Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Default Your thread ideas that get your users to talk?
I know this topic has been brought up before - but I believe its been a long time and TAZ has a lot of new forum owners now, so let's talk thread ideas.

I'll post mine:
What are your listening to?
What's your favorite food?
What's your favorite game?
What do you do for fun?
What do you do online?
How old are you?
Etc..

Let's come up with a nice list so that new forum owners can seed their new forums with content that'll spark more activity.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:46 AM
La Belle Époque

EthanJ is just really niceEthanJ is just really nice
One of the easiest ways is post something you know most of them are going to disagree with, there's nothing like the possibility of an angry rant to get people posting

ContraFlo | Final production build available Q2.
A high load capable AJAX based media streaming CMS; out of the box CDN integration and hardware load balancing; tiered license pricing; whitelabel hosting available.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Tazmanian

cpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to allcpvr is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Jones View Post
One of the easiest ways is post something you know most of them are going to disagree with, there's nothing like the possibility of an angry rant to get people posting
Well drama doesn't always work - don't you think so?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
The Ancient Dragon

Admin Experience: Advanced
Alex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant future
Baby names, I kid you not.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Tazmanian

Abbott has a spectacular aura about
1) What does your screen name mean?
(This one I've actually tried, I got pages of replies)

2) What's your favorite alcoholic beverage?

This usually works, since most people drink at least sometimes.

3) Post Your System Specs Here.

This can work if the forum is technical or computer related in nature. I made this very thread right here on TAZ.

4) Ask the Next Person A Question Game.

It works by having the OP post a question. The next person who replies answers the question, and then asks a question of their own. The next poster replies to that question, and then posts a question of their own. And so on.

5) Word Games of various sorts.

One word game is an association game. Like, the OP posts a word. Then, the next person who replies posts what word they think of, when they see that word. And so on. Example:

OP: Dogs
Reply 1: Pets
Reply 2: Cats
Reply 3: Scratching
Reply 4: Vinyl Records

And so on.

Another has to do with the letters in the words. That is, post a word where the first letter is the same as the last letter of the previous word. Example:

OP: Dogs
Reply 1: Sun
Reply 2: Nice
Reply 3: Egotistical
Reply 4: Lies
Reply 5: Schema

And so on.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Intermediate
heyitsElyse is on a distinguished road
A few that have worked on my forum:

What Really Pisses You Off?
What's On Your Mind? (Similar to making a facebook status update, but in posts)
What's Your Irrational Fear/Hate?
Story Time (When someone begins with the first paragraph to a story, then the next person posts another paragraph)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 AM
TAZ Rookie

Electro is on a distinguished road
What did you have for breakfast?
- Yes people do answer and it's quite funny sometimes.

What's the latest movie you watched?
- nice when people actually recommed some and others go watch and give feedback

What's you favorite TV show these days?
-Compared to what was on a couple of years ago... gets people on memory lane which can be nice

The last post wins
- the never ending game that goes on and on

What turned you on today?
- can be dodgy and not for all forums for sure lol
Old 08-04-2009, 04:44 AM
TAZ Rookie

Impulse is on a distinguished road
How's the weather where you're at?
- always gets a lot of replies and keeps people coming back just to make small updates
Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Tazmanian

tracymw is a glorious beacon of lighttracymw is a glorious beacon of lighttracymw is a glorious beacon of light
Stop in and say hello

Word Association

Current event debates always do well

Last text message

What made you smile

Last thing that made you LOL
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
TAZ Rookie

MrT has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Jones View Post
Yep I certainly agree there.
A good bun fight gets the post rate shooting up, but does put off new posters, and you have to learn how to stop it before it goes to far and people storm out for good.

Good ones for getting heat going is anything on religion, politics or homosexuality. Any two out of three are a sure winner. Homosexuality and the bible can get boisterous especially on an American site.
Are all christians going to hell because they worship Jesus instead of God, or why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like he was.

Ask about opening a virtual villages/pubs etc or a gay section, is bound to get people going as people tend to be either on one side or another.

Asking how they see the site going is another, or debating a name change, such as from debate to serious discussion, that can go on for months.

All strategies where you are using conflict is high risk to boost posting and generate passion and interest is high risk, and you will see the bad side of people, but it sure does boost the posting stats.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Poor Helpdesk Bloke

Computer_Head is a jewel in the rough
Usually we get activity with the three word game, random chit chat, and word association game.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 AM
TAZ Rookie

MrT has a spectacular aura about
What really annoys you is a good one for a rant and people will tend to agree, disagree and add to the thread.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Severe Weather Spotter

Shawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
How's the weather where you're at?
- always gets a lot of replies and keeps people coming back just to make small updates
The best!

My Forums
Blogging Friends - A forum for bloggers specifically.
National Skywarn - Skywarn Storm Spotters Forum.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Poor Helpdesk Bloke

Computer_Head is a jewel in the rough
We also have a Gas Price thread at our site where we give updates on the price of gas in our areas.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
TAZ Rookie

kms1167 is on a distinguished road
this is some really good stuff. my off-topic forum needs help, lol.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 AM
TAZ Regular

zildjian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
Yep I certainly agree there.
A good bun fight gets the post rate shooting up, but does put off new posters, and you have to learn how to stop it before it goes to far and people storm out for good.

Good ones for getting heat going is anything on religion, politics or homosexuality. Any two out of three are a sure winner. Homosexuality and the bible can get boisterous especially on an American site.
Are all christians going to hell because they worship Jesus instead of God, or why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like he was.

Ask about opening a virtual villages/pubs etc or a gay section, is bound to get people going as people tend to be either on one side or another.

Asking how they see the site going is another, or debating a name change, such as from debate to serious discussion, that can go on for months.

All strategies where you are using conflict is high risk to boost posting and generate passion and interest is high risk, and you will see the bad side of people, but it sure does boost the posting stats.
I disagree with this very much. Not really the 'conflict' to boost posts, but bringing up realigon or sexuality. These are serious things in people's lives, they dont need to be brought up on a forum which they go on for fun. You will alienate people doing that, and just loose more posters, and bring out the worst in what would first appear to be normal posters.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 AM
TAZ Rookie

Estima has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer_Head View Post
We also have a Gas Price thread at our site where we give updates on the price of gas in our areas.
Another good one is "What gets your goat?" - Like Americans who expect everyone else to understand that when they say "gas" they aren't talking about the stuff that comes to the house in a pipe.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM
TAZ Rookie

Estima has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
That simply encourages people to whinge about the site and that's the last thing you want.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
The Ancient Dragon

Alex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant future
I made this thread on a forum I'm a member on, it's titled "Today's Music," and it's been really popular so far. I started the thread off with explaining how today's music is so much different to what was broadcast only 9 years ago, less 20 years ago. Surprisingly, the younger members of the forum who are at least 14/15 even agreed that today's music sucks.

A lot of them are into bands from the 60s-late 90s. So there's another thread idea you could try out. It's a fun idea and you get to learn about new artists.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Fanatic

NYCGuy76 is a jewel in the rough
Those are some good tips. A good one which worked on my forum is famous people that annoy you. Try that.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff