Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Tazmanian

T3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Some advice in regards to registration
I have noticed this problem over the years and don't remember seeing a thread about it so I'll bring it up to help some of the novices here.

Before you start advertising your forum, make sure that your registration system works well. Try out different e-mail providers, use different popular browsers, and once you install any plugin related to registration (Facebook Connect etc.), test it out again as sometimes the plugin may be causing some conflicts as you may be losing out on members who are either unable to register or get past that stage but are stuck in account activation due to a bug somewhere along the lines.

An easy way to test it would be to use The Exchange on here for such purposes and if you're using a custom script it would be a good idea to get some feedback on it to ensure that it's user friendly as maybe it's not as refined as you think as just because it makes sense for you, doesn't mean it does for others.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Advanced
Somber is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the advice, I got my friends to try registering first.

Best Regards,

Somber
Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Judge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud of
This is good advice that should not be ignored!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Numenorean7 is a jewel in the rough
I could have used such an advice once or twice since I first installed/migrated and then enabled(or so did I think) registration on my board!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Zero_Beat is on a distinguished road
Good tips, my only problem is bots keep getting through everything i have set up. :P So mass deletion happens daily :/
Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Tazmanian

T3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah although remember that there are human spammers as well

Usually adding in some security questions that are related to your niche helps a bit as it makes it harder for them to make an account since they need to do extra work such as Googling answers lol.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started