Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Resource Zone > Articles

Articles A Collection of Articles, Interviews, and Other Resources.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
JulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to behold
Default Using Contests and Giveaways to Increase Forum Traffic
Using Contests and Giveaways to Increase Forum Traffic

There are many ways to increase forum traffic, & contests and giveaways are excellent options. My hope is that this article will help you explore the possibility of using contests and / or giveaways to increase traffic to your forum and assist you with brainstorming about how to make these tools work for you.

Table of Contents
1. Pre-launch Pondering
2. What's the goal?
3. Contest versus Giveaway
4. Avoiding trouble
5. Conclusion

__________________________________________________ __

1. Pre-Launch Pondering

Thinking about using contests or giveaways to drive traffic to your forum? Awesome!

Before you go for it, you may want to consider a few things.

Let's start with the most obvious & most common question: What's this going to cost me?

Answer: It depends.

You may actually be able to run a contest or giveaway for $0! If you can get a company to sponsor your contest or giveaway...they provide the prize and take responsibility for delivering the prize to the winner, your only investment will be time and energy. There are lots of companies on the www who are willing to provide prizes for contests and giveaways. What they are looking for in return is marketing / publicity. Do you have good marketing channels? Think about your forum's presence on the Internet... not just the forum itself - but the forum's Facebook Fan Page, Twitter Account, the ability to email announcements to members, etc. You may be able to exchange announcements via these venues in exchange for company sponsorship & run your contest or giveaway for $0. Here's an example of a $0 cost giveaway.

But...let's say you will sponsor your contest or giveaway - which means you provide the prize - you will have to consider how much to invest. After considering what you can afford, the next consideration is how big? We may think that the bigger the cash value of the prize, the more successful a contest or giveaway will be. That is not necessarily true. For example, a well run and well advertised contest or giveaway with a modest prize may get a larger response than a poorly run, complicated contest or giveaway with a higher value prize.

The other consideration is staying power. High value prizes tend to attract people who only stay on the forum long enough to make an attempt to win the prize. (More about staying power later.) So...just because you can afford the $200 Visa gift card doesn't mean you shouldn't use a $25 or a $50 Visa gift card.

How often should you run contests and giveaways?

Answer: It depends.

Maybe one or two major contests or giveaways each year will work for you...or it could be that several small contests keep your forum fresh by frequently bringing in new members.

Don't be afraid to test things out to see what works best for you.

Here's another good question: What makes a good prize?

Answer: It depends

You know your forum members and your niche market's preferences - you're probably a member of the niche yourself. Use your knowledge to select a prize which will appeal to them. For example, $25 in free Microsoft Gaming Points for X-Box may not be appealing to the women who frequent a forum for Breast Cancer survivors or potential new members for a forum like that.

Will your members or potential members (people in your niche) be willing to share their mailing address to receive physical prizes or would e-prizes which can be delivered via email work best?

Pick the right prize and get maximum bang for your buck.

2. What's the Goal?

Before launching your contest or giveaway, take a moment to decide what your goal or purpose is for doing it...beyond the primary & basic goal of increasing forum traffic. Think about how you want to increase forum traffic and what kind of traffic you're looking for.

For example...Do you want to
  • attract new members?
  • get your current members to invite their friends?
  • increase posting activity from the current members?
  • reward highly active members?
  • increase your number of Twitter followers or Facebook fans?

The way you answer this question should determine the "rules" for your contest or giveaway. The actions people have to take to enter the contest or giveaway (which I refer to as "entry requirements") should be designed to meet your goal or goals. For example - if one of your goals is more content, you could make posting 10 quality comments in the forum one of the entry requirements for your contest or giveaway.

Warning: Do not make the entry requirements too burdensome or too complicated. Burdensome and complex entry requirements tend to drive people away.

For forums, a good entry requirements starting point for a contest or giveaway is:
Quote:
  • Register at our site & introduce yourself
  • Make X quality comments* in the Discussion Forum
*Quality comments are comments which initiate or contribute to an ongoing discussion in our Discussion Forum.
A good rule of thumb is THREE. More than three or four entry requirements tend to turn people off.

Don't forget to use a links! Definitely link "register" to your registration page in your contest or giveaway announcement. This is part of doing making it easy for a visitor to register at your forum and participate in your contest or giveaway.

Finally...Despite what our moms told us - Looks are important: Make the contest or giveaway announcement, clear and easy to read. Include a pic of the prize if applicable.

3. Contest versus Giveaway

This may seem obvious to some folks but it is worth saying: There is a big difference between a contest and a giveaway.

Contest
Members compete to win a prize.

Giveaway
Members complete specific actions to be randomly selected to win a prize.

To be clear... in a contest, people - your current members plus any new members your contest attracts - are competing with one another. This comes with the very real risk of pissing people off and detracting from the general sense of community and good will at your forum.

In a competition there are clear winners and losers based on intelligence, strength, speed, verbal skills, looks, etc. - personal skills and attributes. In a contest if someone loses it means that someone else was BETTER. The losers lose because they did not do enough to win...someone else did more or someone else was better.

