Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Social Networking

Social Networking Websites and software which promote online social interaction - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Apocalypse Admin

Admin Experience: Advanced
LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Facebook might charge for ad-free access
Facebook is apparently considering reneging on the promise to keep unfettered access completely free for its users, by granting those generous enough to pay up the privilege to not suffer ad barrage bombardment.
Facebook might charge for ad-free access

Quote:
Facebook has been under a lot of pressure from its investors to maximize its earnings. That is because compared to its 100 billion dollar valuation, the social company makes a lot less due to a still developing revenue model. But, a new patent application might help with revenue if Facebook flips the switch.

BGR reports that a new patent application submitted by Facebook might show us the direction in which the company is heading. The patent is titled "Paid Profile Personalization" and it describes how advertisements and other features of the social network might change based on whether the user has payed a fee or not. In other words, it describes a subscription system in which paying customers get a little something extra for a fee.

The current boxed advertisements that Facebook displays might be replaced by pictures of friends and family, a pet or something else for those customers that wish to pay. They might also be allowed to post special status messages, rank their friends and have extra ways to interact with other users.

Of course, this is still just a patent application and it may never see the light of day, most patents don't. But, just in case this comes to pass don't say we didn't warn you.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Tazmanian

HallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud of
Just use Adblock Plus and problem solved, unless Facebook actually detects users with this Firefox/Chrome extension and blocks their access until they disable it? o_o
Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
AdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant futureAdamD has a brilliant future
I wouldn't put it past them to detect adblock etc and block a visitors access

But until they do, I'll keep using Adblock+ and FB.

But don't they make enough money as it is? Jeesh.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Tazmanian

tokyoice is a jewel in the rough
I kind of enjoy looking at adverts what I can relate to.. so it won't really bother me.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Tazmanian

Alfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to beholdAlfa1 is a splendid one to behold
FB Purity works like a charm: http://www.fbpurity.com/
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Guru
InuYuki is on a distinguished road
Adblock seems to handle all the annoying ads, so I'm this doesn't matter to me any. It is an interesting change though.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Ave atque vale

vijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud of
Yes it seems like the ads will be larger too http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattmill...-facebook-ads/
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Tazmanian

GasaiYuno is just really niceGasaiYuno is just really nice
Oh god. This will be annoying, but I'll continue using Adblock+
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM
TAZ Regular

There's some good additions to adblock in firefox that other browsers don't have.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 AM
Supreme Inquisitor

Tim1456 is just really niceTim1456 is just really nice
AdBlock 1 : 0 FAILbook
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Tazmanian

PWO is a jewel in the rough
I don't really mind a few targeted ads.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 AM
hoc foro magna est

engineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to all
Don't you just want to chuck a custard pie at Mr Facebook in that first post
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Serial Entrepreneur

maksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to allmaksim is a name known to all
I don't get what the big deal is... we put up ads on our forums looking to pay for income... yet vilify others for doing the same?

Don't like ads, don't use Facebook. Simple as that.

Putting up advertisements, or having pay for ad free account is not restricting access.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Admin

TrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond repute
What pisses me off about this isn't that they may start charging for ad-free, but that they'd actually try to patent that idea. Newsflash: You aren't the first ones to think of that, Facebook.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 PM
hoc foro magna est

engineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
What pisses me off about this isn't that they may start charging for ad-free, but that they'd actually try to patent that idea. Newsflash: You aren't the first ones to think of that, Facebook.
Money makes them think they can, Just like ebay telling other e-commerce sites to stop using the word "Bay" in their Url. Ebay think they own the word "Bay" Crazy.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Tazmanian

bucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to all
Quote:
it describes how advertisements and other features of the social network might change based on whether the user has payed a fee or not. In other words, it describes a subscription system in which paying customers get a little something extra for a fee.
that does not sound new or novel. maybe there are details which are special.

forums already have optional hacks which allow members to avoid seeing ads, or buy premium memberships to avoid ads.
and having certain sections viewable by select groups is common.

think they will have different ad-levels? full ads, 50% ads, 10% ads, 0 ads.

fb could charge more to show ads to the 50% and 10% ad-folks, because those ads would be more noticeable, and the folks in those categories would be proven money spenders and likely to be serious facebookers.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 PM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksim View Post
I don't get what the big deal is... we put up ads on our forums looking to pay for income... yet vilify others for doing the same?

Don't like ads, don't use Facebook. Simple as that.

Putting up advertisements, or having pay for ad free account is not restricting access.
There's ads on this board!?!

Oh wait! Adblock hides them all for me! Silly me! XD

It's not a big deal, this is agreed. Facebook already has ads, don't like it? get adblocking plugins, it's that simple because most websites have ads.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 AM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWO View Post
I don't really mind a few targeted ads.
Strangely enough, I like this as well.
As long as I don't have to pay for what I'm getting now, im cool

gogo
Old 03-09-2013, 04:19 AM
TAZ Rookie

john2k is on a distinguished road
More concerned about FB getting a patent on paid memberships rather than the fact they might implement it some day. If they get this patent how might it affect other membership based sites, particularly forums?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 AM
Supreme Inquisitor

Tim1456 is just really niceTim1456 is just really nice
If failbook really gets this patent approved in a way therafter they can prevent others from using such system unless they pay FB for the right to do so is ludicrous (not that we haven't seen stupidity of such scale in the near and distant past), but in such case I think it is time to submit a patient that describes respiration (on the claim that by DNA engineering such a system can be artificially created) then charge every biological being that uses is (human or animal) (/yes this is just an analogy).

Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Social Networking