Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 AM
TAZ Regular

ET07 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat View Post
nameserver is a little technical Domain names need to be stored on a server somewhere, right? A server that "serves" Domain names are "nameserver".

I google ezblocks and it looks like a portal for SMF forum. SMF is another free forum out there.
so what do I do with this nameserver question? i have to choose one before i complete my process and not sure do i go custom or leave it as is.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
usually the step goes like this

1. you register for a domain name. you will not have a name server yet. Without a nameserver, domain service usually provides a "park" page. Which basically is just a simple page saying that the website is under construction.

let's say you register XYZ.com

2. you go get a hosting service. They will ask what your domain name is, you enter XYZ.com

The host then will provide you with a set of nameserves, they look kinda like this

ns1.server-name.com
ns2.server-name.com

You then go back to your domain service and put that information into your domain name settings.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:43 AM
TAZ Regular

so what should I do? i am registering at namecheap.com
Old 01-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Tazmanian

Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
namecheap should be good. If you already have a name that you want then it's up to you if you want to go ahead and buy it.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
TAZ Regular

I bought it from name.com, it hadn't asked for those 2 server names u said it did it exactly how u mentioned, which is after you buy a host.

any tutorials on how to install that portal? now question, are there different themes to these portals?

some ppl have polls , some have links, some have it on the left some on the right etc.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
TAZ Regular

ok i am onto the step of connecting my filezilla ftp.

Now, do i put the username/pw of the username i created in the database of hostgator?

and how do i konw what my local directory and remote directory are?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Tazmanian

I think there are 2 possibilities

- your host might send you information about an admin page (can be called VPS, control panel, VHCS and etc.) It is in this page that you can create an FTP account, along with many other things.

- your host might send you all the FTP information.

by the way, if you register for a domain name and input the nameservers, it will need about 2-3 days before your nameservers start to be in effect.

It's been too long since I last register for any host so I don't really know anymore lol. Unless I take a look at the email.

On FTP programs, usually they'll have 2 panels. Side-by-side, or Top-bottom. Shouldn't be hard to tell which one is local because you'll be able to browse to C:\ on it.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 PM
TAZ Regular

i finally got it all going.

I just installed phpbb but I can't find the "config.php" file in my filezilla.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 AM
TAZ Regular

if i use a theme and that theme has a book lets say on the top as a picture, is tehre anyway to change that to lets say a pool instead?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Tazmanian

ET07 - for anything specific to phpBB you will need to ask on their official forum I'm not using phpBB at the moment so I really cannot help you.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM
TAZ Regular

oh ok thanks.

what do you use?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
TAZ Regular

how can I delete the mybb/phpbb sites I made with MAMP?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Tazmanian

Currently I only use IPB.

To delete your MAMP site, you have to delete them in 2 places
- delete the directory
- delete the database (though phpMyAdmin) make sure you delete the right one.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:14 AM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Currently I only use IPB.

To delete your MAMP site, you have to delete them in 2 places
- delete the directory
- delete the database (though phpMyAdmin) make sure you delete the right one.
i don't need MAMP anymore right?

I am using Filezila and have my own host now.

btw, any tips at all on making banners and a homepage? phpbb official forum is not active at all.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Tazmanian

Whether to keep MAMP or not it's up to you. To me, a local working version of my website is very important to have. Not only it's much easier and faster to learn and try things out on my own computer, I also use it as a testing platform. If I want to make change to my website, I try it out on my computer first. Once I'm confident that everything are working the way I want, I then apply them to my real website afterward.

banners - working with graphic requires their own set of tools. I use photoshop.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 AM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Whether to keep MAMP or not it's up to you. To me, a local working version of my website is very important to have. Not only it's much easier and faster to learn and try things out on my own computer, I also use it as a testing platform. If I want to make change to my website, I try it out on my computer first. Once I'm confident that everything are working the way I want, I then apply them to my real website afterward.

banners - working with graphic requires their own set of tools. I use photoshop.
do I have to install my website phpbb onto MAMP just like i did the others?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 AM
TAZ Regular

I am in the phpmyadmin and I can't find anyway to delete it.

where is the directory to delete taht as well? in the MAMPS/htdocs section?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 AM
Tazmanian

The way I work is that, I have the same forum set up on both my server and my own computer. They are set up with the same set of add-on and the same skin. When I want to add to edit anything, I do it on my own computer first. Once I'm 100% confident that it works, I appy the same change to the server version.

phpMyAdmin - browse to it with your web browser. Check the databse you want to delete and choose "drop"
Old 01-24-2011, 05:45 AM
TAZ Regular

on ur own computer with MAMP, whatever you do there wont affect "yourdomain.com" one correct? you than go into your hosts cPanel or what not to make those changes or via filezilla (ftp softwares) right?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:01 AM
TAZ Regular

actually nm it can't because u dont connect ur MAMP to ur host.

therefore, you are basically making 2 websites, one on MAMP (which is a fake website taht no one but you can see correct?) and 2) your actual real yourdomain.com one.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started