Servers and Hosting Server Issues - Shared, Virtual, and Dedicated Hosting Options.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Rockin' the Boat

Admin Experience: Intermediate
skipper is on a distinguished road
Default 1and1.com
I used a variety of other servers over the last 3 years, either free (dur to knowing somebody) or cheap pay for space servers.... With many mistakes and errors, I have learned you get what you pay for....

I finally stumbled upon 1and1 last fall, when the server I was using decided he didn't want the hassles anymore and shut down...

Gotta give them a thumbs up, I picked the developers package for $19 a month, 100gb of traffix bandwidth, and 4gb of storage space........ only major drawback is lack of cpanel, it uses an html type cpanel, that lets you get the job done tho, but tends to take a little longer to configure stuff..

Been very reliable...... you can store unlimited domains on it with the developers package and get 3 mysql databases of 100mb.... smaller plans are $5 a month with a single database...

I got a few local business with basic hosting requirements to pay $100 a year to cover my costs of their server and they only draw a few hundred megs of bandwidth per month so barely noticeable...

The stats available are awesome, they show complete charts that show where users are coming from, browser type, etc...

Since November, the server has been "down" maybe 3 or 4 times, for not much longer than 15 minutes, which is fairly reasonable...

however, one of the boards was running phoBB 2.0.8 and there was an exploit bug that basically killed every html/php/htm file on the server, this in turn, also killed every other file that was in a subdirectory from the root folder...

1and1 could not restore this, they can only restore the entire server in the event of a huge crash... That was my fault, I just assumed they could restore portions of a client's stuff if needed...

(ote to self, make a new backup of your stuff soon)

I'd give them a 2 thumbs up, and would recommend for any friend in need of hosting.... lots to offer.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:38 PM
BBSZenDex Admin

AlienSector is on a distinguished road
It's nice to hear a good review for 1and1 as not too many customers have been raving about them in the past, check www.webhostingtalk.com for what I mean.

The one thing I do wonder about is the server restoration as if it was a CPanel server, they could have restored single accounts with backups.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Wit.

Admin Experience: Advanced
Quincy Wisdom is an unknown quantity at this point
I also use a 1and1 dedicated linux box. I had terrible problems with them when using a shared hosting package, but the dedicated box could not be better.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Rockin' the Boat

skipper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSector
The one thing I do wonder about is the server restoration as if it was a CPanel server, they could have restored single accounts with backups.

no cpanel.... it's their own custom administration logon..... but no cpanel, god do I miss that..... I had a hard time figuring out how to enable hotlink protection, hd to put a .htaccess file in the root folder with aceptable sites....
Old 02-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
fumbalah will become famous soon enough
I've never directly hosted with 1 and 1, but Most people I've worked with have said they should pay you to host there. I may eventually check it out, but for now, it's good to hear they got something right
Old 02-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Forum Junkie

tekkitan is on a distinguished road
i had free hosting with them, i hated how their stuff was setup. their directory structures were too confusing for me to understand (i'm a unix administrator). whenever someone tells me they have 1and1.com hosting, i tell them to either find a new hosting plan, or host with me. lol
Old 02-27-2005, 12:33 PM
TAZ Rookie

wbutchart is on a distinguished road
When looking around at webhosts i emailed them to ask a question - got a reply one week later!. In that time i had phoned them and had someone on the other end who didnt understand what i was saying in every way possible. I wasnt impressed and dont recomend them.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Moncal is on a distinguished road
I've used them on two seperate occasions. Both times I canceled. I hate their control panel with a passion. I'm on dialup and it takes ages to load. But their software package is really usefull.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:23 AM
TAZ Regular

12noon is on a distinguished road
Just remember if you use 1&1 that you need to send a letter to stop paying or you might end up like me. I'm paying and i haven't used to service for 3 months.

I signed up for 3 months... Didn't like it and my site didn't work on the root server i signed up for. I moved back to my old host and thought i had lost my 300-ish that i spent. They have now billed me for another month and will keep billing me each month until i send them a printed letter....

BTW i don't have a printer... My old printer was put in the bin ages ago.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 AM
TAZ Rookie

amarillo is on a distinguished road
Avoid this company.

1and1 have very bad practice. Their service is good, reliable, and it works most of all, but their business practice is disgusting.

