Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Forum SEO

Forum SEO Search Engine Optimization Makes Your Forums Irresistable To Spiders! Techniques and Tips For vBulletin SEO, IPB SEO, and phpBB SEO. Increase Your Forum's Search Engine Rankings.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Ram8349 has a spectacular aura about
Question Is the word "forum" important to have in the url for forum SEO?
Hi, if I want to rank high for the keywords "something forum",

should I have

1. http://somethingforum.com

or

2. http://something.com/forum

or

3. http://xxxxxx.com/somethingforum

or

4. http://xxxxx.com/something-forum

Which one is the best for ranking high in SERP for the keywords "something forum"?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
jward is a name known to alljward is a name known to alljward is a name known to alljward is a name known to all
I don't think it's that important, unless you're (maybe) in a hyper competitive niche. If "forum" appears on the page, it'll still match. The bigger question is how often people are really searching for keyword combinations with "forum". I think you'd expect to be more long tail dominated versus "keyword1 keyword2 forum" type searches.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Nutt is a glorious beacon of lightNutt is a glorious beacon of lightNutt is a glorious beacon of light
Another thing to think about...

A few years ago I started a forum with forum in the domain name. I've since wanted to branch out into more of a static type site with the forum just playing a part. But because forum is in the domain it doesn't really make sense to be a non-forum.

ProofBuddy | Reliti.com
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 AM
TAZ Regular

KiwiTek is just really niceKiwiTek is just really nice
It makes no difference at all. Search engines look at the titles of pages and the content within them. The URl is irrelevant to them.

Only people take note of URL names and the general rule of thumb is that tvshowforums.com wont hold as much weight as tvshow.com/forums. The latter sounds more official and indicates that there is a whole site of information of which the forums is only part. The tvshowforums.com indicates that it's only a forum.

Also Nut makes a good point about wanting to expand your site content at a later point.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM
TAZ Regular

Rex is a jewel in the rough
I think it depends on what kind of forum is yours.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Tazmanian

EddieC is just really niceEddieC is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiTek View Post
It makes no difference at all. Search engines look at the titles of pages and the content within them. The URl is irrelevant to them.
What a load of rubbish! Anyone who knows anything about SEO knows that EMD's with good content rank brilliantly.

If you're going to start dishing out advice - and doing it with such confidence - at least make sure you know what you're talking about!

Need traffic for your forum? Check out this thread!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Tazmanian

MannyRUA is a name known to allMannyRUA is a name known to allMannyRUA is a name known to allMannyRUA is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieC View Post
What a load of rubbish! Anyone who knows anything about SEO knows that EMD's with good content rank brilliantly.

If you're going to start dishing out advice - and doing it with such confidence - at least make sure you know what you're talking about!
Well said Eddie, I was about to post the same.

If you want to be ranked for the term 'something forum' then somethingforum.com is a logical choice. It is also acceptable to have xyz.com/somethingforum - there isn't a world of difference in SEO terms between the two.

For sure, a forum will be ranked well by content without any relevancy in the domain names or folders, but the names will sure help.

One reason we bought the domain dysonforums.com..........
Old 02-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Tazmanian

EddieC is just really niceEddieC is just really nice
Definitely in my experience keywords in the domain has much more impact than keywords in a folder name.

Need traffic for your forum? Check out this thread!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM
viam aut inveniam...

Akela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud of
My personal preferred search string for any money making (hence over-advertised) niche is "keyword inurl:forum".

On every other topic, I just use "keyword".

It is better to cross the line and face the consequences than to stare at the line for the rest of your life.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
esquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud ofesquire has much to be proud of
If you want to get the best results for a forum only, have a forum in the name. Why? Because any human who sees your domain name anywhere - search engine or not - will go to your forum if going to a forum is the optimal solution.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Tazmanian

alemcherry has a spectacular aura about
Using domain names filled with keywords is old technique and it doesn't work any more. Have done it 6-7 years back and got results, but these days google simply don't care or if you overdo it with - etc, will hate it. Better use something people will remember and not have trouble typing in.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
Mark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to behold
Why not try having actual content that people want to search for, rather than this endless game of trying to trick search engines? Just a thought.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 PM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieC View Post

Perhaps you could explain why IMDB ranks so high in search results when their URL's have no relation to the content then? And why I see so many search results which have irreverent URLs but lots of exact matching content?

You might also like to note that Google made changes to their algorithm back in Sept 2012 so it cares less about the domain name and more about the content.

This page talks about the declining importance of EMDs.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Tazmanian

PacMan is a glorious beacon of lightPacMan is a glorious beacon of lightPacMan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiTek View Post
You might also like to note that Google made changes to their algorithm back in Sept 2012 so it cares less about the domain name and more about the content.

This page talks about the declining importance of EMDs.
There are other search engines other than google.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 AM
TAZ Regular

True.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 AM
TAZ Rookie

iputinwork is on a distinguished road
I think if someone is looking for a discussion forum, having the word "forum" in the URL will be able to attract those users easier.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 PM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram8349 View Post
Hi, if I want to rank high for the keywords "something forum",

should I have

1. http://somethingforum.com

or

2. http://something.com/forum

or

3. http://xxxxxx.com/somethingforum

or

4. http://xxxxx.com/something-forum

Which one is the best for ranking high in SERP for the keywords "something forum"?

We used to think twould have been better if we'd had the word forum in our title...
I think overall, if yer gonna play it out this way, better to have the content you're going to be writing about the most in it, rather than your title...unless that's your title :P

Circle everything in around your content, and spiral out from there...that'll keep you grounded and successful.

gogo
Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 AM
TAZ Rookie

bobdole is on a distinguished road
I always wondered this myself.I find myself throwing the word forum in all my tags.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 AM
TAZ Rookie

kirankumargb is on a distinguished road
I think its only important for the googlers to tell that here is a forum and you can talk about a topic or users have their reviews etc... but i dont think it will make much effect although i personally feel if some one is searching a keyword with "forum" in it then it will add say 5% weight to it.

I personally own a forum with forum in the name and there is not a real difference except making the name long.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM
TAZ Regular

jackregan is on a distinguished road
This is interesting. My site uses forum software but it actually more of a blog/ magazine site, so I've omitted the word 'forum' altogether. Hopefully it won't hurt me too much...

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Forum SEO