Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Resource Zone > Interviews

Interviews One On One Dialogues With Forum Administrators, Forum Software Developers & Other Interesting People.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Admin Experience: Advanced
The Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interview with Ashley Busby - XenForo's Business Guy
Many of you will remember Ashley Busby as Jelsoft's Business Manager from 2004 until 2009. Ashley mostly worked behind the scenes back then. Now, he works with Mike and Kier as XenForo's Business Guy, and he pops his head out a lot more often now! Let's see if we can find out a little bit more about Ashley!

==========================================

What is your educational background?

My education is ongoing at the university of life and business in the real world. I have worked in numerous industries such as banking, retail and investment houses. I have gained experience in a variety of fields which has proved invaluable in my role as Business Guy.

How long have you been involved in the business of forum software development? What got you into it?

I have been directly involved with the business of forum software development for nearly 6 years. Indirectly, somewhat longer than that – I have known Kier for a long time and was aware of his involvement, in forum software, from the start. I was in awe at how forum software evolved. When the opportunity presented to become involved, I was pleased to make the change.

Are you involved in other projects besides XenForo?

Even if there was time available, which there isn’t, I would not want to be distracted by anything else other than XenForo. Obviously we all have to fit our daily lives into working with XenForo and there are times when one (daily life or XenForo) takes precedence – I’m sure can you guess which? It can sometimes make one unpopular.

What are the short, medium, and long term responsibilities of a "XenForo Business Guy"? Which takes up more of your time - day to day duties or planning ahead?

Currently the emphasis is on making XenForo available for sale. This means that there are a plethora of things that need to be in place for this to happen and I get to do the non technical bits. We are also constantly talking to each other about how we want to deal with other matters that have arisen. There is much going on behind the scenes. Our strategy for the medium term is largely dependent on the response in the short term as we have been keen not to take anything for granted or base anything on assumptions. The day to day tasks take up more time during the day and we tend to bunch our planning together in big chunks and deal with matter arising in general terms and discuss any details as and when necessary.

In the long term, the strategy is to build a product that customers (users and admins) want. There are a number of ideas that we think people will love and we as XenForo evolves we plan to implement them to extend XenForo’s appeal.

What are the usual kinds of issues you have to deal with?

We are dealing with the normal issues, agreeing on how to implement a suggestion, or not; replying to requests for, well all sorts; suggestions, translations and partnerships. We are also spending quite some time supporting each other and we are appreciative of the help we have from our moderators.

What's the hardest part of your job? The most enjoyable?

One the most enjoyable parts of all of this has been to see how well XenForo has been received. 3,500 posts in 24 hours after xenforo.com went live. The enjoyment is multi-faceted as it suggests that XenForo has hit the mark; it also fills me with pleasure to see the recognition of the hard (and very clever) work by Kier and Mike – They are amazing and I know that sounds biased, but they are!

Generally speaking, how does a company go about setting up a pricing strategy for a forum software product? A complex mathematical formula? Game theory? A conversation around a pub table?

We have spent a great deal of time debating how we position XenForo in terms of the product and pricing. Our underlying ethos is that of reason. We want those who intend to buy XenForo to know that their purchase reflects excellent value for money and enable them to support us, by buying XenForo, so that we in turn can support them by further developing XenForo. It needs to be structured to be sustainable both for the customer and for the business. One also has to take into account what is currently available and choose a strategy that feels comfortable and reasonable. Our experience gives us confidence that our structure will meet these criteria.

Both IPS and IB experienced a crisis when making a substantial change to their pricing structures. IPS worked through theirs and emerged strong, but it remains to be seen what will happen with IB (of course pricing is just part of the issue). Can situations like this be avoided or are they inevitable for successful companies in this field?

Change is always a sensitive topic. We are keen to make our intentions clear so that everyone knows our strategy as well ahead of time as is possible. We are a small company and we need to work together with our customers and by doing so, we hope to avoid such crises.

Your decision to continue working with Kier and Mike - I guess that means they're not too difficult to work with?

As I mentioned, I have known Kier for a long time. I have also known Mike for a long time now. It took some time before we decided on how and what we wanted to do and how we would do it. I think I have likened our working together as a marriage; it has its ups and downs. We keep each other in check without overly ruffling feathers and know that we are very much in this together.

Kier has been known to damage his hands, and it has been recently revealed that he is a frequent outdoor barefooter. Are these valuable commodities well insured?

If his feet are hurt, it will be easier to keep him chained to his desk. His hands are a different dilemma; we would need to have Mike write some ninja voice to text software.

What are some of your favorite things?

I have played a number of sports and whilst I am not as active as I used to be, I enjoy watching rugby and cricket. I play badminton, a bit of golf and have done some ballroom dancing. Over recent years, spending time with my family has become more and more special. Obviously, XenForo is a top favourite and I am often left with a feeling of pleasure when I see how people have received XenForo and to what Kier and Mike have done with XenForo.

What do you know now that you wish you knew 5 or 10 years ago?

