Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
Yes you are making 2 websites. The one on your own computer is considered a testing site. The one you can try adding new things without having to worry if you break it apart

It's a standard practice - you never know if the new add-on you download will work. It might break your website apart. So it's always nice to have another copy to try it out.

It's not necessary. But imagine, your real forum is up and running. And you have quite a number of members joining. Do you want to risk trying new things right onto that forum? With no guarantee?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 AM
TAZ Regular

ET07 is on a distinguished road
I am struggling to find a portal to install. One says "FIND MOD" corrupt during hte install process, another says "Header inaccuracte" or some crap. I want to give up !!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Tazmanian

Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
Don't give up. The more you do it the better you'll become I have repeatedly installed and deleted many forum over and over again before I get to where I am. One reason trying things out on your own machine is so good lol.

I wrote my own script for my portal by the way. http://www.all-final.com/home
Old 01-26-2011, 01:10 AM
TAZ Regular

one thing ot mention, I was using the MAMP but everytime I install something be it portal or somethign else it crashes the entire site. it says "localhost:888" ect etc doesn't exist or is broken and I have no idea why, i keep re-installing and got tired of doing that. not sure what is happening on that front.

Does taht mean you did all the *(:_)(*@$@# (loll) those things yourself from scratch? looks awesome !!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 AM
TAZ Regular

for instance, this is on error tryign to install Portal Board3....

"nexpected header, ending loop"
Old 01-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Tazmanian

hmm did a little googling around and seems like other people using osx have similar errors too.

you might want to read around this thread http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewt...=225&t=1946165
Old 01-26-2011, 02:24 AM
TAZ Regular

ok i can't uninstall a mod called "latest forum topics"

keeps saying can't find "MOD" as one of the reasons it wont uninstall.

than htis is the error I get under one of my styles after I tried to "force uninstall"

/public_html/cache/tpl_AeroRed_forumlist_body.html.php on line 118
which hisn't showing a SINGLE forum or category, just shows this error instead.

what on earth is this?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 AM
TAZ Regular

this is so frustrating !

it is saying line 107 now.

I uninstalled, restarted my ftp, reinstalled my theme and still same error only with that theme though.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 AM
TAZ Regular

whatever i try to uninstall gives this error (mod wise)...

The Find specified by the MOD could not be found
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Tazmanian

calm down, this is typical when dealing with complicating scripts such as forum I'm sorry tho that I cannot help you. I cannot really diagnose the problem without playing with the code myself. Best place to ask I suppose would be to the owner of that mod, or the community that uses/supports it.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 AM
TAZ Regular

is vBulletin an easier software to use?

I heard phpBB has TOO many script editing and bbcoding etc as opposed to some other ones. Is taht true?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Tazmanian

I have no experience with vB. vB is not free by the way.

Every forum software will require some degree of editing, it depends on what you're trying to do. There are some add-ons that will work simply just by uploading it while some others require code editing. Usually you can find quite a detailed explanation bundled with the add-on tho.

I still keep my old old phpbb version of my forum. It's no longer in use. The row of images were hand-coded.
http://all-final.com/forumold/
Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 AM
TAZ Regular

u made the theme custom? cuz i doubt anything like that exists to d/l for ppl.

how many forums do u have? do u make money off all of urs combined monthly?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Tazmanian

I modified the default theme. Replaced the top and bottom part with my own design. The rest are just css editing to move stuff around a bit and change colors.

That's how you start. You look at available themes to see which one you like the most. And you add your own modification on top. There are a lot of nice theme out there tho that will work without much change to it

I only own 1 forum but I have been with it for over 15 years. And no I don't make money from my forum, it's just a hobby.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 AM
TAZ Regular

is it true ppl can make about $500 a month off advertising with about 30,000 members?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Tazmanian

I have no idea lol. There's a thread here talking about making money, you should search for it.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started