Generating Revenue Offsetting the Cost of Maintaining Your Site with Affiliate Programs, eCommerce, Subscriptions, Donations, Advertising, and Targeted Sponsorships - Online Payment Options: Paypal, CC gateways, 2checkout.com and more.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Offwalker!

Admin Experience: Advanced
GeeOne is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation General chat niche and Skimlinks / Vigilinks
Can general chat forum niche generate revenue from Skimlinks or Vigilinks ?

Please comments.

G!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
Joeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant future
I would say not like other niches such as automotive or computer, but yes, if you work it and have the traffic I think you can make a few bucks anyway.

I buy forums and I am actively looking. PM me for details.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Offwalker!

I think I may try.

G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeychgo View Post
I would say not like other niches such as automotive or computer, but yes, if you work it and have the traffic I think you can make a few bucks anyway.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Tazmanian

Joeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant future
I use Viglink myself -

Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Offwalker!

How is the performance?

G!

Quote:
I use Viglink myself -
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Think before you speak

Adam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant futureAdam H has a brilliant future
Having tried both Viglink was by far better, by a considerable difference. I was told that it depends on the Gio location of your visitors as to which one would work better, I.e Skimlinks for UK traffic and Viglink for US however i found that Viglink performed far better on both UK and US traffic.
The opinions expressed in forum posts are my own personal opinions and do not represent any companies that i am associated with.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Not a Beginner

petertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond repute
It's so easy to plug them in, you may as well give it a go. I'd just suggest trying both. First one, then the other. Give each one a good amount of time, a month or so each. As Adam H said, Viglink works best for him, I've heard other people say the same about Skimlinks. Which one will work best for you, just try them both and find out.

My Forums: Coin Forum - Stamp Forum - Militaria Forum - Sports Card Forum
Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 PM
shiny happy pantless

Admin Experience: Intermediate
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeOne View Post
How is the performance?

G!

We created a VigLink Shopping mall to work with our own strange community

Viglink Shopping Mall

gogo
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Tazmanian

MarkR is a name known to allMarkR is a name known to allMarkR is a name known to allMarkR is a name known to all
Quote:
Can general chat forum niche generate revenue from Skimlinks or Vigilinks ?

Please comments.

G!
I have only used SkimLinks and it works well for me. Although, I don't know how it compares to VigLinks.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Tazmanian

dethfire is just really nicedethfire is just really nice
viglinks stats piss me off, there is always missing data
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
TAZ Rookie

AaronSkimlinks is on a distinguished road
Hi all, Aaron from Skimlinks here.

GeeOne, good question, I'm biased of course but ultimately I think that Skimlinks outperforms Viglink in a few areas (more on that below). As Joeychgo mentioned, success will often come down to the traffic levels on your site and how much of the content is focused on discussions of products. The higher those two pieces are, the more successful products like Skimlinks will be.

Testing is a good to way to find out what works best for a respective site, but keep in mind that performance can greatly fluctuate with tests, especially depending on seasonality and how much traffic a site gets. If traffic is on the lower end, a few sales will make a huge difference in the data, so be sure to account for any outliers.

Here are a few key competitive advantages to using Skimlinks (I've laid out a few as our CEO, Alicia Navarro goes into a bit more detail on a similar thread https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...nks-vs-Viglink):

-Our merchant network of 18,000+ offers a greater likelihood that your product references and links will be affiliated, resulting in a higher sales volume.
-Our commission rates: we've negotiated increased rates with merchants in our Preferred Partner Program, which allows you to make more money.
-We are the leading technologist in our space for over four years now, which allows us to provide innovative features such as the SkimWords realtime price and product comparison flyover, ensure our linguistic matching capabilities, maintain a 99.99% uptime rate, keep your pages running at full speed and do cool geeky things like examine 200 billion monetisable phrases in under 100 ms.
-Our full suite of APIs and reporting tools allows for greater analytics and more sophisticated uses of our program.
-Our support staff (and our whole team) is brilliant, friendly and kicks ass. You can meet them all here: www.skimlinks.com/team

I could go on but I'd rather take the time to encourage you to give us a call directly and chat! Skimlinks.com/contact. Our San Francisco office is at: +1 (415) 598 8696

p.s. for those thinking of using Skimlinks on their forums, we've put together a handy guide to help you roll things out appropriately: http://blog.skimlinks.com/2012/01/25...tizing-forums/
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Offwalker!

Thanx for details.

Any idea, how it will preform for off topic forum, as this niche is not consider very strong for monetizing. And also many discussions are not many products.

G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSkimlinks View Post
Hi all, Aaron from Skimlinks here.

GeeOne, good question, I'm biased of course but ultimately I think that Skimlinks outperforms Viglink in a few areas (more on that below). As Joeychgo mentioned, success will often come down to the traffic levels on your site and how much of the content is focused on discussions of products. The higher those two pieces are, the more successful products like Skimlinks will be.

