Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Jakeomatic is a jewel in the rough
I decided to start a forum simply because I didn't like how other forums operated and I wanted to make it the way I liked it, and I also want my forums to be more personal for my members.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Tazmanian

Creaky is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobby View Post
Well nows the time to do something about it. Get the forum name put aeround and start allowing it to build itself.
Wanted to get some content on there first, even if it is cut & paste at the moment.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech'n Tha Freak

Admin Experience: Guru
sapper6fd is just really nicesapper6fd is just really nice
Why did I start a forum? When I first started building forums, it was becuase I wanted to learn more about programming. Did it help? Absoutly - but not in the areas I was hoping it would. I learnt more about SEO, building content, monetizing the forums and running a forum than I did in programming (although hacking away at vBulletin Templates gave me a lot of knowledge in PHP structure).

This post was originaly much MUCH longer but I have since cut it down and I think I'll be submitting it as an artical to TAZ instead... As it turns out, its much more than just an answer to WHY I started a forum.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 AM
TAZ Regular

Nymera is on a distinguished road
I started the forum i'm working on because i have a huge passion for writing novels and chatting with people.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:09 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Beginner
Recaner is on a distinguished road
One of the main reasons I started my forum was because another one I use to frequent was closing down. I hoped that most of the members I was buddies with on that forum would come over to mine, so that we can restart. Only a few showed up, but we have since built a new community.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
TAZ Rookie

irtiza104 is on a distinguished road
1. I was inspired by one of my friends who is somewhat successful in the "internet". I thought, if he can, why can't i?

2. Lack of good Bangladeshi websites also inspired me to chose my niche.

3. Have been blogging for about 1.5 years and want a more committed net activity...

Old 05-06-2010, 04:26 AM
TAZ Rookie

theicon is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to create a social networking site to help give back to my community. (the graffiti artist community)
Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 PM
TAZ Rookie

vexx is on a distinguished road
My reason is that I always have been a forum poster and I love forums..so, why not a forum of my own, I enjoy the challenge :P
Old 05-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Passionate admin

Admin Experience: Advanced
dojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to all
Always thought I'm better at admining

Well, kidding aside, I got the idea when posting in martial arts forums. My first project was a Romanian MA forum and then I just got crazy and created more. It's a wonderful feeling to place that 'hello' thread and prepare all the categories and those first topics.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
daedong is on a distinguished road
I started my forum because I was banned from one that I was member of for about 5 years I guess, incidentally I was one of the first members to that forum. My interest in this forum actually enticed me to visit the USA and meet up in person with many of the members and admin. It was a trip of a life time and I meet some interesting folks. Unfortunately the forum became dominated by Mods, nearly more Mods than active members, and there was personality clashes I guess with some of the mods. I got sick of them and they got sick of me respect waned, they had the upper hand and they pissed me off for ever. to bad. So now I am having a bash at a forum myself.

Last edited by daedong; 05-12-2010 at 03:54 AM..
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Tazmanian

thebofh is just really nicethebofh is just really nice
A forum I used to use was run by a couple of teens & they let the hosting package and domain expire and it never got renewed, the other forums in my area were badly run and the whole mountain bike scene was in a bit of disarray so I started my own. I've now gotten to the point where the official organisations are resurrecting again and they're grumbling because riders in my state are now using my forum as their main source of information about club events
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Coder/Designer

southernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of light
I started my first forum as a result of losing access to the best mom's online forum there was when it was bought out and merged with another company about 8 years or so ago now. Our group tried the new setup but didn't care for it so I stepped forward and put together a forum. That was 5 years ago and she was sold earlier this month.

I've started others since, one I'm still running.

Liz

Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
TAZ Rookie

TKPRooFan will become famous soon enough
I was a regular poster at a forum with a similar niche yet was frustrated by the amount of downtime it suffered during key periods. I had thought about starting my own forum but wasn't technical at all however another member from that site had similar thoughts and thankfully is technically savvy. Together we think we can create a great forum with a few unique points for our niche to make it stand out. It isn't live yet but hopefully will soon be.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:20 AM
TAZ Rookie

nick71692 is on a distinguished road
although it sounds corny I had a dream about the name www.askmy2cents.com and thought that it sounded like a general topic forum to me. It was really all about the name
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 AM
This is the title~

crushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to allcrushbunny is a name known to all
I started my forum because i was addicted to a forum before and suddenly one day I thought about starting a forum of my own. (now I'm so happy about my decision)
That's pretty much it!

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started