Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 AM
TAZ Regular

ET07 is on a distinguished road
also, how can I start advertising my website once I get it ready to launch?

also, most forums have a home page that isn't the "forum" section or part.

how do I go about setting that up?

Last edited by Namorat; 01-20-2011 at 05:28 PM..
Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
Those are usually called "portals" most forum softwares offer that.

Advertising is a huge subject. For a start, create a page on facebook for your website and send it to your friends. Anything more in-depth, I suggest you read around the SEO section of this forum.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Haters gunna hate.

datrue_canadian is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET07 View Post
what are these for:

10 GB Space | Unlimited Bandwidth ---- How many users can be actively online with 10 gb of space without lagging issues?

100 Email Accounts2 --------- what are these e-mail accts for?
10 MySQL Databases (1 GB each) ---- what is this?

Now if I go with the 4.99 plan, can I upgrade to 7.99 or whatever whenever I want or I have to finish that 12 month plan before upgrading.
The 10 GB Space means you can have 10GB of stuff on your server. As your forum grows, its disc space will grow. The more stuff you have on your website (graphics, games, content, etc), the more space you use up on your server. The unlimited bandwidth (i use unlimited lightly), means that you do not have a limit to the amount of downloads/uploads from pages on your site. Everytime someone visits your site, their browser downloads a page so the user can view it. This uses up what is called "bandwidth" and most hosts allot their customers a limit to ensure they have enough for all of their customers. But GoDaddy is huge, and can give out a lot of bandwidth, cheap. Starting off, you wouldnt need a lot of bandwidth. You can determine your actual needs after the first few months of the site running, just go and look at your profile with whoever you host and it will tell you how muchyou used.

Quote:
thanks guys so far you guys are great! can't believe i never found this site before.

can i find some templates on godaddy.com after I sign up for forum templates or I have to find that from another 3rd party type of website?
A template is just a skin-set. It isnt real software. It manipulates the software to give it an appearance you like. You would still need to aquire your software then you can choose a template (there are paid and free ones available) to make your site look sharp. So first, get your software, then get your templates. Everything is just a google click away.

Quote:
also, how can I start advertising my website once I get it ready to launch?
There are forums that specialize in promotion. one of them i know of is someboard.net. Again, just google it! You can also create a facebook/twitter page and invite your friends to it and ask them to invite more people so the chain continues. then use the facebook/twitter page to post controversial links to threads on your site. That will get some traffic for you!

I did it for my site yesteday. I posted a link to a thread, and within minutes had 80 guests viewing that one thread. However, few registrations from it :/ Guess I need to work on that.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Calash is just really niceCalash is just really nice
Ooh, new blood

Welcome to the wonderful work of website administration.

It sounds like you have a basic plan and some great advice. Stick with the lease expensive options for now as you are new. Running a site is rewarding but challenging so you want to minimize your losses should you lose interest.

The previous post hit on what I am going to say next but I want to expand on it. You are using the word Template alot. A template is a static theme or shell. What you are looking for, assuming you want a forum, is software. It is code, most of the time PHP that makes use of a Database called MySQL. Each software is different and has a learning curve all it's own.

This forum has sub sections for many of the popular forum softwares. By visiting them you can get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of each and find what fits your needs best

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/f...play.php?f=109

When you finally get to your design phase start small. Only have the forums that you need for the site. Each community has a feel all it's own and as yours grows you will learn what it needs and can easily add or remove content to fit the needs.

Most importantly don't get discouraged. You will get a lot of information very quickly from places like this and sometimes it will feel like more than you can handle. We were all there at some point and know how growing pains feel. Take it slow and ask questions and you will be fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 PM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrue_canadian View Post
The 10 GB Space means you can have 10GB of stuff on your server. As your forum grows, its disc space will grow. The more stuff you have on your website (graphics, games, content, etc), the more space you use up on your server. The unlimited bandwidth (i use unlimited lightly), means that you do not have a limit to the amount of downloads/uploads from pages on your site. Everytime someone visits your site, their browser downloads a page so the user can view it. This uses up what is called "bandwidth" and most hosts allot their customers a limit to ensure they have enough for all of their customers. But GoDaddy is huge, and can give out a lot of bandwidth, cheap. Starting off, you wouldnt need a lot of bandwidth. You can determine your actual needs after the first few months of the site running, just go and look at your profile with whoever you host and it will tell you how muchyou used.

A template is just a skin-set. It isnt real software. It manipulates the software to give it an appearance you like. You would still need to aquire your software then you can choose a template (there are paid and free ones available) to make your site look sharp. So first, get your software, then get your templates. Everything is just a google click away.

There are forums that specialize in promotion. one of them i know of is someboard.net. Again, just google it! You can also create a facebook/twitter page and invite your friends to it and ask them to invite more people so the chain continues. then use the facebook/twitter page to post controversial links to threads on your site. That will get some traffic for you!

I did it for my site yesteday. I posted a link to a thread, and within minutes had 80 guests viewing that one thread. However, few registrations from it :/ Guess I need to work on that.
so waht exactly are the softwares? What should I google meaning, is it called bbpb software (for ex.)? and what do those softwares do?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Tazmanian

Jack1 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
so waht exactly are the softwares? What should I google meaning, is it called bbpb software (for ex.)? and what do those softwares do?
The forum software is the software which you run your forum on, e.g. vBulletin, however vBulletin's rubbish so I'd suggest MyBB for a free software because you are new.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Calash is just really niceCalash is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1 View Post
The forum software is the software which you run your forum on, e.g. vBulletin, however vBulletin's rubbish so I'd suggest MyBB for a free software because you are new.
The irony being that you are posting that on a vBulletin powered forum

One thing you will find is that people have very strong opinions about what software they like or dislike. However what you use still is a personal decision. Do the research and find software that does the job you want it to.

