Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
The links should only work if your MAMP is running correctly (they're pointing to your own computer). Here's a screenshot of MAMP that's working

Also, if http://127.0.0.1:8888/ doesn't work, try http://localhost:8888/

most forum have very similar installation process. The files you need to edit may be different, you'll have to read the documentations.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:12 AM
TAZ Regular

ET07 is on a distinguished road
how do i go into the wordpress admin log in page where you edit themes, posts etc.

i thnk i got this figured out almost...
Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 AM
TAZ Regular

wohooo got mybb running. now my question is this...

mybb has its own admin control page, as does wordpress.

my confusoin comes here...

is myBB a forum while MAMP just allows you to run anything like forums while wordpress is basically a blog? at the end of the day all MAMP does is basically "host?"
Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 AM
TAZ Regular

ok 1) how do i install phpbb now? where do you find this information? i am googling it but no luck.

Last edited by ET07; 01-21-2011 at 05:53 AM..
Old 01-21-2011, 05:55 AM
Tazmanian

Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
MAMP is basicly a host yes. You can install as many things as you like. Best to keep them in separate folders.

For phpBB, after you unzip it, look inside the "docs" folder. Directions is in INSTALL.html.

Basicly the same thing, copy everything into the folder inside htdocs. Then browse to /yourphpBBfolder/install

z15 - is that the invisionfree forum? I've never used that service so I cannot help you.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Tazmanian

hmm and I guess it's a good time to know a little more now.

When you install these forum, they set up all the data inside a database service called MySQL. MySQL is free and is very popular.

MAMP (as I understand) comes with phpMyAdmin which helps you to browse into your database tables. You can access it from
http://localhost:8888/phpMyAdmin/

Take a look around, don't worry if you don't understand what's inside. It's a bit advance
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 AM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat View Post
hmm and I guess it's a good time to know a little more now.

When you install these forum, they set up all the data inside a database service called MySQL. MySQL is free and is very popular.

MAMP (as I understand) comes with phpMyAdmin which helps you to browse into your database tables. You can access it from
http://localhost:8888/phpMyAdmin/

Take a look around, don't worry if you don't understand what's inside. It's a bit advance

where is the mysql or its already within the host?

I already checked the last link u sent me before your post but I only see my "wordpress" admin on the left of that link, i dont see the mybb one.

mybb seems simple and nice but might be a bit too simple if you ask me for the type of forum i want.

where cna i go about looking to get a portal for the front page of the forum like a cover page?

also, anywhere else i can browse for themes/templates for a phpbb?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Tazmanian

MAMP is a set of applications. When you install it, it sets up 4 things for you (maybe more I'm not sure)

- Apache. This is what acts like server
- PHP. So you can use PHP on your machine.
- MySQL.
- phpMyAdmin

for themes I suppose you should look around their official website first. The free ones are usually list there. There are paid themes too and you'll find quite a lot of them if you google.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM
TAZ Regular

I can't seem to understand the instrucitons for the phpbb...it isn't as clear as the mybb was.

Last edited by ET07; 01-21-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Tazmanian

no. filezilla is a FTP client. You use it to connect and transfer files to your -real- server (such as godaddy)
Old 01-21-2011, 03:29 PM
TAZ Regular

oh ok.

so to clear things up a little bit on the steps to take:

1) domain name
2) host (godaddy.com)
3) software (phpbb, mybb etc)
4) install that software onto the godaddy.com host ?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Tazmanian

yes similar steps you did before. A few things you will need to be aware of

- to copy files to the server, you need to use FTP

- You will have to correctly set permission (or chmod) of the files you uploaded. Which file to set is included with the forum's install instruction.

It's not difficult, when using FTP program, just right click the file and the option to chmod/set permission will be in the pop-up menu.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Tazmanian

phpbb's instruction looks pretty clear to me... i'll give you a little run through then

Quote:
1. Decompress the phpBB3 archive to a local directory on your system.
2. Upload all the files contained in this archive (retaining the directory structure) to a web accessible directory on your server or hosting account.
- it's basicly telling you to unzip and copy the files without changing the folders/directories inside.

Quote:
3. Change the permissions on config.php to be writable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)
4. Change the permissions on the following directories to be writable by all (777 or -rwxrwxrwx within your FTP Client): store/, cache/, files/ and images/avatars/upload/.
- here's the set permission/chmod I was talking about. For MAMP you can skip this step. For real host you will have to do it.

Quote:
5. Using your web browser visit the location you placed phpBB3 with the addition of install/index.php or pointing directly to install/, e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/phpBB3/install/, http://www.mydomain.com/forum/install/ etc.
- so if your phpBB files are here
applications/MAMP/htdocs/phpBB/
you should open your browser to here
http://localhost:8888/phpBB/install

Quote:
6. Click the INSTALL tab, follow the steps and fill out all the requested information.
- straight forward.

Quote:
7. Change the permissions on config.php to be writable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)
- again, permission/chmod thing.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
TAZ Regular

yea i finally figured it out. I was doing the http://localhost (etc etc) part wrong. I was going to the wrong http so to say.

I installed it added a category and forums just to mess around.

now my question is this...how can i replace the "phpBB" header on the forum it created? I'd rather it be MYFORUM for example as opposed to that.

and some forums have pictures included in their title header how do i add that?

I guess my next step is the home page portal.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Tazmanian

It depends on the forum you're using.

- it should be an option in the control panel.
- you can also right click the logo to find out where it is kept and replace the logo file with your own.

Quote:
and some forums have pictures included in their title header how do i add that?
Skinning is a very forum-specific thing, I only use IPB at the moment so I can't really help you much. But for a start, you need to understand HTML and CSS.

If you would like to learn more about HTML and CSS (they are very essential for web masters), take a look around this web. Millions of people started from here )

http://w3schools.com/
Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
TAZ Regular

you know where I can find homepage portals? i have devoured teh web and have come out empty handed still.

BTW: how do I delete that mybb.com I made via MAMP? I have decided to go with phpbb instead.

So I just delete the file on my computer or I try to delete it from the forum itself first?
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Tazmanian

well, their official websites are usually a good place to look for whatever you're trying to add

on a quick search, http://www.phpbb3portal.com/
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 PM
TAZ Regular

is taht the homepage? like lets say for a forum taht has a homepage before you get to the threads part?

bc I have 234234 windows open and all contain "mods" or something called EZBLOCKS which i can't figure out what it is.

where did u find that on the phpbb.com site

I have also read many bad reviews about godaddy.com in terms of a "host."

any recommendations? I have read hostmonster and hostgator are pretty good too.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 AM
TAZ Regular

what is a nameserver?

I am in the process of buying a domain and it is asking if i want a custom name server or the site that is offering the registrar...what do i do here?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Tazmanian

nameserver is a little technical Domain names need to be stored on a server somewhere, right? A server that "serves" Domain names are "nameserver".

I google ezblocks and it looks like a portal for SMF forum. SMF is another free forum out there.

I have never used godaddy's hosting service before so I have no comments.

However I have been using godaddy to register all my domain names for the past 10 years so I can recommend on that part

Last edited by Panupat; 01-22-2011 at 06:31 AM..

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started