Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools

  #1  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 AM
ZombieKillah ZombieKillah is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Real Name: Iain
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Beginner
Location: Redditch,UK
Age: 31
Posts: 31
ZombieKillah is on a distinguished road
Post Looking to start a multi-gaming community
Hi All,

For the last few weeks i've really been toying with the idea of starting a new multi-gaming community. It seems to me that most but not all gaming communities seem to focus on a single game but i'd love to focus on a selection of games. My thinking being that supporting multiple games would bring a much better chance of having a really diverse user base as time goes on. Does this seem like a sound assumption to you guys/gals ??

I had an idea of making this community a little more unique by using lots of custom content on it's servers and by attracting people who are also able to help create this custom content which could be unique to this community and thus make the community stand out amongst other communties. I guess i would be leaning more towards supporting valve-based games for the simple fact that all the SDK's for their games are freely available, but this of course would be open to discussion

Maybe it would be possible to entice already accomplished modders/mappers aswell as nurture new talent by holding regular competitions where the most impressive content creators and most promising new talents would be rewarded in the form of gifts and presents in one form or another. There could be a nice monthly prize draw for the "modder of the month"

Before i write an essay here, id like to hear from the guys and gals here and see what you all think about this initial idea.

I would of course be looking for multiple people to help me setup and run this community if it were ever to come to fruition.

Im eager to hear any input from everyone

Regards,

Iain

Last edited by ZombieKillah; 03-03-2012 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
gogoblender's Avatar
gogoblender gogoblender is offline
shiny happy pantless
 
Real Name: Rommel
Join Date: Feb 2006
Admin Experience: Intermediate
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 7,243
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Default
Hi

If you're already popular online, have many friends that support you, that you can get involved with right from the get go, this could work.

Being popular is important, you need a lot of friends as they're the ones who will give you that instant community right from the start.



gogo
__________________
Sacred 3 DarkMatters SacredWiki
we make goblins go boom

Last edited by gogoblender; 03-03-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 AM
ZombieKillah ZombieKillah is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Real Name: Iain
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Beginner
Location: Redditch,UK
Age: 31
Posts: 31
ZombieKillah is on a distinguished road
Default
Hi Gogo,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately i don't have loads of friends and people to help support me and get this off the ground so i guess this would actually be more trouble than its worth. I might have to have a big rethink about this and see if i can come up with a better idea.

I have over 2 years of gameserver admin experience which i started learning back in late 2008 with the release of L4D

Thinking about it, all i really want it to be part of a community. I consider myself to be quite good at linux server adminstration and security. I don't have any problems setting up webhosting, and things like hlstatsx,sourcebans and gamecp are second nature.

I already have a vB4 Suite licence which im currently using but the site stays completely dead. Im not very experienced at attracting people to it.

Maybe its best if i offer my services to help other ventures instead...

Regards,

Iain
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
LawrenceWright LawrenceWright is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Real Name: Lawrence Wright
Join Date: Feb 2012
Admin Experience: Guru
Location: United States of America
Age: 28
Posts: 24
LawrenceWright is on a distinguished road
Default
Sometimes it's best to start off small. Stick to 4-5 games, this way you can build up a stronger community for those specific games. I've tried a gaming community forum with every possible game for every system and every online game ever made (Okay, maybe not that many). There were roughly 800-900 boards, and it was confusing.

If you can fill the fewer boards, add boards over time and continue the trend, people will see that others are active in the forums and say "Oh, this isn't so hard if everyone else can do it."

Good luck with your community. If you'd like, PM me your forum and I'll gladly participate in it. I'm quite the forumer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM
engineer1964's Avatar
engineer1964 engineer1964 is offline
hoc foro magna est
 
Real Name: Gerry
Join Date: Feb 2012
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Colchester, Essex, UK
Posts: 767
engineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to all
Default
Hi Iain,

Going into this particular niche, you need to really offer something that thousands of other sites don't after all theres only so many people interested in that particular niche that its pretty safe to assume that they are already being catered for by a like minded community and it will be hard work to draw them away from that.

What you need to be seen offering is something different, for me the forum would be the support and cominity side of a much greater project.

You say you have webmaster experiance so setting up scripts and programs should not be a problem, this is what i would recommend, look at starting up a new particular niche website, they say the simplist things often work best so don't try and get too big too quick.

look at sites offering scripts and programs such as hotscripts http://www.hotscripts.com/category/s...ipts-programs/

and look for something that you feel happy working with and develope that as your main goal - That will get you users!! Then work your forum around the main site, That then will be your unique forum, totally different from 1,000s of other because your offering more than them.

if you need any further help of encouragement, you know my PM
__________________
Welderfab.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM
ZombieKillah ZombieKillah is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Real Name: Iain
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Beginner
Location: Redditch,UK
Age: 31
Posts: 31
ZombieKillah is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceWright View Post
Sometimes it's best to start off small. Stick to 4-5 games, this way you can build up a stronger community for those specific games. I've tried a gaming community forum with every possible game for every system and every online game ever made (Okay, maybe not that many). There were roughly 800-900 boards, and it was confusing.

