Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Tinybb Project Manager

Admin Experience: Advanced
Kelloggs is just really niceKelloggs is just really nice
Default Admins who permaban straight away?
I just got permabanned from a forum for giving some constuctive feedback to an admin. Now, I can understand admins not wanting feedback but even a warning would have been harsh. Personally I cant stand people who are ban happy, it just shows they cant deal with people properly.

Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

Admin Experience: Beginner
PoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond repute
I only permaban when an abomination is posting spammy shizzle LOL
... or whenever I'm in a mood and a half... it just depends. But permaban because of "constructive feedback"? Never! Constructive feedback is what allows the mediocre admin become the successful admin, if said feedback is implemented...

J.

Last edited by PoetJC; 01-03-2012 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: added comment...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Tinybb Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetJC View Post
I only permaban when an abomination is posting spammy shizzle LOL

J.
Exactly. Banning should either be for serious offences or once a member has recieved multiple warnings.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I STILL Blame EdenRat

Scrubs is a glorious beacon of lightScrubs is a glorious beacon of lightScrubs is a glorious beacon of light
This happened to me on a spin off forum. Basically a group of people considered themselves Elite. They invited me promising it wouldn't affect me on the main site. Anyway they started bashing the main site so I explained I would leave making occasional visits. They banned me permenantly I received an email saying: You are never welcome to return.
Conincidently the leader of the spin off was perma banned on the main site a few days later.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Guru
LadySerenaKitty has a spectacular aura about
People who permaban right away are going to learn (eventually). Its bad for a community to have an admin like that, and eventually the site will dwindle into nothing.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Apocalypse Admin

LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Only for spam control and unauthorized use of duplicate accounts without explicit prior notice and permission.

To get sanctioned this harshly for offering helpful suggestions does not seem very fair, as your initiative could have shown the amount of passion and interest in its success you had for that site. The admin responded to your fervor in a way that should be unambiguous for you, I suppose.
You could use the means provided on that site for contesting staff action, or seek higher authority for a review and correction.

On an aside, some type of feedback can easily be perceived as essentially 'you suck', and its difficult to imagine everyone would brush that aside.

Last edited by LeadCrow; 01-03-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Old 01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator

The Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond repute
"Permaban" is an ambiguous term. It sounds as if it means a permanent ban - a ban that will never be reversed. That's not necessarily so. To me, permaban means the ban will not automatically end after a preset time period, but it can still be reversed manually. In order to get the ban reversed, the banned member must get with the admin and work things out. Sometimes that's the best way to fix a bad situation.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Tinybb Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
"Permaban" is an ambiguous term. It sounds as if it means a permanent ban - a ban that will never be reversed. That's not necessarily so. To me, permaban means the ban will not automatically end after a preset time period, but it can still be reversed manually. In order to get the ban reversed, the banned member must get with the admin and work things out. Sometimes that's the best way to fix a bad situation.
I never knew the exact definition of permaban to be honest. I just take it to mean a permanent ban. Even so, I wouldn't want to work it out with this admin seeing as I have lost respect for him and I seriously doubt his ability to run a forum efficently, due to the fact that he is blissfully unaware of the fact that his forum is falling apart.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Administrator

The Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelloggs View Post
I never knew the exact definition of permaban to be honest. I just take it to mean a permanent ban. Even so, I wouldn't want to work it out with this admin seeing as I have lost respect for him and I seriously doubt his ability to run a forum efficently, due to the fact that he is blissfully unaware of the fact that his forum is falling apart.
One size fits all doesn't always work. Sure, sometimes a time limited ban will modify the behavior of a particular member. But not always. And it's not necessarily the fault of the admin. I've had members on time limited bans who wait for the exact minute their ban ends to jump in and continue the behavior that got them banned in the first place. To them, a time limited ban is merely a slap on the wrist. OTOH, a "permaban" shows them the seriousness of a ban. Sometimes that's needed IMO. The key word is sometimes.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
ValSan is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelloggs View Post
I never knew the exact definition of permaban to be honest. I just take it to mean a permanent ban. Even so, I wouldn't want to work it out with this admin seeing as I have lost respect for him...
That has been my attitude as well. I was once involved in a forum where I had a similar experience. The subject was very applicable to me and I felt like I belonged there, but after several weeks of participation with no indication of any issues I started a thread that apparently hit some sore spot I was clueless about because it was deleted and I was "forever" banned. No warning or discussion whatsoever. Perplexed, I re-read the rules and couldn't identify any that my content would have breeched.

