Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff

Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

View Poll Results: Have you meet someome off of a website forum?
Yes - I Married Them! 8 44.44%
No - STRANGER DANGER! 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
HIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to all
Default Have You Ever Meet Someone From An Online Community?
I could go into a big huge long talk about stranger danger and the person behind the IP could eat you and your children but we have all done this.

The biggest one being facebook. I don't think there is a person I know that hasn't meet a "stranger" off of havebook. Its so completly (not) differnt.,

But I am talking online Forums Forums. Like meeting the lovely me.... or from your own forums.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
@Exyicon

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Exyicon is just really niceExyicon is just really nice
I don't do it mainly because I don't really have the convenience of a car and money to drive. The one person I wanted to meet lived like a 10-12 hour drive away. No Car, and No Gas Money hits your plans hard.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Lord Snowblood Apple

Alex Apple is a name known to allAlex Apple is a name known to allAlex Apple is a name known to allAlex Apple is a name known to allAlex Apple is a name known to all
I married her.

Not kidding around here, either.

It was 1998-99, before forums were really around much and when much of the online interaction was on mailing lists. I'd been there a couple of years, she was fairly new but comparatively local. Met up at a gig, and that was kind of that. A risk, maybe, but no more so than many other things in life. Meeting first in a public place helped, as did actually our public online interaction amongst trusted (online) friends which helped break the ice, a lot.

Of course, life is risky, and anything could have happened I guess, but sometimes it's possible to be too cautious. Take sensible precautions, and approach meeting people with your head screwed on, and you'll be fine.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
TAZ Regular

Sasuke Uchiha is on a distinguished road
Wish I could. Most live in different countries.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
BananaQueen is a jewel in the rough
yeah, i have-i discovered that a member of a forum i was on, who i was friends with, lived very close to me, so we met up
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Not a Beginner

Admin Experience: Guru
petertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond reputepetertdavis has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I have met dozens of people that I've gotten to know via forums.

My Forums: Coin Forum - Stamp Forum - Militaria Forum - Sports Card Forum
Old 03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Community Architect

taylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to all
Met a few. Nice folks.
Facebook|Linkedin
Old 03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Tazmanian

DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Yup, bit being a local community forum its a bit easier!

Have the regular xmas drink and then a few drinks during the year for the mods.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM
TAZ Regular

ShinLi is a jewel in the rough
My old co-admin and best friend who I met online years and years ago lives in England. I live in the Netherlands. Back in the summer of 2006 I flew to England and spend a week over at his place, then we flew back together and he spend a week or two here. It was so much fun, and it was fun getting to know each other in real life and spending time together. We already knew each other quite well however, we used to skype all the time (we have a skype record of non-stop skyping for 16 hours XD.) In 2010 I again flew to England and stayed in Brighton for a week with him, was also a lot of fun, and a great place to visit.

There are a lot more people from my forum who I wish I could meet.... but alas... we do not live in the same country and it would be getting rather expensive flying back and forth to others XD. Hopefully one time I can get to meet some when I go on vacation to such countries.

On a dutch aquarium forum I met more people though, also attended on forum meeting, which was a lot of fun as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Tazmanian

HIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to allHIM is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by greamhick View Post
No it is too dangerous to meet unknown peoples.
You say that; but will there never be an exception?

Have you just not meet the right person?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exyicon View Post
I don't do it mainly because I don't really have the convenience of a car and money to drive. The one person I wanted to meet lived like a 10-12 hour drive away. No Car, and No Gas Money hits your plans hard.
But would you? If the opportunity arised?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Apple View Post
I married her.

Not kidding around here, either.

It was 1998-99, before forums were really around much and when much of the online interaction was on mailing lists. I'd been there a couple of years, she was fairly new but comparatively local. Met up at a gig, and that was kind of that. A risk, maybe, but no more so than many other things in life. Meeting first in a public place helped, as did actually our public online interaction amongst trusted (online) friends which helped break the ice, a lot.

Of course, life is risky, and anything could have happened I guess, but sometimes it's possible to be too cautious. Take sensible precautions, and approach meeting people with your head screwed on, and you'll be fine.
STRANGER DANGER!
STRANGER DANANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingBlue View Post
Wish I could. Most live in different countries.
So your very actively for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by petertdavis View Post
Are these just local shindigs? How far have you gone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor_smith View Post
Met a few. Nice folks.
Same as above; how far have you gone for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
Yup, bit being a local community forum its a bit easier!

Have the regular xmas drink and then a few drinks during the year for the mods.
CHEATER!!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM
TAZ Regular

Sasuke Uchiha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTom View Post

So your very actively for it?
Yeah, I am most of the forums I'm on I've at one time or another done a get together. It's just tough to do so when they live half across the world in England and I live in California. Though we do have a plan to do this its just one that's in the works as of now. Hopefully it'll come to fruition.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Tazmanian

MannyRUA is a name known to allMannyRUA is a name known to allMannyRUA is a name known to allMannyRUA is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by petertdavis View Post
Me too.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Community Architect

taylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTom View Post
Same as above; how far have you gone for it?
Local. Within 20 miles. ^^

There were some distant ones (4 to 6 hours away), but they were in my area for other reasons.
Facebook|Linkedin
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
TAZ Rookie

TroubleBabz is on a distinguished road
I've never "met" anyone from a forum. But, I have made a few good internet-only friendships through forums, chat sites, etc. One of my best friends for a long time I actually met through an old, now dead, forum, and the two of us joined a different forum and met a few other friends there.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 PM
TAZ Rookie

kefkah is on a distinguished road
Yes, though I had known of them for years and known them for about six months on my forum. Met up for a beer at Pax East. Was kinda nice to put a face to the moniker.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Tazmanian

AutoDuck is just really niceAutoDuck is just really nice
I've attended a couple of get togethers with forum members. Once, in Las Vegas for a moderator only meet up, and once for a group of forum regulars in Nashville.

Awesomely fun times.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Tazmanian

markwein is just really nicemarkwein is just really nice
I've met a ton of people from my forum...some are customers in my business but my business also becomes a tourist destination when forum embers from other parts of the country (or world in one case) are in southern California,. We also have a meetup of sorts in West Virginia sponsored by one of our members...
Old 03-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Cool Guy on Taz

fattony69 is a glorious beacon of lightfattony69 is a glorious beacon of lightfattony69 is a glorious beacon of light
I've met a few members on my forum. It was a fun time by all.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
This space for rent

Nev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant futureNev_Dull has a brilliant future
Nope. I've never met anyone from forum in RL. Nothing to do with stranger danger; I just don't like real people much.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Tazmanian

Namorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond repute
I met a women three weeks ago on the internet. We chatted a lot and after two weeks I decided to meet her, despite the danger (and the money I paid for the train ticket). It was really wonderful. I can't complain. It doesn't mean it would always be this good, though, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev_Dull View Post
Nope. I've never met anyone from forum in RL. Nothing to do with stranger danger; I just don't like real people much.
I know what you mean.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff