Increasing Traffic Promotional Techniques To Fill Up Those Member Lists.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM
TAZ Rookie

kokiri_link is on a distinguished road
Default 1 Year On...and its not very active! Help!
My site (Xboxinsider) is quite popular, we get featured on some pretty big gaming sites (Joystiq, Destructiod, Kotaku etc) and have also been featured in Official Xbox Magazine UK. Were trying to build the forum into something respectable, but after just over a year...were looking pretty dead. We have our dedicated members, but even they arent posting much. Heres what I do to try and bring in traffic to the forum.

-Twitter- As of yesterday, every new thread autamatically gets a link placed on twitter...seen 2 new members since this...hoping for more, we just need people to actually make threads!

-Competitions- My site hold regular competitions to win Xbox Live Arcade games, and only memebers who are registered to the forums can enter. The competiotns are announced on twitter, so we get a few memebers from this again.

I geuss, what I'm really looking for is for people to post more! Any help appreciated!

Last edited by kokiri_link; 02-21-2010 at 04:09 PM..
Old 02-21-2010, 03:08 PM
shiny happy pantless

Admin Experience: Intermediate
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokiri_link View Post

I geuss, what I'm really looking for is for people to post more! Any help appreciated!
Congratulations with the success of your forum.

Welcome to Taz, Matthew!

gogo

p.s. I have a gaming forum as well. We only have one game, Sacred 2..it's a very small release game and from europe. We make a lot of friends with the players though. We have a clan, we're always posting about the game what we're playing where peeps can find us. We sticky threads that are made to show activity, we have avatar and sig makers for our community... lots of little things like this keep us going... but playing games is the most fun

Do you play any of the games that your community covers? You can do interviews with the game devs...tha'ts a big part of increasing the reference value of your forum. We collected about 120 guides for Sacred and had them all formatted nicely.

www.darkmatters.org
DarkMatters: Index of Links to 100 Sacred Guides, Builds and In-Game Videos.

This hugely increase the goto value of darkmatters for finding the best guides for the game that is our expertise.

Last edited by gogoblender; 02-21-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Old 02-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Francisco

Admin Experience: Advanced
Francisck is a jewel in the rough
are you regularly creating interesting topics for people to post on? that is usually the easiest way to generate some activity.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoblender View Post
Congratulations with the success of your forum.

Welcome to Taz, Matthew!

gogo

p.s. I have a gaming forum as well. We only have one game, Sacred 2..it's a very small release game and from europe. We make a lot of friends with the players though. We have a clan, we're always posting about the game what we're playing where peeps can find us. We sticky threads that are made to show activity, we have avatar and sig makers for our community... lots of little things like this keep us going... but playing games is the most fun

Do you play any of the games that your community covers? You can do interviews with the game devs...tha'ts a big part of increasing the reference value of your forum. We collected about 120 guides for Sacred and had them all formatted nicely.

www.darkmatters.org
DarkMatters: Index of Links to 100 Sacred Guides, Builds and In-Game Videos.

This hugely increase the goto value of darkmatters for finding the best guides for the game that is our expertise.
Cheers Yeah, I mean, we all play Xbox 360...so I geuss that isnt the problem. We often have interviews, and hands on previews with games also, and these do bring traffic to the main portion of the site, but nobody seems intrested in our little forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisckr

are you regularly creating interesting topics for people to post on? that is usually the easiest way to generate some activity.
We are (I think) The main news from the site, gets put into the forum aswell, but again...not much activity.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:24 PM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand
you just said that the interviews and reviews are bringing attention to the main part of your forum...then in that same sentence you say "noone is interested in our little forum"

Are you saying the people that are doing interviews and reviews have stopped and now because you don't have the content, peeps are finding it somewhere else?

gogo

Last edited by gogoblender; 02-21-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoblender View Post
I don't understand
you just said that the interviews and reviews are bringing attention to the main part of your forum...then in that same sentence you say "noone is interested in our little forum"

Are you saying the people that are doing interviews and reviews have stopped and now because you don't have the content, peeps are finding it somewhere else?

gogo
No, No. We have 2 parts to our site. The "main"page is based off of wordpress, and is a news/reviews blog. The forum is seperate...do you understand?

Main page: http://www.xboxinsider.net
Forum: http://www.xboxinsider.net/forum/

When we get alot of views on the main page (views that come from reviews/interviews etc) we get a slight increase in forum viewers....it's just getting them to stay around thats the problem!
Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM
shiny happy pantless

Ah, I see!
It's almost exactly like the set up on our site.

We have the wiki..akin to your content publication... and then we have our forum... the talk part.

Our Wiki though is really busy. It has peeps constantly adding to it every day... this is happening also cuz our forum is kept busy... so the synergy is awesome. Are you guys adding tons content to your blog site every day? You said that you noticed an increase in forum activity when you put in quality content. Are you honestly convinced the quality and quantity of content going up into your blog is just as good as before?

For talk part, me and Schot the two owners play Sacred 2 a few hours a day though with our clan.

Have you considered setting up a clan? This way you will have to, by default, use your forum as a message board.

Instant win.

gogo
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Tazmanian

Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
People would stay longer for more indept discussion about the games. Try adding some walkthrough, secrets, guides or something of this sort might help.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
paypal+

Admin Experience: Advanced
Noles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to allNoles is a name known to all
The forum layout is a little rough around the edges.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:00 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noles View Post
The forum layout is a little rough around the edges.
How so? I wanted to keep it as close to the default theme as I could, seeing as this is my first forum, therefor enabling easy modifications etc. Any feedback would be great!

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Increasing Traffic