Testing is a good to way to find out what works best for a respective site, but keep in mind that performance can greatly fluctuate with tests, especially depending on seasonality and how much traffic a site gets. If traffic is on the lower end, a few sales will make a huge difference in the data, so be sure to account for any outliers.

Here are a few key competitive advantages to using Skimlinks (I've laid out a few as our CEO, Alicia Navarro goes into a bit more detail on a similar thread https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...nks-vs-Viglink):

-Our merchant network of 18,000+ offers a greater likelihood that your product references and links will be affiliated, resulting in a higher sales volume.
-Our commission rates: we've negotiated increased rates with merchants in our Preferred Partner Program, which allows you to make more money.
-We are the leading technologist in our space for over four years now, which allows us to provide innovative features such as the SkimWords realtime price and product comparison flyover, ensure our linguistic matching capabilities, maintain a 99.99% uptime rate, keep your pages running at full speed and do cool geeky things like examine 200 billion monetisable phrases in under 100 ms.
-Our full suite of APIs and reporting tools allows for greater analytics and more sophisticated uses of our program.
-Our support staff (and our whole team) is brilliant, friendly and kicks ass. You can meet them all here: www.skimlinks.com/team

I could go on but I'd rather take the time to encourage you to give us a call directly and chat! Skimlinks.com/contact. Our San Francisco office is at: +1 (415) 598 8696

p.s. for those thinking of using Skimlinks on their forums, we've put together a handy guide to help you roll things out appropriately: http://blog.skimlinks.com/2012/01/25...tizing-forums/
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Thanx for details.

Any idea, how it will preform for off topic forum, as this niche is not consider very strong for monetizing. And also many discussions are not many products.

G!

You have to understand how Viglink / Skimlinks works...

One of your members posts a link to something -- say a car for sale on eBay or a link to a laptop on Newegg..

Viglink / Skimlinks (whichever you have) automatically turns that link into an affilliate link. So any site visitor that clicks that link on your site will generate a commission IF they buy something from that site.

SO if you dont have users posting links like that - there is nothing to get commission on.

Make sense?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
shiny happy pantless

Admin Experience: Intermediate
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

SO if you dont have users posting links like that - there is nothing to get commission on.

Make sense?
I totally get what you are saying Joey

That was the biggest thing about viglinks for me that eventually we "got"

That noone in my forum was posting links to products... cuz we're not that kind of forum.

There are lucky owners that have car forums and tool forums and washing machine repair forums...I'm not one of them.

That's why we made the viglink shopping mall.

Permanent affiliate links that are tailored to where people are ALREADY shopping.

Easy, profitable sell

gogo
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Tazmanian

VigLink has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thanx for details.

G!
Hi there, Anna here w/ VigLink -- your question on how either Skimlinks / VigLink will monetize on an "off topic" forum, or one that isn't super product specific is a good one.

Joeychgo is right in that you need outbound links to merchants, or at a minimum references to products/merchants within your forum to see results with either service, but you might be surprised that even the most general of forums have these. I spent some time on your site and here are a few general thoughts / takeaways:

- your lifestyle as well health sections may include product links that you aren't aware of
- if they don't, it would be easy to make a few small tweaks to the way you structure forum threads (e.g. introduce a "favorite health and beauty products for less then $20" thread) to test whether your community is interested in discussing products
- You could also experiment with a variation of gogoblender's shopping mall idea, and consider adding a "Special Deals" section to your quick links drop down -- another easy way to share products you think would be relevant to your community, while also introducing additional monetization opportunities.

Hope this helps! If you have time, you could also check out one of our weekly webinars on how to maximize revenue with VigLink (http://info.viglink.com/customer-success-webinars.html) - in about 30 minutes we do a deep dive into some of the things you can do to optimize content.

Keep us all posted on how things are going for you!

Cheers,
Anna

Sign Up today and start making money without any impact to the user experience or your existing advertising efforts.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Offwalker!

Thanx Anna, that was the answer I was looking for.

Very good explanation and really helpful.

One more question can we restrict the links program to particular section only like 'Life style' ?

Edit: It's installed, got the mod at vb.org

Can you please check it is it working? Please note for test one thread created as suggested by you.

Also liked the 'Shopping Mall' idea, can you help me on that?

G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigLink View Post
Hi there, Anna here w/ VigLink -- your question on how either Skimlinks / VigLink will monetize on an "off topic" forum, or one that isn't super product specific is a good one.

