Generating Revenue Offsetting the Cost of Maintaining Your Site with Affiliate Programs, eCommerce, Subscriptions, Donations, Advertising, and Targeted Sponsorships - Online Payment Options: Paypal, CC gateways, 2checkout.com and more.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Huntsville Car Scene

Admin Experience: Advanced
Samir is a jewel in the rough
Default VigLink vs SkimLinks?
I'm signed up with VigLink and have just recently heard of SkimLinks. Obviously, they're doing similar things, but does anyone have experience with both? I'd love to hear some opinions.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Apocalypse Admin

LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Essentially the same. If you refer publishers instead of just sales, viglinks provides you a piece of those referred publishers' own revenue for up to a year, which could make a large difference if you refer new publisher whose own sites bring a lot of sales (regardless of the performance at your own site).

Skimwords being an obtrusive type of service, that might be one of my gripes with Skimlinks (part of the same coin). Theyre relatively larger and more established online, so it might be worth a look, especially if you want Skimwords.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM
loving life

Admin Experience: Guru
BrandonSheley is a name known to allBrandonSheley is a name known to allBrandonSheley is a name known to allBrandonSheley is a name known to all
I've been using driving revenue aka viglinks for a few years, very happy with the results.
Skimlinks is essentially the same thing at viglinks, just another option to check out.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Tazmanian

MarkR is a name known to allMarkR is a name known to allMarkR is a name known to allMarkR is a name known to all
I currently have Skimlinks on my communities and I'm very pleased with the results, I wrote a review of Skimlinks which can be found here: http://www.bunkmedia.net/v4/skimlink...ams-made-easy/ (note that my website is still a bit under construction and some pages may not be populated).

As for VigLink, I don't have any experience with it yet, I plan on implementing it on a community I own. Although I heard that is a very good program and many people have had a lot of success with it.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Tazmanian

VigLink has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadCrow View Post
Skimwords being an obtrusive type of service, that might be one of my gripes with Skimlinks (part of the same coin). Theyre relatively larger and more established online, so it might be worth a look, especially if you want Skimwords.

Larger and more established?

VigLink Sites: 16,104 sites (a bit lower than actual, but it gives some perspective)
http://trends.builtwith.com/ads/VigLink

SkimLinks Sites: 3,163
http://trends.builtwith.com/ads/SkimLinks

VigLink / Driving Revenue signed on it's first publisher in August of 2008. Skimlinks either November or December of 2008.

Sign Up today and start making money without any impact to the user experience or your existing advertising efforts.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Tazmanian

Viral is a glorious beacon of lightViral is a glorious beacon of lightViral is a glorious beacon of light
I have another post on here somewhere that compares the two. I run a handful of forums and tested both services on various combinations of them. My findings were that, for my niche at least, viglink performed significantly better in terms or pure revenue, almost twice as much. The CTRs were about the same, but viglink paid quite a bit more.

Now I noticed that skimlink was apparently missing a VERY important affiliate in my niche that was a high earner and told my account rep. She informed me that they have an "opt in" policy and she would make sure I was added to their list, but had I not been comparing services, I would have never known this and never known to ask to be opted in to such an important partner! Who knows what other affiliates also have "opt in if requested" rules that I haven't accidentally stumbled upon.

Even after I made that request, Viglink out-performed skimlinks by maybe 30-35%. I have since converted 6 or my 7 sites to viglink. I still keep one on Skimlinks because I don't want to give up on them completely or sever my account with them.

I will say this - IMO, skimlinks dashboard feels more fleshed out and does a much better job of showing me what's going on, and they do have skimwords (in-text ads) as an added benefit, if you want to turn those on. However, I'm on record has having said I can't stand in-text ads as a user and refuse to submit my members to such outrageous abuse. For ease of use, I suppose it's an added benefit to consider, though I can't imagine they perform as well as Vibrant Media or other full fledged in-text ad companies.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
TAZ Rookie

SkimAlicia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigLink View Post
Larger and more established?

VigLink Sites: 16,104 sites (a bit lower than actual, but it gives some perspective)
http://trends.builtwith.com/ads/VigLink

SkimLinks Sites: 3,163
http://trends.builtwith.com/ads/SkimLinks

VigLink / Driving Revenue signed on it's first publisher in August of 2008. Skimlinks either November or December of 2008.
These numbers are not necessarily a useful judge of size or how established a firm is, nor does it take into account the size of a single website.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:02 PM
TAZ Rookie

EUA is on a distinguished road
I cannot find good comparison between VigLink and Skimlinks. So I apply both of them for my sites.
And I make a comparison for you.
You can look it from here:
http://erdem_ua.users.sourceforge.ne...skimlinks.html
Old 08-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Tazmanian

Joeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant futureJoeychgo has a brilliant future
Recent discussions on vB.com. People complaining about not getting payments from Skimlinks.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ying-SkimLinks

I buy forums and I am actively looking. PM me for details.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 AM
TAZ Rookie

Vcize is on a distinguished road
I've not heard many people who've tried both say that they preferred skimlinks.

Take it for what it's worth...
Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
terrymason has a spectacular aura about
Viglink:
Once you are accepted you can run the code on any website. They have horrible reporting if you have more than one website (there is no way to see which website is making money). It only tells you what links are most profitable.

