Servers and Hosting Server Issues - Shared, Virtual, and Dedicated Hosting Options.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Moo

Admin Experience: Guru
Zachery is on a distinguished road
Yes but you need to take into account dedicated support and other costs.

My own hosting is not exactly cheap, but it pays for the server and my time, ontop of that I will NOT overload a server. Period.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Coder/Designer

Admin Experience: Advanced
southernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
And the service has been fantastic.
Quote:
That's actually quite expensive. You can get fast, reliable, well supported hosting with 10 times that disk space and 7.5 times that traffic for under $10/month. It's a very very competitive market these days.
I've learned that you can have fabulous prices and great space but if you don't have service, you've got squat. I have run into that with my last two servers prior to this, one was 1&1 just before this and the other was a private server. I also went with yahoo, BIG mistake! Osis Hosting has given me FANTASTIC service and gone way beyond what they should.

Example, they offer two shopping cart scripts as part of their plans. I didn't like either one of them so I installed an indepedent script to my site. Well, I had trouble getting it installed. One of their CSR's spent a half hour working with me and got it installed in spite of the fact that it wasn't their script.

Then I have had to have them delete several databases for me that I've *broken*, install post nuke and php nuke several times when I kept breaking it. And even helped with the forum I have now when I broke it. I think they dread seeing my name on their chat screen. But they still keep answering my questions and helping me out.

And the panel they use isn't a cpanel it's something different. It's even easier to use. That's one reason I keep recommending them. And will stay with them. Yes, there are less expensive plans out there. But I'm happy with who I'm with and I will keep telling people about them. Liz

Old 05-10-2005, 01:15 AM
I Like 'Em Chunky

ZenithRS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I've learned that you can have fabulous prices and great space but if you don't have service, you've got squat
Yep... that's why I said...
Quote:
You can get fast, reliable, well supported hosting with 10 times that disk space and 7.5 times that traffic for under $10/month.
I take the point that less technical ability at the client end requires better support, but that's still pretty pricey. But as long as you're happy then that's all that matters in the end
Old 05-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Moo

Zachery is on a distinguished road
Most hosts that boast 5GB of storage and 500GB of bandwdith, for 10 bucks a month are overselling like crazy
Old 05-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I Like 'Em Chunky

ZenithRS has a spectacular aura about
Overselling is not a problem if the server is monitored properly and the host is responsible. And I'm not sure where you got 500GB traffic from I said 75. Still a heck of a lot though. I don't have an account with that sort of volume. I'm paying 9.95 for 2 gig and 30gig. Simple fact is it's very fast, very reliable, and never had any support problem.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Tazmanian

MaXBoost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Well it looks like the honeymoons over with my host, and I'm going to have to move I could put up with the safe mode, but now our attachments do not work because they do not (apparently) allow uploads via PHP. Whomever I go with next I would like to stay with, so I need to find someone who is good. I was going to switch to ServerTweak who advertises here, but they don't even answer simple questions on their thread so I'm leery about their 'service' I have a few places that I'm considering but nothing is set in stone just yet. I was wondering who you guys use for your host?
hi, i like to know if we answered your question.

there are a total of 10 clients form here that i host, and i'm sure you will be happy with our performance and support.

via email me at ivan@servertweak.com
Old 05-18-2005, 01:55 AM
EntropiaForum.com

MindBuster is on a distinguished road
Im using ServInt, their Signature VPS, running smooth.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:22 AM
[insert witty title]

Nippoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Freedom2surf; £2 a month for a standard, 200MB, 10MB Database, hosting plan. Another £2/month for 20 200MB POP3 SMTP @yourdomain.com email addresses.

Love them.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Bark Bigger Than Byte

The Computer Mutt is on a distinguished road
ASO all the way!

I'm on their large plan right now, I had to upgrade from medium when I ran out of bandwidth earlier than I'd expecect when my site grew rapidly. This should do for a while, though.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Sports-Boards!