Joeychgo is right in that you need outbound links to merchants, or at a minimum references to products/merchants within your forum to see results with either service, but you might be surprised that even the most general of forums have these. I spent some time on your site and here are a few general thoughts / takeaways:

- your lifestyle as well health sections may include product links that you aren't aware of
- if they don't, it would be easy to make a few small tweaks to the way you structure forum threads (e.g. introduce a "favorite health and beauty products for less then $20" thread) to test whether your community is interested in discussing products
- You could also experiment with a variation of gogoblender's shopping mall idea, and consider adding a "Special Deals" section to your quick links drop down -- another easy way to share products you think would be relevant to your community, while also introducing additional monetization opportunities.

Hope this helps! If you have time, you could also check out one of our weekly webinars on how to maximize revenue with VigLink (http://info.viglink.com/customer-success-webinars.html) - in about 30 minutes we do a deep dive into some of the things you can do to optimize content.

Keep us all posted on how things are going for you!

Cheers,
Anna

Last edited by GeeOne; 03-07-2012 at 01:09 AM..
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Tazmanian

VigLink has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thanx Anna, that was the answer I was looking for.

Very good explanation and really helpful.

One more question can we restrict the links program to particular section only like 'Life style' ?

Edit: It's installed, got the mod at vb.org

Can you please check it is it working? Please note for test one thread created as suggested by you.

Also liked the 'Shopping Mall' idea, can you help me on that?

G!
Okay, so I checked your site and VigLink is properly installed (woot!). Right now you are correct in that it is active on all pages -- w/ the vbulletin plugin it isn't possible at this time to segment which sections of the site it is applied to (but I can keep you posted if this become available in the future!).

Did you say you created a test thread that is product specific? If so, let me know, I'd love to take a look at it (I couldn't find one when scoping out the articles section).

In regards to gogoblender's Shopping Mall idea, he does a great job outlining how they did it in this post. This might provide some pointers for how you could leverage the same idea!

Cheers,
Anna

Sign Up today and start making money without any impact to the user experience or your existing advertising efforts.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Offwalker!

Thanx again Anna,

I think creating section with banners would be a problem for me, can you please help me on that?

For trial created two threads, don't know it shows the Affiliated links or not and also not sure they are proper or not. The links are as under;

- http://www.offwalk.com/threads/7590-...eauty-products

- http://www.offwalk.com/threads/7592-...Amazon-or-ebay

Thanx and rgds,

G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigLink View Post
Okay, so I checked your site and VigLink is properly installed (woot!). Right now you are correct in that it is active on all pages -- w/ the vbulletin plugin it isn't possible at this time to segment which sections of the site it is applied to (but I can keep you posted if this become available in the future!).

Did you say you created a test thread that is product specific? If so, let me know, I'd love to take a look at it (I couldn't find one when scoping out the articles section).

In regards to gogoblender's Shopping Mall idea, he does a great job outlining how they did it in this post. This might provide some pointers for how you could leverage the same idea!

Cheers,
Anna
Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM
TAZ Rookie

annac has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thanx again Anna,

I think creating section with banners would be a problem for me, can you please help me on that?

For trial created two threads, don't know it shows the Affiliated links or not and also not sure they are proper or not. The links are as under;

- http://www.offwalk.com/threads/7590-...eauty-products

- http://www.offwalk.com/threads/7592-...Amazon-or-ebay

Thanx and rgds,

G!
We can't provide code for the shopping section -- while we would be able to affiliate links within those sections we can't build out those sections on behalf of publishers, unfortunately.

In regards to the two threads, this is a good start, but it doesn't look like you've included any product links in either, and users have not shared any yet either. A few suggestions:
- Consider being more specific within threads. Rather than asking "Do you use health and beauty products?" swap to "What's your favorite health and Beauty product for less than $20?" and in the body of your post ask them to share where they purchase it.
- For the Amazon / eBay thread, more specificity would also help here. Maybe you could think about making this thread a "special deals" thread for Amazon and eBay, and you share products / sales that you and your users find within those stores... that would ensure the thread features product links.

Hope this helps -- let me know if you have any other Q's!

Cheers,
Anna
Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Offwalker!

Thanx again Anna.

First let me find out the coder/designer who can help us to set up shopping mall.

G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annac View Post
We can't provide code for the shopping section -- while we would be able to affiliate links within those sections we can't build out those sections on behalf of publishers, unfortunately.

In regards to the two threads, this is a good start, but it doesn't look like you've included any product links in either, and users have not shared any yet either. A few suggestions:
- Consider being more specific within threads. Rather than asking "Do you use health and beauty products?" swap to "What's your favorite health and Beauty product for less than $20?" and in the body of your post ask them to share where they purchase it.
- For the Amazon / eBay thread, more specificity would also help here. Maybe you could think about making this thread a "special deals" thread for Amazon and eBay, and you share products / sales that you and your users find within those stores... that would ensure the thread features product links.

Hope this helps -- let me know if you have any other Q's!

Cheers,
Anna

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Generating Revenue