MyBB is a great one to start with. SMF is another good choice that I have used in the past.

Here are the official sites for both of them

http://www.mybb.com/
http://www.simplemachines.org/
Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
TAZ Regular

Is there anyway I can test out phpbb or mybb etc before I choose? or do I need to get my domain and host first THAN try these out?

I see some forums have different layouts and colors and picture locations headings titles etc. How do I go about doing that on my site? Is taht the software giving options? a template to find?

What are your thoughts on phpbb ? I see some using this software.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM
TAZ Regular

how is the 4.99 economy pcak for 3 months from godaddy.com to start with and to see if the site is showing "any" kind of progress (i know it takes a while just saying) so i dont go into a 12 month contract.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 PM
TAZ Regular

anyone?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Tazmanian

Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
hmmmm you can test out everything from your own machine but it's a bit complicating.

Here's a start. Download this and install it on your own PC.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/a...0.exe?download

This package will install Apache + PHP + MySQL + PHPMyAdmin, pre-configured for you to use instantly. Don't be confused by the name. What this does is that it gives your ability for your windows to act like a server. For personal testing

During installation you're going to have to set a few password. Make sure you write down your password because you'll need it to set up your website.

Next, let's say you install it here.
C:\Appserv

Your website will be in
C:\Appserv\www\

Now if you copy, for example, test.txt into that folder, you'll be able to view it with internet explorer/firefox by going here.

http://127.0.0.1/test.txt

Make new folders for phpbb/mybb/ any forum script you download. They come with instruction how to install, just follow them.

Now you have a forum on your own computer for testing.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 AM
TAZ Regular

I have a Mac OSX.

does Godaddy work with mybb or vBulletin? i Konw it does with php
Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Tazmanian

For OSX, you'll need MAMP
http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

Same thing, it sets up apache, php, mysql for you automatically.

And yes those forum should work with godaddy.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:43 AM
TAZ Regular

will 10 gb be enough to start with?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Tazmanian

err yea. My forum is almsot 10 years old, very active and I barely use 1 Gb of space.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 AM
TAZ Regular

ok i got it up and running, now I am trying to find out how to install my php i d/l from the main site to this MAMP. Not sure but the instructions are a bit confusing here and there
Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Tazmanian

You mean you got MAMP up and running?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 AM
TAZ Regular

yes
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Tazmanian

Ok. So make sure your MAMP is installed to "applications" folder. Next double click MAMP and click "Start Server" button.

Keep in mind I don't own a MAC So some folder names may be different. You'll have to figure out by yourself if that happen

Next test if MAMP is working correctly. Open your web browser and go to
http://127.0.0.1:8888

If you see an Apache default page, then your server is working.

Next is the location to put your files at. Browse your computer, go to applications/MAMP/htdocs. whatever you want to use on your personal server, must be under this htdocs folder.

Let's say you're installing myBB. I would create a new folder called mybb
so now you have -> applications/MAMP/htdocs/mybb

next, look at the myBB you downloaded. Unzip, and you'll see a 2 folders "upload" and "documentation"

Go into "upload" and copy everything in there into your applications/MAMP/htdocs/mybb

Next, go to applications/MAMP/htdocs/mybb/inc/ --> rename config.default.php to config.php

(If you read the documentations, it mention about "chmod." chmod as far as I know is a linux thing. I'm not sure if you need to do that on a MAC. )

Next, open your browser and to go
http://127.0.0.1:8888/mybb/install

and that should start myBB installation process. If you can get the installation to start, the rest will be pretty straight forward. Just follow what says on the screen.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:06 AM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat View Post
Ok. So make sure your MAMP is installed to "applications" folder. Next double click MAMP and click "Start Server" button.

Keep in mind I don't own a MAC So some folder names may be different. You'll have to figure out by yourself if that happen

Next test if MAMP is working correctly. Open your web browser and go to
http://127.0.0.1:8888

If you see an Apache default page, then your server is working.

Next is the location to put your files at. Browse your computer, go to applications/MAMP/htdocs. whatever you want to use on your personal server, must be under this htdocs folder.

Let's say you're installing myBB. I would create a new folder called mybb
so now you have -> applications/MAMP/htdocs/mybb

next, look at the myBB you downloaded. Unzip, and you'll see a 2 folders "upload" and "documentation"

Go into "upload" and copy everything in there into your applications/MAMP/htdocs/mybb

Next, go to applications/MAMP/htdocs/mybb/inc/ --> rename config.default.php to config.php

(If you read the documentations, it mention about "chmod." chmod as far as I know is a linux thing. I'm not sure if you need to do that on a MAC. )

Next, open your browser and to go
http://127.0.0.1:8888/mybb/install

and that should start myBB installation process. If you can get the installation to start, the rest will be pretty straight forward. Just follow what says on the screen.
your awesome! thanks.

when i click on those links you provided, they all go to broken links or webpages...not sure why.

I am assuming the installation is the same for phpbb as is for mybb?

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started