Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
CMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akela View Post
"Clan" has a strong aura of a shooter, while "guild" - of an RPG. In other words, two ways to same the same thing.
Agreed. And although I am part of a "guild" I have never really asked myself or sought out the answer to that question. So let me google some stuff and see what sort of answer I can find, educate us all perhaps.

What is a guild?:
  • A guild is an association of craftsmen in a particular trade
  • Usually means a club (a group of people with similar interests).

What is a clan?:
  • A clan is a group of people united by actual or perceived kinship and descent
  • The word "clan" is derived from the Scots Gaelic word "clann" meaning the children, offspring or descendants.
  • The online use of "clan" is a group of people that play online games. Each connected group forms a clan and competes against other groups.

The results are interesting to say the least... Seems the gaming industry has it all ass backwards when it comes to "CLAN" and someone somewhere was uneducated enough to allow the term to be adopted into the mainstream of gamers. IMO clan has nothing to do with Gaming unless the whole family have their own Clan, with TV's and Console's in front of them playing at the same time... No? lol

I would suggest the term Guild over Clan, as clan is obviously a spin off as I said above.

I am in a guild "DP GUILD" been with them for... well a really long time now. lol

Although my activity has been extremely low for the past few years we play a variety of games, including RPG's although its only been the past few years that we have taken RPGs into consideration and provided the TS and boards areas to cover conversation and such related to RPG. It was always FPS and such.

I recommend checking out the board there and seeing if anything there may be ideas (in terms of set -up and conversation starters etc) that you may be able to use on your board
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
heromal has a spectacular aura about
I did my own research and theres no wii game servers so that kind of defeats the purpose of that. And if they did I doubt I'd have enough money anyway. And I would rather not restrict it to just one clan website. Maybe ill add in a section to the forum about clans. One section can have all the latest clan news regarding call of duty(wii only until i get a wider audience). Another one could have a section for people to advertise and recruit members to their clans. Any more suggestions for forums to add(the ones you gave me were very good)? I wanted to keep it to a minimum for now.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Tazmanian

CMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to all
I think you may have mis read my post, or perhaps I did not explain what I meant in the correct manner... Either way you've got the jist of it for sure maybe work with that and promotions. Read my previous posts a few times til I make better sense to you... and no that's not any offense to you, I'm just starting to think I speak a different language some days. LOL!!

What exactly have you done in the sense of promotional methods? Can you brainstorm with me, perhaps there are cost free ways that you may be missing, and able to promote your site without links and without needing to do anything too much more exerting or time consuming than what you're doing already?

How do you spend your days? What do you do for work/school?, how old are you? define yourself. You don't necessarily need to do so here if you prefer you can always pm me or if I have time I will register on your boards. really busy for the rest of the week though. got 5 kids kickin around and demanding my every moment of attention, perhaps not all at once, but one at all times. HAHAHAH
Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Tazmanian

I'm fourteen years old, which pretty much explains why it may seem that I have no interest in promoting my forum. I normally prefer not to say my age since it gives some people...biased(for lack of a better word) opinions and they may tell me to go to school or something like that. Regardless of my age, though I am willing to put all of my free time into promoting and improving my forum. I've submitted my site to 180 search engines(with help from a website) and have my link in my signature at all of the forums i frequently visit(hackforums,commujnity.mybb,here, and a few others). I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something that i could easily be doing right now.

Most of the time when i get home from school at around 4 pm ill start on my homework which is 30 mins max. By then my mom has gotten my 2 baby sisters(2 and 3 years old) home and I basically babysit. I dont have my own computer and my mom and dad are both using their own for writing papers and whatever else they're required to do to get their phds. May sound weird but hey thats me.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Tazmanian

Well. with that said, as long as your ability to communicate is not lacking (so far so good) your age really should not matter. You've been doing well enough thus far, you are clearly very interested, eager, and willing to learn what ever you need to in order to get your board up and busy, as well as better yourself as an admin -otherwise you would not be here right? -

My advice to you, would be to always take a bit of time to really read (especially mine) posts that you get in response to your threads and contributions here on TAZ. Or any other site. It's very easy to mis read or take things the wrong way. where it may seem someone is attacking you, it may just be a lack of "time" (in many senses) which makes what is posted, and what you read two complete opposites.