Skimlinks:
Even after you are accepted you must apply for each website to be included (not that big of a deal). They have great reporting and it's very easy to understand. You can turn on or off skimwords (the popup ads) and it's disabled by default.

I've been with viglink for years, and skimlinks for about one year, and Skimlinks blows viglink away. You owe it to yourself to signup for skimlinks and just give them a try.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
TAZ Regular

dotpeddler has a spectacular aura about
I tried Viglink and did not see results. (That's a subjective thing, by the way. Just didn't work for me and my audience).

Also, given the portal-like aspects of my site and the propensity of my users to copy internal links in posts and such it created something of a nightmare in managing/explaining what they were seeing every time they wanted to simply copy and paste a link in a post or a blog.

My advertisers hated it as they felt it devalued their links on my site (which it didn't that I could see) but that was still their perception.

My paying customers were simply more important to me than the prospect of what I might earn through Viglink.

And, frankly, I just don't trust code that doesn't belong to me. I was stiffed years ago through affiliate links and I have a hard time dealing with that still. That's not a reflection on Viglinks at all, just a reality of how some of us feel.

When I saw the clicks I was getting it did not match to what I know my site traffic to be -- and this was on basic stuff like eBay listings we import for our niche in our marketplace. I know darn well what the mean is for that area as we've had it for years. I did not see the same click through rates via Viglink's reporting mechanism and that ultimately triggered our abandonment of the project.

I've looked at Skim Links and we're going to pass on them too for the very same reasons. Just not for us.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymason View Post
Viglink:
Once you are accepted you can run the code on any website. They have horrible reporting if you have more than one website (there is no way to see which website is making money). It only tells you what links are most profitable.
At the start of the year we introduced sources, where you can use a unique API key per site or application to track statistics independently under one login.

here's a view of the sources, as you can see you can have multiple sources for tracking.

Sign Up today and start making money without any impact to the user experience or your existing advertising efforts.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Tazmanian

Viral is a glorious beacon of lightViral is a glorious beacon of lightViral is a glorious beacon of light
Viglink - I had no idea you did this. Did you send emails out to your clients about this? I just checked and mine are all primary (along with some random string of characters). I guess I need to look into setting this up so I can track my various forums' performances.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:07 AM
TAZ Regular

That's not what my control panel looks like. I have no reference of a source on any page.

Did these changes get rolled out to everyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viglink.jpg (109.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 AM
TAZ Rookie

Question
Quote:
Viglink:

Skimlinks:
Even after you are accepted you must apply for each website to be included (not that big of a deal). They have great reporting and it's very easy to understand. You can turn on or off skimwords (the popup ads) and it's disabled by default.

I've been with viglink for years, and skimlinks for about one year, and Skimlinks blows viglink away. You owe it to yourself to signup for skimlinks and just give them a try.
With SkimLink, when your site accepted, all of SkimLink merchants enabled by default.
But with VigLink, they don't enable all Merchants! I asked question about how much merchants (%) are active at first activation and how can I add other ones later. They don't answered yet. I will add that information too my skimlinks and viglink comparison page after VigLink give answer about it
Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Viglink - I had no idea you did this. Did you send emails out to your clients about this? I just checked and mine are all primary (along with some random string of characters). I guess I need to look into setting this up so I can track my various forums' performances.
It was included in a few of the newsletters at the start of the year.

Quote:
That's not what my control panel looks like. I have no reference of a source on any page.

Did these changes get rolled out to everyone?
Yes, everyone has these changes. Go to the bottom of the account page and you'll see instructions for adding sources.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUA View Post
With SkimLink, when your site accepted, all of SkimLink merchants enabled by default.
I'm almost 100% certain that is not true.

There are some merchants, primarily in the clothing/fashion verticals that want to approve publishers on a case by case basis, this is not unique to VigLink. I'm sure Skimlinks is under the same constraints. For merchants that want more control, we provide a merchant interface where they can choose publisher sites that send them traffic.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:18 AM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
I'm almost 100% certain that is not true.

There are some merchants, primarily in the clothing/fashion verticals that want to approve publishers on a case by case basis, this is not unique to VigLink. I'm sure Skimlinks is under the same constraints. For merchants that want more control, we provide a merchant interface where they can choose publisher sites that send them traffic.
This is what SkimLinks CEO said, I couldn't know if its true or not but merchants might trust SkimLinks review. I don't know but I know that VigLink doesn't answered my question about activation of merchants yet.

Might it's better to ask here,
Quote:
I wonder how much VigLink merchants active at first day? Please try indicate
both in number and percentage.

Also want to how passive merchants are become activate and start to
paying money for links? Is it automatically process or publisher needed
to ask you about activation? How publishers could know about passive
merchants that could activated?
Can you give some detail/information about this process?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 AM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Yes, everyone has these changes. Go to the bottom of the account page and you'll see instructions for adding sources.
I see, the instructions are to send an email...

The reason I'm so frustrated with this is that I had this same complaint 6-12 months ago. I posted on getsatisfaction (the only support system you had at the time) and I was told to send in an email. After doing that there was never a response.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viglink.jpg (87.4 KB, 12 views)

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Generating Revenue