Sure, I could have contacted the administrator and possibly sorted it out, but honestly I felt it just wasn't worth my time. I don't want to be a part of a community that imposes such harsh, non-communicative moderation, particularly on matters their rules do not address. So I dusted myself off and found another forum within the niche who now have the honor of benefiting from my presence.

The way I see it everyone leaves happy.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Tinybb Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman View Post
One size fits all doesn't always work. Sure, sometimes a time limited ban will modify the behavior of a particular member. But not always. And it's not necessarily the fault of the admin. I've had members on time limited bans who wait for the exact minute their ban ends to jump in and continue the behavior that got them banned in the first place. To them, a time limited ban is merely a slap on the wrist. OTOH, a "permaban" shows them the seriousness of a ban. Sometimes that's needed IMO. The key word is sometimes.
I do see where your coming from, but if you could see the conversation that took place, you would see why my "behaviour" was not worthy of a permanent ban.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Most "permabanned" members don't ever contact the admin and thus stay banned, but those that do and work it out often end up to be valued members. I contacted a permabanned member myself once or twice as well. That usually works out well too. YMMV.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Mutt Man

Lycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond reputeLycaon has a reputation beyond repute
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
full moons just wonder

Sunlite is a glorious beacon of lightSunlite is a glorious beacon of lightSunlite is a glorious beacon of light
I know of one forum, which would perma-band people but...they ended up in their own forum which stated "If you see this forum, it's cause you're banned" and it gave everyone a final chance before they were really banned....
Makes me wish more boards did this...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Just Curious!

Dragonlair is just really niceDragonlair is just really nice
There are a variety of reasons for banning on my board and most are permanent. However, there are a few cases where it MIGHT be reversed if I am contacted and the situation is discussed. The two main reasons for banning are Spamming (and I don't think I have ever been contacted on this one) and copyright violation. This has resulted in a few - and very few reversals under "probation".

I think the worst case of copyright violation was when another admin (no longer staff) used a translator and realized that one of our international moderators (Hungarian) was promoting copyright violation right under our noses! She was stripped of staff level and banned at one time. She never contacted but did rant and rave on her blog.

I don't think we have ever banned a user for abuse of the forums, flaming and so forth in over 7 years in operation. We've got a good group of users -- 99%+ women. Men are welcome but not many men do cross-stitch!

Join our Cross-Stitch Family!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Tazmanian

Librarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to all
With the exception of one person whose 'friendly advice' was "you're too *** to be running a forum" and "I demand these people be dealt with for being mean to me after I told them they were stupid and should be doing what I tell them...", every person I've banned has been a spammer.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

PoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond reputePoetJC has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian2000 View Post
With the exception of one person whose 'friendly advice' was "you're too *** to be running a forum" and "I demand these people be dealt with for being mean to me after I told them they were stupid and should be doing what I tell them..."
hmmmm - once upon a time I had a ..... erm ... "friend" who got drunk and offered those quotes --- almost verbatim ((amazing really! o.O)) --- as constructive criticism... Always wondered why the admin of that particular forum had not the balls to permaban right away LOL

All kidding aside... idk about permaban being an ambiguous term at all. Permanent Ban. Nothing ambiguous about it. All other bans are called something else

J.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Tazmanian

Librarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to allLibrarian2000 is a name known to all
Although I do admit that Hellban is pretty final sounding. VBG
Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Miss Thick_Jacq

lol yup

Old 01-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Tazmanian

Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
When I was much younger, I sometimes got quite angry at some constructive feed backs I received on my forum too Gawd that was like 12-13 years ago. I didn't ban, but my replies surely drove those people away from my site.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff