Increasing Traffic Promotional Techniques To Fill Up Those Member Lists.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Default Link bait articles - to increase traffic?
Well, I'm a writer now so I tend to write things that'll encourage people to link to me - like my downfall of Neopets.com article.

I don't write things for link bait though, I express how I feel - so has anyone here had success with link bait articles?

What is link bait?
Quote:
Link bait is any content or feature, within a website, designed specifically to gain attention or encourage others to link to the website. Matt Cutts defines link bait as anything "interesting enough to catch people's attention."[1] Link bait can be an extremely powerful form of marketing as it is viral in nature.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_bait

So, have you tried link bait articles yet?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
jward is a name known to alljward is a name known to alljward is a name known to alljward is a name known to all
I think anything you write should be link bait = "interesting enough to catch people's attention". However, sometimes people have *very* interesting ideas, but they don't make them sound very good. And it starts with the title or headline. Here is a site that has some great tips (many of 'em) on writing in general, but here is there stuff on headlines.

Update: My link to Google search didn't work. Here is the query instead:

Code:
site:copyblogger.com intitle:headlines
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Tazmanian

bluesky is a jewel in the rough
It is definitely possible to write in a way that all posts grab some incoming links from other sources like blogs and bulletin boards, indirectly functioning as links baits but the main obstacle might sometimes be in the way of handling such sites. For example, there are some webmaster blogs that already have become like this but during years.

They are not new ones, their admins have been writing articles and publishing quality materials on their portals for years and now they are enjoying the cool outcomes. Blogs such as SEOMOZ or MattCutts are moderated this way, their every single posts linked to from so many other websites because their admins do know how to write.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Tazmanian

cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
It is definitely possible to write in a way that all posts grab some incoming links from other sources like blogs and bulletin boards, indirectly functioning as links baits but the main obstacle might sometimes be in the way of handling such sites. For example, there are some webmaster blogs that already have become like this but during years.

They are not new ones, their admins have been writing articles and publishing quality materials on their portals for years and now they are enjoying the cool outcomes. Blogs such as SEOMOZ or MattCutts are moderated this way, their every single posts linked to from so many other websites because their admins do know how to write.
How many link bait articles are you created? I know JohnChow and Shoemoney do it a lot - even Techcrunch does it - because that fact is when you write a catchy article - and spread it virally, other people may catch wave, thus linking back to you = win
Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 AM
shiny happy pantless

Admin Experience: Intermediate
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jward View Post
I think anything you write should be link bait = "interesting enough to catch people's attention". However, sometimes people have *very* interesting ideas, but they don't make them sound very good. And it starts with the title or headline. Here is a site that has some great tips (many of 'em) on writing in general, but here is there stuff on headlines.

Update: My link to Google search didn't work. Here is the query instead:

Code:
site:copyblogger.com intitle:headlines
Good post!
lol I just wrote another post somewhere on how important it is to control topic titles. Spelling, syntax, even spin. Looking at our content in a different light helps us work on our mental gymnastics so that we can learn how to see good content from what could be meandering discussions. As well, focusing on having reference sections on our forums to provide answers for people's questions has always been worthwhile for us.

Since we are a game support forum, there are always people coming around asking questions either at our place or on the net. We went around asking everyone on many other forums to provide us with permission to have their guides on our site (this was before we built the wiki). Our guides section is, if we are to use Carlos's words, a kind of link bait?

As long as keep adding to our reference guides sections on our forum, game players keep coming and reputation increases which increases our viewership.

gogo
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 AM
TAZ Regular

bruce99 is on a distinguished road
if matt cutts is talking about it, isnt it usually a bad thing - as in something that google would like to ban you for? And of course anyone with a site wants visitors, the more targeted the better.

For instance in this forum, you might be here just because you are a very helpful person, or because you want a link back, or maybe you are link baiting. Makes you wonder how many of these forum posts actually motivate people to go to the posters site?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce99 View Post
if matt cutts is talking about it, isnt it usually a bad thing - as in something that google would like to ban you for? And of course anyone with a site wants visitors, the more targeted the better.

For instance in this forum, you might be here just because you are a very helpful person, or because you want a link back, or maybe you are link baiting. Makes you wonder how many of these forum posts actually motivate people to go to the posters site?
Why would google ban you for it? It's a great way to get links - and it usually works - have you tried link baiting?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Can I have a cookie?

Admin Experience: Advanced
dlawhh is on a distinguished road
I know to some people they see "link bait" and think of "bait and switch", thats a great way to get a good idea to turn bad and leave people with a negative thought. How many times do you really here of Bait & Switch as a good thing?

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Increasing Traffic