If you can fill the fewer boards, add boards over time and continue the trend, people will see that others are active in the forums and say "Oh, this isn't so hard if everyone else can do it."

Good luck with your community. If you'd like, PM me your forum and I'll gladly participate in it. I'm quite the forumer.
Thanks for the input Lawrence

I do intend to start out small with my forums having only a handful of sections. I am currently uploading vB suite 4.1.10 to my vps as i type this reply to you. Sure i'd love to PM you the address but i dont have the 10 posts yet so i will just post the address in this forum when i've got vB online. I would be delighted if you would help me out with this, we should definitely discuss this

With regards to games, i will be hosting L4D, L4D2 , Killing Floor, Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike:Source as a starter. I have 2 nice dedicated servers for this purpose. I've found a REALLY nice mysql based advertisements plugin which i will be setting up on all public gameservers, i think this should help entice new members directly from the servers to the community

Regards,

Iain
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM
ZombieKillah ZombieKillah is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Real Name: Iain
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Beginner
Location: Redditch,UK
Age: 31
Posts: 31
ZombieKillah is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1964 View Post
Hi Iain,

Going into this particular niche, you need to really offer something that thousands of other sites don't after all theres only so many people interested in that particular niche that its pretty safe to assume that they are already being catered for by a like minded community and it will be hard work to draw them away from that.

What you need to be seen offering is something different, for me the forum would be the support and cominity side of a much greater project.

You say you have webmaster experiance so setting up scripts and programs should not be a problem, this is what i would recommend, look at starting up a new particular niche website, they say the simplist things often work best so don't try and get too big too quick.

look at sites offering scripts and programs such as hotscripts http://www.hotscripts.com/category/s...ipts-programs/

and look for something that you feel happy working with and develope that as your main goal - That will get you users!! Then work your forum around the main site, That then will be your unique forum, totally different from 1,000s of other because your offering more than them.

if you need any further help of encouragement, you know my PM
Hi Engineer, thanks for your suggestions

I am now starting to realise how much of a task i've set myself but i remain undeterred, i think im just going to get it all setup and then hope that something truly unique drops into my mind. It's not the best way to go i know, but i am determined to make this work over time.

I don't have the limitations that some gaming communties have in the fact that i don't rent directly from any game server provider as they all seem to be very restrictive. Instead i run a fully featured game server control panel on my webserver and i use my nice dedicated servers to run my private and public game servers. Essentially i am my own GSP I could use this to offer prizes such as free game or voice servers to members which could be won in monthly raffles.

Thanks for the link to that website, i'm going to have a good look at that shortly and see what stands out to me. Also because i am currently alone in this project but have the desire to bring other people into this project. I guess i could also benefit non-technically minded members the chance to learn server administration skills that they may not have had previously. So yeah, while still not being totally unique in any way i still feel its something that a fair amount of communties can't offer. I'm offering people the chance to run this community with me

I would PM you but i still dont have the 10 posts yet so can i just friend you instead ?

Regards,

Iain
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 PM
engineer1964's Avatar
engineer1964 engineer1964 is offline
hoc foro magna est
 
Real Name: Gerry
Join Date: Feb 2012
Admin Experience: Advanced
Location: Colchester, Essex, UK
Posts: 767
engineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to allengineer1964 is a name known to all
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKillah View Post
Hi Engineer, thanks for your suggestions

I am now starting to realise how much of a task i've set myself but i remain undeterred, i think im just going to get it all setup and then hope that something truly unique drops into my mind. It's not the best way to go i know, but i am determined to make this work over time.

I don't have the limitations that some gaming communties have in the fact that i don't rent directly from any game server provider as they all seem to be very restrictive. Instead i run a fully featured game server control panel on my webserver and i use my nice dedicated servers to run my private and public game servers. Essentially i am my own GSP I could use this to offer prizes such as free game or voice servers to members which could be won in monthly raffles.

Thanks for the link to that website, i'm going to have a good look at that shortly and see what stands out to me. Also because i am currently alone in this project but have the desire to bring other people into this project. I guess i could also benefit non-technically minded members the chance to learn server administration skills that they may not have had previously. So yeah, while still not being totally unique in any way i still feel its something that a fair amount of communties can't offer. I'm offering people the chance to run this community with me

I would PM you but i still dont have the 10 posts yet so can i just friend you instead ?

Regards,

Iain
Hi Iain, Keep posting away mate, thats what others do, you'll soon get the 10 post no probs,

There is something on my mind which i'm looking at doing also perhaps 2 like minded people are better than 1??

