Servers and Hosting Server Issues - Shared, Virtual, and Dedicated Hosting Options.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:37 PM
I am Review

Admin Experience: Advanced
Review is on a distinguished road
iPodWizard.net is with Vizaweb on a semi-dedicated plan. At first I wasn't happy with the service; daily server crashes. I just complained, alot, and after that it's been good... I think they've put me on an empty server ust to shut me up .
Old 05-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Marketing Mafia Boss!

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Lord Brar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renshaw
We're looking for a new host, don't get me wrong the one we're with is good, but we're going to have to upgrade our plan with them soon.. so we thought a nice change would do. This thread is really useful, looks like asmallorange or site5...
You can blindfold your eyes and keep your finger on any of the two and you won't repent with your choice.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Rent This Space...

Admin Experience: Guru
MMM is just really niceMMM is just really nice
Quote:
This thread is really useful, looks like asmallorange or site5...
Site5
Old 05-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Keep at it!

Renshaw is on a distinguished road
I know, they both sound really good. The only problem with site5 is the no paypal option, or UK cards, only major cards
Old 05-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Tazmanian Gremlin

wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I know, they both sound really good. The only problem with site5 is the no paypal option, or UK cards, only major cards
Do you have a visa debit card?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Rent This Space...

I thought they accepted PayPal... Let me ask them directly and let you know what they say
Old 05-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Tazmanian Gremlin

wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
I thought they accepted PayPal... Let me ask them directly and let you know what they say
Look at the bottom of this page:

https://secure.site5.com/order/index.php

They don't.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Tazmanian

Bigman is on a distinguished road
Right now i use Nel Host due to my friend knowing the owner so i got a free package but im moving soon to WesternAvenue but i may still keep my nel host just for my other domain
Old 05-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Tazmanian

rooshine is on a distinguished road
I see site5 has been discussed earlier in this thread, and as a long-time customer of theirs I thought I'd tell of my experiences with them.

I don't mean to rekindle any debate, but as I hosted with them for nearly two years my experiences may be valuable to others who are considering their services.

First, the good: Site5 has the best customer service I've encountered in the hosting industry. That doesn't mean they are the best, only the best I've personally had dealings with. In fact, they offer the best support I've encountered from any vendor in any industry. The people working there are pro's pros. Every email I've sent has been answered promptly, courteously, and accurately. They've resolved all issues I've had, and more importantly they resolved issues I didn't know I had. They completely took the headaches out of hosting. I could run my site without having to worry about the hosting.

When I first signed up with them I had some of the same concerns Zachery expressed in this thread, but I did not have them about site5. Back then, site5 was one of the more expensive shared hosts out there. Their offerings were at the similar dollar amounts as many of their competitors, but for the same price they offered less bandwidth and less disk space. I wasn't specifically looking for an expensive host and I never made the assumption that expensive automatically meant better, but combined with their excellent reputation it was an easy choice. And I wasn't disappointed. Site5 was excellent.

That was the old site5. Sometime about six months ago (or maybe nine – I'm not really sure) they changed datacenters. All existing customers, like me, remained in the original datacenter, while all new accounts were created on servers in their newly selected datacenter. It was then that they changed their pricing structure and it's on boxes at the new datacenter where they reside. I can't offer any sort of evaluation of performance on these boxes or at the datacenter because I have no experience there. While the dramatic change in price structure surprised me, I had and continue to have every confidence in the site5 team. They strike me as having both good business sense and technical expertise, and I do not believe they would have taken on such a business model if they could not provide service at a level their clients have grown accustomed to.

I understand Zachery's concerns, and frankly if I came across site5 for the first time today without having any personal experience with them, I'd probably sound a lot like him. I'm a strong believer that more often than not you get what you pay for, and ironically that was a major factor in why I selected site5 in the first place. But knowing what I do about them, if I was in the market for shared hosting today they'd be at the top of my list.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Rent This Space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooshine
Site5 has the best customer service I've encountered in the hosting industry.
I second that

...it's like they're standing right next to you whenever you need them
Old 05-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Tazmanian

Kathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooshine
= But knowing what I do about them, if I was in the market for shared hosting today they'd be at the top of my list.

I second the comments about site5 too. I have great memories of their service and it just dawned on me that I still owe Matt Lightener some cookies!

He is no fool who would give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose. - J Elliot
Old 05-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Rent This Space...

Here's why Site5 doesn't use PayPal... there is a problem (a large problem) of people using stolen/hijacked Paypal accounts.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:39 AM
TAZ Regular

Hodgedup is on a distinguished road
I have a dedicated server with CIHost. They are I'd say so-so. I did have some brief downtime moments, but I haven't had any in a couple of months.

I wouldn't reccomend them, but I also won't bash them.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:57 AM
TAZ Rookie

greywolff is on a distinguished road
i use a company called totalchoicehosting.com ive been trough a few hosting companies includeing CI host and a bunch of other major companies and afew tiny ones. so far they have been one of the best i have had customer service wise from AOL IM to Yahoo messenger and an online php chat there allways there for support not to mention the standard land line. and for the prices it cant be beat and if my site's start getting to big i can allways change plans easily i currently pay about 20 for my main site with 16g of bandwidth 10g storage
and most importantly
unlimited databases
(its also a reseller account)
im running 4 sites off the same space and still have room to grow
Old 06-17-2005, 06:36 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
Carla is on a distinguished road
HA...one that even I can answer... Host your own.. It costs me $40 cnd for BroadBand busness services. I have unlimited Bandwith and I have full control! I just dont know a darn thing about PhP .. but Im learning...
Old 06-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Tazmanian

webrover is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a Canadian web hosting company called hoster.ca
Old 06-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Tazmanian

AxisTalk is on a distinguished road
I use Surpass Hosting

It started off quite crappy, but its very good now. Always up and running, it seems.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:54 PM
GirlieGeek

CrustyGeek is on a distinguished road
We've just moved our RPG forum to Servint and I must say I'm not used to this level of service

I've never had control of a server before (always been on shared hosting) and have many questions - most of them pretty daft!

They have answered every query, installed software for me and I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a reply.

I would recommend them wholeheartedly - they are pretty fantastic
Old 06-19-2005, 12:04 PM
TAZ Rookie

Lursa is on a distinguished road
My boards are hosted by Lunarpages and I can honestly recommend them.
They are cheap, have an international toll-free hotline and when you send them an email about a prob, there is no @&%$§ mail filter that sends you an automatic response that has nothing to do with your question, but there is a living human who is very friendly and patient and replies to all your questions personally.
They are very patient with newbies and foreigners and explain everything in detail, if necessary 10 times.
They offer rather good conditions as well. If youd like to have a look, here's their offers (I use the shuttle plan) http://www.lunarpages.com/solutions.php

A funny detail: all their servers are - depending on their size - named after planets, stars, constellations or galaxies. My domain recently moved from Neptune to Phoenix
Old 06-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Marketing Mafia Boss!

Lord Brar is an unknown quantity at this point
vBulletin is on their banned scripts list... maybe they don't maintain hardware good enough to handle real software.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Servers and Hosting