In a giveaway, everyone is equal and the winner is based on sheer randomness...not a person's personal skills attributes. To enter a giveaway, everyone completes the same tasks - show up and complete a form, click on a button for a website or like a particular Facebook page, complete a card and drop it in the mailbox, etc. In a giveaway, people tend not to get angry when they are not randomly picked to win because it's not about them. The winner was selected randomly random...The outcome was sheer chance.

On the other hand, a contest can create more of what you want (your "goal" ...see # 2). For example, if you say "Whoever makes the most quality comments wins $100 by paypal!" you will get many more posts in your forum than if you say "To enter this giveaway, make 15 quality posts in the discussion forum!" In some niches, competition is expected and welcomed...and competition may serve to generate more interest.

Which one is right for your forum?

You'll need to think this through carefully and decide for yourself.

4. Avoiding Trouble

You don't want lack of clarity causing misunderstandings and inadvertently have your contest or giveaway contribute to bad blood or angst on your forum.

Include the following in the contest or giveaway announcement:
  1. the start and end date for the contest or giveaway
  2. how and when the winner / winners will be selected
  3. which geographic regions are eligible to participate ...For example "This contest (or giveaway) is open to US, Canadian, and Australian residents only."

You may want to indicate that you are the sole sponsor if the contest or giveaway.

Announce the winner / winners on the advertised date.

Deliver the prize promptly.

If you have a company sponsor, send them the delivery information immediately after the end of the contest of giveaway. Follow up with the winner / winners to make sure they received their prize.

5. Conclusion

A few thoughts about staying power: Attracting new members is great; however, you need to ensure your forum is rich with content and activities which will make a new member want to return to your forum again and again. Don't win the battle and lose the war by hosting contests and giveaways ...and having loads of new folks join to participate...without making sure your forum is worth returning to.

I hope that this article was helpful to you and at the very least it gave you some food for thought regarding the use of contests and giveaways to help build your forum.
Read my article: Forum Owners: Should You Hire a Lawyer? (USA)
Find out how to protect your forum from Copyright lawsuits (USA)
Twitter ~> @ParentingSpot Facebook~> Our Parenting Spot on Facebook

Last edited by JulieVA; 04-20-2011 at 02:47 PM..
Old 05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
TAZ Rookie

yossi25 will become famous soon enough
Wow! Really usefull
I hope I will use it! thanks a lot dude!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM
That cool member

Admin Experience: Intermediate
tbofram is just really nicetbofram is just really nice
thanks. that looks like it might come in handy in the future

Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Tazmanian

JulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to beholdJulieVA is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossi25 View Post
Wow! Really usefull
I hope I will use it! thanks a lot dude!

You're welcome.

I am female.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 PM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Julie, thank you! I was hoping for a guide like this to come up, and you just about covered everything. The TOC at the beginning is great. I was hoping that someone with a lot of experience in running contests like you would find some time for the rest of us to have a look at all the planning that goes into running a successful contest. Thanks for taking the time to put all this down for us.

Great work!

gogo

P.s. I found the Avoiding Trouble particularly interesting... ahh, always the details huh ^^
Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Tazmanian

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Tazmanian

SEOWarrior will become famous soon enough
wow nice bit of info thank you.. I'm looking to run a contest in mine but i want to build it up a bit first to where its easier for members to post. we have only been up a short while but starting to get around 2 members a day.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Tazmanian

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone

Here's something else to think about:

Sometimes you have a good prize and lots of publicity ...you've done all the right things...made it easy to enter - but you just don't get a lot of active participants in the contest or giveaway.

It's a maddening problem, but you have to consider that lots of people think "why bother? I'd never win." and we can't really control that.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 PM
TAZ Rookie

PartsDr will become famous soon enough
Nice writeup. How large do you think a newer forum should be before running a contest/giveaway?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Tazmanian

Thanks PartsDr

I think that the answer to your question is "it depends."

For example, you could run a giveaway with a really big prize to get a new forum active and populated. You could run a giveaway designed to reward active members in a midsized or to encourage members to invite other people to an established forum which is in need of fresh people...

I think that Giveaways need to be aimed some goal, not necessarily the size of a forum.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 PM
loving life

Admin Experience: Guru
BrandonSheley is a name known to allBrandonSheley is a name known to allBrandonSheley is a name known to allBrandonSheley is a name known to all
Excellent writeup JulieVA!

I've ran a few contest and all have followed your suggestions
I'll have to bookmark this to make sure I remember everything with the next contest.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
evaino will become famous soon enough
Thanks! I actually had two prizes that were offered by sponsor companies that I had been sitting on. This article reminded me of it, and got the creative juices flowing to start a new contest.

My forum is new but did very well initially. But I fear it is just passing the honeymoon phase and traffic is slowing. I think this may do the trick to kickstart it again. I hope!

And special thanks for the 'how to win' part - I just had to edit my announcement to include that. oops!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Tazmanian

Glad this is helpful!

We have had such a huge success with Giveaways @ Our Mom Spot.

