Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:37 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
WallyNet is a jewel in the rough
Hey heromal I just dropped by your site to check out the changes and it isn't working. There are no graphics just some text, also it only shows a hand full of posts and I know you said before that you had broke 500.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
heromal has a spectacular aura about
I made a backup of the database and for some reason every time that happens it deletes the graphics and everything... and regarding the 500 posts...
The stupid webhost I had (NEVER USE 000WEBHOST!!!) wouldn't let me make a database backup. You may be wondering "why not do it from the mybb acp?" Well the ******* webhost is so bad that every time I try to login an sql error pops up saying server query interrupted(or something to that effect). I asked around and guess where the problem lies? WITH THE WEBHOST. So I emailed them and submitted a support ticket all to no avail(this is around the time I'm trying to change to paid hosting.). So since I had to make a new database after they promptly closed my account for no reason, I started up a new forum and website, and here I am now, with few of the members from before joining back and restoring the forum. However the graphics problem should be fixed soon. I hope you didn't think I was lying about the amount of posts I had by the way, just so happens that luck wasn't on my side. Now I see why kids my age don't do these kinds of things...
Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 PM
TAZ Regular

Never crossed my mind, when I saw the state of your site I figured that there had been a crash or something like that. That kind of thing totally sucks, I've been through it once. Luckily I had a backup of the database - though the site itself had to be rebuilt as it was trashed. Good luck with the fixes, I hope that it all works out.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Tazmanian

Well I got everything looking right now, just need to get the posts back up.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Tazmanian

I have a member that is very talented with graphics and he has made the site look better than it ever had before. Now I'm working on the blog
Old 12-17-2010, 05:04 PM
TAZ Regular

Looking good.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:31 AM
Tazmanian

Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 PM
TAZ Regular

pqphillips is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by heromal View Post
I'm not discouraged yet(it would take a whole year of inactivity) but it would be nice to have accounts that i didnt create myself on my forum. The only account i didnt create is blood. Anyway,what would you recommend for my forum to make it stand out from sites such as http://cod4boards.com? I might add an arcade but i wasnt so sure about it. I posted here because i figured I was doing something wrong since the forum has been open since august 20th and i only have 1 unique member(brad04 is some spammer guy)
I would get on social networking sites and pimp out your site to contacts that might be interested in the content.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Huntsville Car Scene

Admin Experience: Advanced
Samir is a jewel in the rough
I applaud your efforts and determination. I wish I had opportunities like you do when I was that young. I had drive just like you.

I checked out your site and it looks good. But it does look empty. Forum communities are like parties. When you go to a party or hang out with friends, doesn't a larger group attract more people? It's the same thing online. Collapse some of the forums under their categories so the number of posts and such looks bigger. Keep adding more content and engaging your members with intriguing topics that you may find on other sites. Keep building the relationships with your members and you'll continue to grow.

Use Facebook to attract members. Make a fan page, get Facebook connect installed to make logging in easier for new members, make a group page and mirror the discussions there too, engaging the Facebook audience.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Last edited by Samir; 01-04-2011 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: forgot to add facebook suggestion
Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Tazmanian

Thanks pqphillips and samir for the social networking idea, I've decided to implement it into my forum. I'm also deleting some of the under/never used forums and making some of the more specific forums more general.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Tazmanian

I guess the topic now should be "5 months and improving" =p. If not for the (now minor) hosting setback, I would be at 1k posts right now.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Tazmanian

Members started posting more now, causing more people to join it seems.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started