I presume it is too easy to say that I wish I knew the lottery numbers. I think that looking back makes it easy to identify times when you could have done something differently and I believe that people make decisions according to the circumstances at the time, in conjunction with the experience you had at the time. I try not to look back with regret or wish I had done things differently. I suppose the only thing I wish I knew 10 years ago is that each passing day gives you more experienced and the experience that you have 10 years later make you what you are today.

What does the future hold for Ashley Busby?

I think that the future is all about XenForo and I would like to see it grow and become more special than it already is. I look forward to see the hard work that Kier and Mike have put in making XenForo highly sought after.

Thanks for taking the time out of your demanding schedule to answer our questions. Is there anything you'd like to say in closing?

I don't think there is anything I want to add right now. Lets see how this one goes.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Great interview
Old 10-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Tazmanian

Shelley is a name known to allShelley is a name known to allShelley is a name known to allShelley is a name known to all
Excellent Interview thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Another badminton player. :thumbsup:
Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Tazmanian

nguoivohinh511 is on a distinguished road
Excellent. Love how thoughtful these gentlemen behind XenForo are. Best of luck to all of them and XF
Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 AM
TAZ Rookie

EQnoble is on a distinguished road
I think they put something in the global water supply, I'm over here shaking fiendishly waiting for the release of this on the fifth. Anytime a "Business Guy" takes the time to address the people who patron the company that pays him, you can guess that he feels strongly enough about the product he is backing to get out there and let us know he wont be going anywhere. This is a confidence boost and I appreciate any company who treats their customers like people at an eye-to-eye level. This software has my stamp not only because of the software itself, but the security I feel when I know people like Ashley and the rest of the staff would actually take the time to message me back when I have a question or comment. I'm am not worried about some failure down the road. They are repaving it.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Ave atque vale

vijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud ofvijayninel has much to be proud of
I dont think it will be a cakewalk for Xenforo in the forum software market. It will take them time to challenge the establishment. However I do think that they have a good chance of making it big in the market.

Thanks for the great interview Sandman.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:00 PM
TAZ Regular

dragonfly is a jewel in the rough
Wonderful Interview!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Guru
Brogan is just really niceBrogan is just really nice
I've actually been fortunate enough to speak with Ashley and he's a solid guy.

Nice to learn a bit more about him.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM
TAZ Regular

wtrk is on a distinguished road
Weak interview, you might as well have copy and pasted his old interviews about vBulletin and just replaced vBulletin with Xenforo. You didnt even ask about the most important issue, whats going to happen to Xenforo in the long run with the IB lawsuits, etc.. I think Xenforo is a nice product, but I wouldnt risk my lively hood switching to it without knowing whats going to happen with the lawsuits.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Administrator

The Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrk View Post
Weak interview, you might as well have copy and pasted his old interviews about vBulletin and just replaced vBulletin with Xenforo. You didnt even ask about the most important issue, whats going to happen to Xenforo in the long run with the IB lawsuits, etc.. I think Xenforo is a nice product, but I wouldnt risk my lively hood switching to it without knowing whats going to happen with the lawsuits.
This interview was conducted before the litigation was announced.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:14 PM
viam aut inveniam...

Akela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrk View Post
...I wouldnt risk my lively hood switching to it without knowing whats going to happen with the lawsuits.
Using XF would be a risk to your livelihood?

It is better to cross the line and face the consequences than to stare at the line for the rest of your life.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akela View Post
Using XF would be a risk to your livelihood?
If he's using the software, and it has to be shut down/
Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 AM
TAZ Rookie

Goldpoll is on a distinguished road
Great interview.

Seems I find a nice place.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpvr View Post
If he's using the software, and it has to be shut down/
That's the only reason I bought IPB, I really like XenForo but the thought of being screwed if they loose the law suit kept me from buying it.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 AM
ALL TIME NEWBIE

Admin Experience: Beginner
ukn is on a distinguished road
Nice read. Thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM
TAZ Regular

TwoPalmTrees is on a distinguished road
What's the latest with the Internet Brands lawsuit? It seems to have gone on a while now.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Community Architect

taylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to alltaylor_smith is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPalmTrees View Post
What's the latest with the Internet Brands lawsuit? It seems to have gone on a while now.
XenForo's forums have updates. xenforo.com/community. Prolly a better place to ask than a 2-year-old interview thread.
Facebook|Linkedin
Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
TAZ Rookie

jordi_lover is on a distinguished road
nice interview thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
TAZ Rookie

rdokoye is on a distinguished road
I guess from the entire interview, the thing that struck me the most was the fact that, it appeared as though he was self taught, if Iím not mistaken. This to me shows that he has real passion for what heís doing, maybe thatís something that we can all take from the interview, that passion overrides all.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Leader of Skooppa

s.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant futures.molinari has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdokoye View Post
I guess from the entire interview, the thing that struck me the most was the fact that, it appeared as though he was self taught, if Iím not mistaken. This to me shows that he has real passion for what heís doing, maybe thatís something that we can all take from the interview, that passion overrides all.
If only most companies felt the same way.....

Scott

Admin Zone Forums > The Resource Zone > Interviews