Old 02-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Proud charter member!

Admin Experience: Intermediate
_| () R | Z is on a distinguished road
Default Question about yabbse
I once registerd on a yabbse board to be able to download some software from that company. I forgot all about it and when i returned 1 year later i couldnt remember what my loginame was. Yabbse only lets you change your password if you can remember your login name (really smart function ). So then i emailed the webmaster if he could tell me what my login name was (i always register with the same email so that wasnt a problem.

He replied with my username...................and my f*ck*ng(#%&^) password!
I use that password for many, many things so i was really pissed off.

So here's the question; like in the old vbulletin versions (pre 2.0.3) are you able to see members passwords in yabbse? Coz if this is true then ill never register on a yabbse board again.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:44 PM
<nothing/>

Admin Experience: Advanced
dune is on a distinguished road
You have to assume that anywhere you register, your password is subject to viewing by someone... Granted that's not the way it always is (In my own apps I always one-way hash user's password), but you have to assume so. Keeping different passwords is a pain, but it's the best way to be safe.

We had an employee who was stealing from us once and during the investigation I discovered one of his passwords. From there, I managed to get into his etrade, local bank and webmail accounts all with that one password. Let that be a warning!

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Community Organization