Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
heromal has a spectacular aura about
Default 2 weeks and nothing...
I'm not discouraged yet(it would take a whole year of inactivity) but it would be nice to have accounts that i didnt create myself on my forum. The only account i didnt create is blood. Anyway,what would you recommend for my forum to make it stand out from sites such as http://cod4boards.com? I might add an arcade but i wasnt so sure about it. I posted here because i figured I was doing something wrong since the forum has been open since august 20th and i only have 1 unique member(brad04 is some spammer guy)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Shut up and run!

Admin Experience: Advanced
MisterPersonality is a name known to allMisterPersonality is a name known to allMisterPersonality is a name known to allMisterPersonality is a name known to all
Join TAZ's Launch Team and also join the Exchange. What kind of advertising are you doing? You know you can add a signature link here on TAZ!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Tazmanian

yes i did know i could add my link to my signature but i didnt want it to appear as if i joined here just to advertise my site. And the last time the launch team thread got posted on was a while ago so I thought it had been discontinued or something thanks for replying so quickly by the way.

edit: just realized i gotta go to my user cp .

Last edited by heromal; 09-05-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM

Admin Experience: Intermediate
JayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to behold
Don't get discouraged, cuz it may be quite sometime (even if you do everything right) before you can touch that site.

Finish the look of your forum, load it full of some spectacular content. Use your fake accounts to do that as well so you give the appearance of activity. I notice that in the 2 weeks you only have 25 posts, you can't expect people to rush in to sign up on an empty forum. It does get old talking to yourself, been there, but if you stick to it just might pay off.

The arcade most likely won't bring you in any members.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Tazmanian

yeah thats why I wasnt so quick to add it. How do you feel about my shoutbox though? I thought it would be an easy way to exchange friend codes,etc. to find games quickly. Plus some other related forums dont have them.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 PM

JayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to beholdJayCeeS is a splendid one to behold
I don't have opinions on shoutboxes/chatrooms. Some say can't have them, others say they are needed.

In your case, I don't think it will hurt you either way.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 PM
viam aut inveniam...

Akela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud of
Here is a recent thread on chat/shoutboxes:
http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...light=shoutbox

It is better to cross the line and face the consequences than to stare at the line for the rest of your life.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Tazmanian

im going to take it off before i actually get members that start using it. Thanks for that link.
Oh yeah and it seems i wont be able to submit my thread in the launch team for 6 more weeks?
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
HallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud ofHallofFamer has much to be proud of
Well you need more threads and posts to attract members, or perhaps adding some sort of unique features will help you promote your forum?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Tazmanian

Im looking around for unique features to add but first im going to set a daily goal of at least 50 posts per day. Then I'll brainstorm different features i could add. Any ideas off the top of your head?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Tazmanian

DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
Wheres the link to your foum?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Tazmanian

How dumb of me i forgot to add it in...http://codwiiforums.com
Old 09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Tazmanian

DaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of lightDaveL is a glorious beacon of light
The picture on the left hand side is HUGE! Leaves a massive blank space on the right hand side apart from the "Calendar etc" links at the tp which look out of place.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Tazmanian

i have photoshop but dont know how to use it to make logos. Ill try to find a smaller banner. Also i know its pink but noone can tell me how to change it. Only place i havent asked is here.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM
TAZ Regular

EagleHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heromal View Post
I'm not discouraged yet(it would take a whole year of inactivity) but it would be nice to have accounts that i didnt create myself on my forum. The only account i didnt create is blood. Anyway,what would you recommend for my forum to make it stand out from sites such as http://cod4boards.com? I might add an arcade but i wasnt so sure about it. I posted here because i figured I was doing something wrong since the forum has been open since august 20th and i only have 1 unique member(brad04 is some spammer guy)
Just out of interest my friend started that forum way back when it began and sold it for a small amount of money and now look at it!

In terms of members not joining I wouldn't worry I was in the same position for about 3 weeks and now I have quite a few members signing up each day.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Tazmanian

cool thats an interesting fact and how many members should i create besides myself?i currently have 2 other than me that i created I think ill make one more.

EDIT: out of interest(and since I've asked everyone else) what did you do to start off your forum?

Should i find a partner to work with here on the community cooperation(cant remember name) forum? I remember when i made my first forum i had someone to work with to make posts and start conversations and it was much more enjoyable. I know people advise against it but I think I'll try it anyway.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
CMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to all
Quote:
Should i find a partner to work with here on the community cooperation(cant remember name) forum? I remember when i made my first forum i had someone to work with to make posts and start conversations and it was much more enjoyable. I know people advise against it but I think I'll try it anyway.
I think that you should just invite a few friends that will support you and help make posts on the board through out the day. even if it is just in your random chat section.

Cod is a pretty pimp game. I used to play it religiously. (although never on the wii) Maybe start topics that have a "brag" offer to them (trophies, current class set-up, perks and etc...?) give your guests a reason to sign up? also try some promoting through voice chat... if that even a possibility, again i have not used a wii for much, do they have voice chat? maybe set up a boards for top servers that do not have a forums or even start a board for wii guilds?

There are many options available to you, think smarter, not harder.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Tazmanian

Wow those are some awesome ideas! Thanks alot

edit: i started thinking about it and whats the difference between a clan and a guild? Theres no difference as far as i know but just making sure. And when you said set up a board for servers/guilds did you mean make the whole forum about them or make a category titled "guilds" for example and dedicate it to guilds?

Last edited by heromal; 09-08-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 PM
viam aut inveniam...

Akela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud ofAkela has much to be proud of
Quote:
...whats the difference between a clan and a guild?
"Clan" has a strong aura of a shooter, while "guild" - of an RPG. In other words, two ways to say the same thing.

It is better to cross the line and face the consequences than to stare at the line for the rest of your life.

Last edited by Akela; 09-08-2010 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Tazmanian

cool thanks thats pretty much what i was thinking.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started