beholdKW802 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Those three give a good example of what she can do layout and style wise, from business to personal and a bit wacky, when you consider all the graphics are hers as well, you then begin to realise how good she is.
Forum designs are bit different from WP designs and a person skilled in one area does not always translate well to the other, especially if they are not familiar with the software platform in question (which is why, for example, somebody skilled at vBulletin styles might not be a good choice for a XenForo style & so on).

Quote:
If you want more examples and prices, PM me and I will get her details for you.
To be frank, without seeing examples of coded forum designs I would not be interested but thanks for the offer.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akela View Post
It doesn't.
Thanks Akela, I was thinking I had to meet all of the list! Regardless, I do now!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Use The Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW802 View Post
Forum designs are bit different from WP designs and a person skilled in one area does not always translate well to the other, especially if they are not familiar with the software platform in question (which is why, for example, somebody skilled at vBulletin styles might not be a good choice for a XenForo style & so on).

To be frank, without seeing examples of coded forum designs I would not be interested but thanks for the offer.
This is all very true, I will get in touch with her for a list of forums she has designed for, and I will PM them to you, I know that apart from wordpress, she has designed for phpBB3, MyBB and IPB forums
Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Tazmanian

IcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to allIcEWoLF is a name known to all
Quote:
Mine is a real estate forum focused on helping agents to secure corporate work. Thank you so much for helping me.
Real estate, when I think about it, the colors I'd go with are a clean light skin.

Green, Blue + White sounds about right.

Also a professionally made logo will give you a lot of character. A logo with a real estate banner saying "sold" in-front of a nice house would be cool to see too.

I hope things work out for you!

Edit: Consider joining the launch team: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=70
Some people expressed success using it.

Custom skins are not everything, I've seen some awesome sites with great skins, but content a lot of time falls short, so they never succeed.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:15 AM
TAZ Rookie

Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcEWoLF View Post
Real estate, when I think about it, the colors I'd go with are a clean light skin.

Green, Blue + White sounds about right.

Also a professionally made logo will give you a lot of character. A logo with a real estate banner saying "sold" in-front of a nice house would be cool to see too.

I hope things work out for you!

Edit: Consider joining the launch team: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=70
Some people expressed success using it.

Custom skins are not everything, I've seen some awesome sites with great skins, but content a lot of time falls short, so they never succeed.
thanks IceWolf! I did decide on blue green and white with some grays. Mostly a mute green. I am pretty excited about the change
Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 AM
Curmudgeon

darnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to all
Quote:
I made some changes to the default skin that instantly made a BIG visual difference. It was easy to make the changes...
You're in trouble now! next you'll be making template edits, then before you know what happened, you'll be releasing plug-ins on vb.org and using words like "sux" and "fanbois"! Its a sickness... welcome to the ward.

--don

Admin Zone Forums > The Design Zone > Community Styling