There are two main points that outline the problems that 1and1 create.

Firstly, hidden away in the ts&cs is a clause whereby your domain names will be renewed without forewarning or authorisation to charge your account.

Secondly let's say you have paid for hosting in full and in advance. Should you have a completely seperate domain renewed, or some other charge applied, and suffer an unexpected outlay, 1and1 will suspend a service that you have already paid for in full. Ther terms carry a condition that they will take unpaid debts to a debt collection agency, so they will inevitably get back their money.
They have no reason to fail to provide a service for which you have paid.

They will cut off an account without bothering to contact you first.

The Office Of Fair Trading told me that their business practice on this count is illegal.

It is not, at this present time, in their terms and conditions that they may do this.

If it was in their ts&cs it would be considered "Unfair Terms And Conditions".

A final point, worth noting, is that it's easy to buy products from them, but to terminate an agreement, or cancel anything you first have to search their FAQ, type in a URL which is printed as an image file so you can't just click on it to visit a completely different part of their website where you have to fill out a form electronically AND fax it to them within 7 days.

Avoid this company.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:56 AM
TAZ Rookie

Casparian is on a distinguished road
I recently signed up for a Root server through 1and1.co.uk and i'm really pleased with it. It came with Plesk 7 Reloaded control panel which is beatiful, a lot easier to use than cPanel which we had with our old hosts. I've not needed much support but they've answerd the emails I sent quickly. It did take 2 weeks to set up whcih was annoying but apparently they were waiting for new hardware to arrive.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:42 AM
TAZ Rookie

hate 1and1 is on a distinguished road
BILLING/COLLECTING HELL!!!

following is thread with their billing department...

I'll try to call tomorrow... Please know that I have no problem paying the bill. I just have serious questions about your "billing/sending to collections" practice

Can you tell me exactly how "overdue" I was in order for me to get "sent to collections" for a $12 bill? Your PDF "bill" does not give a "due date" - just an invoice date of 3/26/05 and a billing period starting 3/25/2005- -today is 5/5/2005

Also, this is billing for the year in advance.. so, I was "sent to collections" for services not yet fully rendered... what if I was ending my service with 1and1 this month?

billing@1and1.com wrote:
Dear ?, (Cust: ?)

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately since your account has an overdue balance it has been forwarded to collections. To resolve this matter please call 1-800-627-2539 and the administrator will transfer the call to the assigned collector. The collector will then be able to take the payment right over the phone, or make payment arrangements.

We apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.

Sincerely

Billing Department
1&1 Internet Inc.

You can also contact us via phone at (877) 300-8316
from 9am till 5pm EST Monday to Friday

> I have updated my credit card info - please try billing again.
>
> Do you generally send to a collection agency before calling or sending a bill? It was quite distressing to see a collection agency (Alexander & Hamilton, Inc)contact me before getting a call or physical bill from you. I'm a few months behind in email and thought (would expect)your company could "try a little harder" to contact your customers BEFORE sending to a collection agency!
>
> After successful billing, please clear this with Alexander & Hamilton, Inc, as my credit may be damaged because of this.
>
> Concerned,
>
> ?
>
> "1&1 Internet Inc." wrote:
> Dear ?
>
> We regret to inform you that your account still shows an outstanding balance.
> Please update your credit card details in the 1&1 Control Panel.
>
> Go to https://admin.1and1.com, and log in to the Control Panel with your
> customer ID or a domain name assigned to one of your packages and your
> password. On the My Account page, please click on 'User Settings' >
> 'Credit Card Details'. After updating your credit card information,
> click on 'Save'.
>
> Please send a reply to this e-mail confirming that you have updated the
> information. We will then charge the remaining balance to your credit card.
>
> If your credit card details are not provided, please be aware that your
> account will be frozen.
>
> For further details, please find attached a payment reminder in pdf
> electronic format. It can be opened and printed with the help of the program
> Acrobat Reader (download Acrobat reader:
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).
>
> If you have any billing-related questions, our billing department
> can be reached at 1-877-300-8316 Monday through Friday (except holidays)
> 9am to 5pm EST. We will be happy to help you clear up any questions you may
> have, as quickly as possible.
>
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Your 1&1 Team
> www.1and1.com
>
>
>
Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate 1and1
BILLING/COLLECTING HELL!!!

following is thread with their billing department...