Hurry up and get the 10 posts and drop me a PM then we'll chat

Cheers

Gerry
__________________
Welderfab.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
LawrenceWright LawrenceWright is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Real Name: Lawrence Wright
Join Date: Feb 2012
Admin Experience: Guru
Location: United States of America
Age: 28
Posts: 24
LawrenceWright is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKillah View Post
Thanks for the input Lawrence

I do intend to start out small with my forums having only a handful of sections. I am currently uploading vB suite 4.1.10 to my vps as i type this reply to you. Sure i'd love to PM you the address but i dont have the 10 posts yet so i will just post the address in this forum when i've got vB online. I would be delighted if you would help me out with this, we should definitely discuss this

With regards to games, i will be hosting L4D, L4D2 , Killing Floor, Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike:Source as a starter. I have 2 nice dedicated servers for this purpose. I've found a REALLY nice mysql based advertisements plugin which i will be setting up on all public gameservers, i think this should help entice new members directly from the servers to the community

Regards,

Iain
Just make sure you send me a message with the URL to your forums, I participate on a ton of forums and I can't possibly read all threads on all of them. If I could make a suggestion, add Minecraft and you'll certainly get some posters.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
ZombieKillah ZombieKillah is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Real Name: Iain
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Beginner
Location: Redditch,UK
Age: 31
Posts: 31
ZombieKillah is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1964 View Post
Hi Iain, Keep posting away mate, thats what others do, you'll soon get the 10 post no probs,

There is something on my mind which i'm looking at doing also perhaps 2 like minded people are better than 1??

Hurry up and get the 10 posts and drop me a PM then we'll chat

Cheers

Gerry
Hi Gerry,

Couldn't agree more with that, ill get my 10 posts so i can PM you I'm really interested to chat with you and see if we can possibly do something

Regards,

Iain
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
ZombieKillah ZombieKillah is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Real Name: Iain
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Beginner
Location: Redditch,UK
Age: 31
Posts: 31
ZombieKillah is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceWright View Post
Just make sure you send me a message with the URL to your forums, I participate on a ton of forums and I can't possibly read all threads on all of them. If I could make a suggestion, add Minecraft and you'll certainly get some posters.
Your suggestion is very welcome and believe it or not, i actually already have experience of running MC servers with Bukkit but not since the end of 1.8. I'd gladly add an MC section. Im working on setting up vB now so it shouldn't be much longer, i'd be delighted if you would join. Im just slightly worried that you may be expecting posts and members to be present straight away, whereas it will be empty straight away, ill be working on populating it of course but i need all the help i can get

Regards,

Iain
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 PM
LawrenceWright LawrenceWright is offline
TAZ Rookie
 
Real Name: Lawrence Wright
Join Date: Feb 2012
Admin Experience: Guru
Location: United States of America
Age: 28
Posts: 24
LawrenceWright is on a distinguished road
Default
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKillah View Post
Your suggestion is very welcome and believe it or not, i actually already have experience of running MC servers with Bukkit but not since the end of 1.8. I'd gladly add an MC section. Im working on setting up vB now so it shouldn't be much longer, i'd be delighted if you would join. Im just slightly worried that you may be expecting posts and members to be present straight away, whereas it will be empty straight away, ill be working on populating it of course but i need all the help i can get

Regards,

Iain
All forums start out with little to no traffic. Most forums become successful when they have a few early starters. I'm active on probably a few dead forums, but new members arrive from time to time simply because there're some posters. I don't expect a massive amount of posters to boot, but as long as there're a post or two a day, I'll gladly make my posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
ZombieKillah ZombieKillah is offline
TAZ Regular
 
Real Name: Iain
Join Date: Mar 2012
Admin Experience: Beginner
Location: Redditch,UK
Age: 31
Posts: 31
ZombieKillah is on a distinguished road
Default
Hi lawrence,

I've been a little busy with work the last couple of days so things have been slower than i anticipated. I intend on getting the word out by using facebook and twitter etc etc and also posting on some other forums (as long as i dont get banned)

I will of course be putting in the effort myself aswell

The advertising plugin which i will run on all of my public gameservers is also almost ready to use

Won't be much longer now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started





Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Seeking] Want to start a multi-purpose gaming website(I am very good ;)) ShoppingCart Community Cooperative 5 05-26-2011 09:30 PM
Community to Start. 4znlyfe Community Organization 1 10-15-2009 03:15 PM
I am alone how can I still start a community? sagar Getting Started 9 01-25-2009 05:27 PM
Trying to start a gaming forum Gitominoti Getting Started 6 07-12-2008 05:09 PM
I want to start a community KILLBILLVOL2 Getting Started 7 04-16-2004 09:02 AM


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.09402990 seconds with 13 queries
The Admin Zone copyright 2003-2014 All Rights Reserved. Content published on The Admin Zone requires permission for reprint.