Increasing Traffic Promotional Techniques To Fill Up Those Member Lists.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
SullenSky is on a distinguished road
Default Description, keywords and some unknown titles
I have been searching for such information on Google but didn't find any help.
I want to add description and keywords and everything else that's required for good SEO'ing of my forum. Here is the whole meta thing from the index template:

Code:
  // Show right to left and the character set for ease of translating.
   echo '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"', $context['right_to_left'] ? ' dir="rtl"' : '', '><head>
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=', $context['character_set'], '" />
   <meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title'], '" />', empty($context['robot_no_index']) ? '' : '
   <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />', '
   <meta name="keywords" content="software, help, forums, computer, programs" />
I edited the keywords, but I can't understand what those $context['page_title'] and other strange titles mean. Is it safe to delete them and simply enter the description of my forum?

Could someone edit this code just to give me an example of what lines I should/can edit to optimize my forum? I just need an example to know what I can do with it.

P.S. My forum is SMF.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM
La Belle Époque

Admin Experience: Guru
EthanJ is just really niceEthanJ is just really nice
First of all, keywords and meta descriptions make no difference to your ranking. Keywords especially are a remnant of old crawling and indexing techniques that are no longer used, so I wouldn't worry about them too much. The meta description is the portion of text that appears underneath the main link within the search results page and there is some anecdotal evidence a relevant description can lead to better click through.

In terms of the code you have pasted in, what you have to remember is that the header you added here is grabbed and rendered for every page on your forum: be it the index, a topic, a forum or anything else. The reason '$context['page_title']' is in there is so that wherever the header is rendered a dynamic and relevant page description can be added (and not just one site wide static description). In this case, it ads the page title.

I would leave this as is if I were you. As rendering a static descrption for all your pages is going to make things looks a little bland when people see your pages on results pages, as opposed to the way it currently is, where they get a slightly more relevant description, which may result in a greater likelihood of a click.

ContraFlo | Final production build available Q2.
A high load capable AJAX based media streaming CMS; out of the box CDN integration and hardware load balancing; tiered license pricing; whitelabel hosting available.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Tazmanian

Thanks for your extensive reply! So I became confused now: if this code is good, then how do I seo my forum? I don't get it.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:50 PM
La Belle Époque

Admin Experience: Guru
EthanJ is just really niceEthanJ is just really nice
SEO isn't really a one off task that you can take care of, tick the box next to it and move on to other things, it's a continuous process you go through. There are of course technical tasks you perform to optimise your site, but they are small in comparison to the larger, less technical aspects of SEO (like generating consistant great quality, keyword heavy/optimised content).

Here is a guide about on page SEO by the guys at SEOmoz, if I were you I would read it through and try to optimse your site around what they describe, it will help a lot:

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/perfectin...e-optimization

It describes all kinds of things you can do (or improve on what you do already). If you have any more specific questions though, I (or some else) will be happy to help with them

ContraFlo | Final production build available Q2.
A high load capable AJAX based media streaming CMS; out of the box CDN integration and hardware load balancing; tiered license pricing; whitelabel hosting available.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Tazmanian

bluesky is a jewel in the rough
The only important meta tag nowadays which would affect the rankings of websites is the Title tags. Descriptions even might not be important because Google will pick any parts from your contents as it wishes and the keywords are long gone with the wind since nowadays the links anchors would tell what subjects the websites are about.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Tazmanian

Thanks for your answers!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
TAZ Rookie

subrat10 is on a distinguished road
You've added <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />.
That means search engines will never index your forum on their searches.You should make it index instead of noindex so that search crawlers will crawl your site.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Increasing Traffic