I'll try to call tomorrow... Please know that I have no problem paying the bill. I just have serious questions about your "billing/sending to collections" practice

Can you tell me exactly how "overdue" I was in order for me to get "sent to collections" for a $12 bill? Your PDF "bill" does not give a "due date" - just an invoice date of 3/26/05 and a billing period starting 3/25/2005- -today is 5/5/2005

Also, this is billing for the year in advance.. so, I was "sent to collections" for services not yet fully rendered... what if I was ending my service with 1and1 this month?

billing@1and1.com wrote:
Dear ?, (Cust: ?)

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately since your account has an overdue balance it has been forwarded to collections. To resolve this matter please call 1-800-627-2539 and the administrator will transfer the call to the assigned collector. The collector will then be able to take the payment right over the phone, or make payment arrangements.

We apologize for any inconvenience that we may have caused you.

Sincerely

Billing Department
1&1 Internet Inc.

You can also contact us via phone at (877) 300-8316
from 9am till 5pm EST Monday to Friday

> I have updated my credit card info - please try billing again.
>
> Do you generally send to a collection agency before calling or sending a bill? It was quite distressing to see a collection agency (Alexander & Hamilton, Inc)contact me before getting a call or physical bill from you. I'm a few months behind in email and thought (would expect)your company could "try a little harder" to contact your customers BEFORE sending to a collection agency!
>
> After successful billing, please clear this with Alexander & Hamilton, Inc, as my credit may be damaged because of this.
>
> Concerned,
>
> ?
>
> "1&1 Internet Inc." wrote:
> Dear ?
>
> We regret to inform you that your account still shows an outstanding balance.
> Please update your credit card details in the 1&1 Control Panel.
>
> Go to https://admin.1and1.com, and log in to the Control Panel with your
> customer ID or a domain name assigned to one of your packages and your
> password. On the My Account page, please click on 'User Settings' >
> 'Credit Card Details'. After updating your credit card information,
> click on 'Save'.
>
> Please send a reply to this e-mail confirming that you have updated the
> information. We will then charge the remaining balance to your credit card.
>
> If your credit card details are not provided, please be aware that your
> account will be frozen.
>
> For further details, please find attached a payment reminder in pdf
> electronic format. It can be opened and printed with the help of the program
> Acrobat Reader (download Acrobat reader:
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).
>
> If you have any billing-related questions, our billing department
> can be reached at 1-877-300-8316 Monday through Friday (except holidays)
> 9am to 5pm EST. We will be happy to help you clear up any questions you may
> have, as quickly as possible.
>
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Your 1&1 Team
> www.1and1.com
>
>
>
Pay the bill, and go with ASO.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Marine

WebsiteMaven is on a distinguished road
I guess this post just goes to show that there are happy customers with even controversial web hosting companies.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:56 PM
SportsThunder.com

jeter4982 is on a distinguished road
I host with 1and1, and I would have to say that I am somewhat satisfied, but definitely not impressed. At first, the Control Panel was alright, as I had never seen cPanel, but then I purchased hosting somewhere else for another site, which had cPanel, and it is a lot faster, and a lot better designed. The one positive that I can say with 1and1 is they have very, very, very little downtime. I have hosted with them for 6+ months, and the site has only gone down about 6 times, for no more than 15 minutes total. I think this is excellent for any host. However, I still wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Tom
Old 05-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Coder/Designer

southernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of light
I tried 1&1 and was very UNimpressed as well. I left before a month was over and stumbled purely by accident on my current hosting company where I could not be happier. But 1&1 was a ripoff for me. Liz

Old 05-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Tazmanian

I can't believe that nobody else signed up for the free software.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Coder/Designer

southernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of light
It's only free as long as you stay with them. Liz

Old 05-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady
It's only free as long as you stay with them. Liz
It's not really like they can make you uninstall the software they send you. And some software (frontpage 2003 for example) is governed by other licenses that they have no control of after they have given it to you.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Coder/Designer

Actually the letter they sent us stated that we had to return any software we had installed that we had gotten free from them. And that we could not use it even tho we had the license. Liz

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Servers and Hosting