We have grown to the extent that lots of companies are approaching us all the time.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
TAZ Regular

RiverJ will become famous soon enough
Sadly, this is not helping me at all. I'm doing an ear bud giveaway and it's open for US only because I have to pay for shipping. We haven't gained any new members for it and the giveaways turned rather dead.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Tazmanian

Sorry to hear that RiverJ.

Keep brainstorming...

Do some googling & look at how other sites in your niche formulate their giveaways. Look for bad examples too. Examples of less than successful giveaways are a source of info because they can help you avoid mistakes.

I should back up here...Define what would make your giveaway a succes....Is it more page views, 10 new members, an increase in posts...etc etc?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Tazmanian

We've been at it for almost 1 year. We have been experimenting with different types of giveaways and marketing plans. We have grown from 34 Twitter followers to almost 4000... From 10 Facebook fans to almost 400 (More work is needed there LOL!)

Anyway...There are some "lessons learned" I would like to share. I hope this helps you!

Lessons Learned
  • Marketing!
    The better your marketing plan is for giveaways & the more giveaways you have, the more companies will want to do giveaways with you. That's because your marketing efforts will result in more people in your niche knowing about your site and companies will want to tap into that.

If you get this right, you will start receiving multiple emails with requests to do giveaways.

That's a good thing.

Word to the wise: Don't be afraid to say "no." Screen the companies & evaluate the proposed prize. You don't want to be associated with anything inappropriate, boring, negative, or offensive to your target audience.

Of course you should make every effort to say "yes" and work with a company to agree on a prize which would be interesting to your target audience...but if it isn't a fit, leave it alone. Ask the company if there is some other way you can assist them. Perhaps you could give them an honorable mention via twitter or a small forum announcement. Brainstorm & don't burn bridges!
  • Beware the Phony Prize
    Our policy is: Winners should not have to buy anything to get a prize. Watch out for companies which offer giveaway prizes like... a “discount” with a purchase or a coupon which can only be redeemed when making a purchase.
  • The Contest / Giveaway Junkie Effect
    Unfortunately, contests & Giveaways tend to attract contest & giveaway junkies - people who scour the Internet looking for contests & giveaways. They will join a site to get into the event and then they will not return...or they may return for the next one.

When forum owners do contests & giveaways, they are hoping for new people to join & to become active members. (At least - that's what we were hoping.) It is our opinion that this is not likely to not happen on a wide scale with any contest / giveaway regardless of marketing, type of prize, or $ value of the prize.

A realistic goal for community events is to help spread the word about the community & what it has to offer beyond contest / giveaway prizes. The exposure should result in a higher awareness about your site within your niche and a steady stream of new members will be the result.
  • Contests / Giveaways...Why Bother?
    Our experience has been that the immediate result of contests & giveaways is usually a few new members...many of which are only interested in winning the prize, not in participating at the site and becoming an active member of the community.

Some current members who have become less active may be prompted into action by contests & giveaways, but the effect is largely temporary.

The long term result of well marketed contests & giveaways is the chance to become more involved with and known within your niche, as well as, attract new members organically and steadily over a period of time.

I think that a forum owner should not be discouraged if only a few people enter a contest or giveaway. The key is to define realistic goals for building an online community and work towards them. Contests & giveaways are just one tool in that endeavor.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Tazmanian

My pleasure!

Update:

For 2012 we're spacing out the contests & giveaways. At one point we were doing at least 2 (or more) a month!

At this point we're focusing more on quality content, via our Guest Article Program. So, we'll probably have 1 posting contest every 2 months (whoever makes the most comments wins) & 1 giveaway a month (make a minimum number of comments to be entered to randomly win).

The contests & giveaways are a nice way to inject some life into a forum, but they don't necessarily build a "community" in our particular niche due to the Giveaway Junkie Effect I described above. In our niche there are people who deliberately look for contests & giveaways...They join the site & then they disappear. We feel that we can definitely do the contests & giveaways but we need to focus more of our time & energy on community building activities.

Last edited by JulieVA; 12-27-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Beginner
gackt has a spectacular aura about
thanks for your great info
you still do giveaway contest! I will read carefully and use your methode as a roll model for starting up my new forum site
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Tazmanian

We do still host giveaways, but we do no more than one a month.

I think that the observation that giveaways do not "build" a community still stands - at least in the mom & dad niche.

We have been experimenting with Twitter Parties. We allow guest posting in the Party announcement to collect RSVPs. This way, we get the email addresses of anyone who RSVPs and we can approach them directly to encourage them to join & participate, as well as send them invites for furture Twitter Parties. We have a high rate of people who attend the Twitter Parties joining us. Getting them to actively comment has been moderately successful.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM
TAZ Regular

Esprit has a spectacular aura about
Great tips! One tip about contest deadlines. If you set a deadline (eg: Friday May 25th, Midnight) ensure to specify a time zone. I recently held a contest and neglected to do this. Some folks were upset that the contest ended "early" for them as they were in a time zone three hours behind mine.

Admin Zone Forums > The Resource Zone > Articles