If you think "which pretty much explains why it may seem that I have no interest in promoting my forum" yourself, then that is your choice, perhaps you are being hard on yourself? Like i said, you're posting and inquiring. puttin in the effort. so the thought that you're lacking at all, never crossed my mind.

There are a number of people on this site that are willing to asssit, so your at the right place for sure. I will try to compile a list of things that I think may be of some assistance to you also.

Think smarter, not harder Every time you meet someone new, hang out with friends, you are opening the doorway to promote your site. Just consider the right time and place for that.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Tazmanian

Just googled "cod wii forums" and my forum showed up on the first page. Thats an improvement from before,where I had to type"codwiiforums" all in one word,sometimes even adding .com to the end of it.

(edit:typing while you were posting) I just started at high school im going to tell some of my new friends about the site. And indeed I am at the right place for support. Every other place i asked for help at is lackluster in that department.

wow twitter works wonders when it comes to getting traffic.

Almost 100 posts :d
Old 09-19-2010, 11:27 AM
TAZ Rookie

vash is on a distinguished road
Looks Good... Gaming Forums are notoriously hard work as I am finding! Its a very competitive area...

I recently took over a gamersforum at http://gamersforum.org. If you ever decide you have enough of running a forum you can always merge it into mine!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heromal View Post
Almost 100 posts :d
Keep at it before you know it, you will have 1000
Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Tazmanian

hit 150 today. I got a lot of good ideas from them and myself. I just need to get the word out more it seems.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:40 AM
TAZ Rookie

Davidben83 is on a distinguished road
When I clicked on your link it seemed to take about ten seconds to open, I do not see the point of the calendar as it seems to be empty and finally I think you could improve the forum interface as it all seems to merge into one - i.e. there is not a table.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
TAZ Rookie

CrazyProgrammer is on a distinguished road
Took me ages but i reached 600 members on my gaming forum took me time but i got there in the end :/ now after some break its now 900 so stick at it and it will grow
Old 09-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Tazmanian

I reached 25 today
Old 10-03-2010, 12:34 PM
TAZ Regular

viewcaster has a spectacular aura about
I just did a search for "wii forums" and your site came up number 31 (not counting returns from same domains). I think thats really good.

I'm waaay from knowledgeable on seo stuff, but maybe a meta tag for description? I don't think it helps you serp any (that will definitely come), but I think it would help the description under your title on the search return page be a little more accurate.

Keep it up!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Tazmanian

Made a mistake in adding a quick register plugin to my forum. Now i have attracted 100 bots that will never come back lol. I have gotten a few members that will probahly be the "founding members" as I like to call them. By the way, dont try that fake member ****. It just makes it even more lonely, and you have to keep it up when people get used to having conversations with your fake member. Just a quick update
Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 PM
TAZ Rookie

thegumpdotnet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heromal View Post
By the way, dont try that fake member ****. It just makes it even more lonely, and you have to keep it up when people get used to having conversations with your fake member.
HA!, This quote just made me LOL. I just started a new forum and I feel for you. I haven't responded to myself yet, but the people helping are probably getting bored.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Tazmanian

I bet my first few members got bored and left too,lol.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM
TAZ Regular

sammywantsya is on a distinguished road
wow this is amazing where your learning from others and where it got you...

im pretty amazed on how you changed things around for yourself as an admin and taking care of your members...

what makes it more interesting your just 14 yrs old and started to learn quick here... man young kids these days are much different when i was a kid back then....

i had seen your forums and it looks great
Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Tazmanian

thanks for your compliments and encouraging words! Ill be sure to keep everyone updated,think of it as my diary
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 PM
TAZ Rookie

truejeff is a jewel in the rough
hey heromal, just want to tell you you are doing great for someone your age. Maybe even better than some adults out there. Keep up the good work!!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Tazmanian

thanks it wasn't very easy but then again the only thing that does come easy for me is math . Hopefully I can keep the momentim going and maybe add ads in ~4 months. Finally I can see some of my hard work paying off(did i already say that?)

reached 500 posts today got a few dedicated members now. I think I'm (finally) on my way after 3 months.

I got better hosting etc. and redid website what do you think I can improve?

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started