Admin Experience: Intermediate
sully02 is on a distinguished road
I'll throw in a vote for PerfectSQL.com, especially if you've got a rather active board.

Before moving to this server, my site could get around 70 users online at a time before it'd crash due to too much activity. Since the move to the new server, we've only had one day where there were issues with the site, and that's because it was the busiest day in site history (We had between 100-150 users on the site for most of the day), and at least 10% of those users were in Flashchat, so you can imagine the server load.

Despite that, the site has been incredibly fast! For a forum that regularly has 50+ users online at a time, and one that usually gets over 2K posts per day, our bandwidth is still comfortably under 2 GB per day. If you're just starting out, there should be no reason that you need any more than, oh.. 10-20GB/month tops.

In addition to the site moving incredibly well, the support was good in helping me move the site over. They took care of setting up my entire database, which was approaching 500MB at the time, and I haven't had a reason to contact support with any issues except for when we were setting up the site at first.

My apologies if I come across as a fanboy, or excessively happy, I just wanted to share as much of my experience as possible so you can try to form your own opinion.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Rockforums.net admin

bradley is on a distinguished road
my host is www.zonerhosting.com

they are quite simply awesome. I picked up their Silver package for $1 a month on eBay, i just can't believe i'm getting the features, space, bandwidth and especially aamazing reliability for that price! support has never taken longer than six hours to get back to me, and that's just because im on a different timezone!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Rent This Space...

MMM is just really niceMMM is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXBoost
hi, i like to know if we answered your question.
We went with Site5 and we are extremely happy! Incredible servers, extremely friendly staff (even billing dept.) and the best support that I've ever seen from any hosting company. They are also the ONLY host that I know of that will actually PAY YOU to leave your old host! I had joined with another host that had no support at all (which was the reason for this thread) and Site5 REIMBURSED ME everything that I paid that old host so that I would not lose any money! I know of no other host that goes this far to please their customers. When I factor in that they offer 50 GB of Bandwidth and all the money that I saved because they reimbursed me, it was simply too hard to pass them up. I'm very glad that I joined with Site5! We were going to join with your company (servertweak) but after seeing how you ignored my question and other peopleís questions in your thread, the alarm bells went off and we decided to simply look elsewhere. In hindsight, I guess you did us a favor by not answering our questions so thank you for that This thread is a great resource for those looking for a good host. Lots of options, which is exactly what a person needs to find the right host these days
Old 05-23-2005, 09:07 PM
TAZ Rookie

DJDarknez is on a distinguished road
I'm on EGI and they've swallowed everything I've thrown at 'em without a hiccup.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Tazmanian

Kathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to all
Theplanet.com

He is no fool who would give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose. - J Elliot
Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Tazmanian

my3shadows is on a distinguished road
I've used Cartika Hosting out of Toronto, Canada since last fall and they are great. I have reseller account through them and their service is awesome!

I found them at webhostingtalk.com.

Expressive Parents.com
Old 05-24-2005, 12:04 AM
TAZ Rookie

goalumpire is on a distinguished road
http://www.forumer.com

These guys have everything that you need. Forums in IPB and phpbb. Their forum is also hosted by vBulletin.com So there is no need to worry.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Tazmanian

rouseindahouse is on a distinguished road
ASmallOrange at the moment on their large plan at the moment and probably the super plan next month.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:58 AM
TAZ Rookie

UKZJ007 is on a distinguished road
5 very powerful dedicated servers with different hosts
Old 05-30-2005, 11:04 AM
Marketing Mafia Boss!

Lord Brar is an unknown quantity at this point
I have both Site5 and ASmallOrange as my hosts (18 different sites )
Old 05-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Keep at it!

Renshaw is on a distinguished road
We're looking for a new host, don't get me wrong the one we're with is good, but we're going to have to upgrade our plan with them soon.. so we thought a nice change would do. This thread is really useful, looks like asmallorange or site5...

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Servers and Hosting