Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff

Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:50 PM
TAZ Regular

Worthen is on a distinguished road
Default Allowing Guest To Post - Why or why not? - For which industries?
I see some growing forums allowing guest to post without registering ...

what are your thoughts as to the problems this may cause ...

why not allow guest to post without registering?

Perhaps there are some industries / topics better suited to registration only ...

Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 PM
DMBFan.com

Admin Experience: Advanced
DMBGuru is on a distinguished road
By the advice of some of the other members of this forum, I just allowed guests to post on one of the forums on my board. I suggest doing it only in the Off Topic area, that's kind of an open area anyway. The good thing is, it lets them get a feel for the board, then if they like it, they can register.

Anyway, just an idea.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:42 AM
Tazmanian

Purple is on a distinguished road
I generally have a 'Test' forum, where people can post whatever, to test the features of the community. Those posts are auto-pruned after 48 hours. We also have a 'Help Desk' type of forum, where users can ask questions related to the operation of the community. Then we have a 'Guest' forum, where guests can post and reply, but members can only reply - no special features allowed in this forum.

In all of these, guests can post - the rest require registration only to maintain the board's integrity.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Tazmanian

theMusicMan is on a distinguished road
I have only one area where guests/non registered are allowed to post - and that is usually only for bereavement threads. Many people know many others in my community who are not registered, and we have created this specific forum for those who choose not to register but who wish to pay their respects to friends and families who have moved on.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:38 PM
TAZ Regular

many thanks for all the comments and advice ...

I take it by ... "maintain the board's integrity" ... you mean that guest tend to have a higher concentration of malicious post... such as disregard for post content rules ... perhaps posting links that contain attachments that spawn adware or viruses ... or am I missing something ... possibly greater security concerns?

In some instances the threads guest start are real, valid questions and often become thought provoking threads.

Maybe I need to take a closer look at why some users prefer to not register ... maybe that's the ticket?

Thanks again
Old 10-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Tazmanian

Believe it or not, it isn't the guests who tend to cause problems - it is members who use the opportunity to be someone else.

It also keeps away the problems caused when members lose their cookies or simply forget to logon, post something, then ask for you to attach the post to their name/account. That alone is more trouble than it is worth, in my book.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:20 PM
TAZ Regular

Thanks Purple,

You have been very helpful ... that last post of yours clinched the nail on the back of the board.

Thanks again
Old 10-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Tazmanian

You're very welcome. Just because people are a 'member' or have been posting for a long time or are part of a particular group, doesn't make them trustworthy. I've noticed, on far too many forums I've visited, when they allow guest posting, you will always find a member or two with a 'guest' fanclub.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:40 AM

Loony BoB is on a distinguished road
While guests might be 'nicer' in general (or not), if you're security-conscious, it's much easier to track a member than it is to track a guest. At least with a member, you can know all IP's used by one person, yet with guests, they can use multiple IP's and you'll never know it was one and the same. I know that members still can get past this if they're smart enough and have the time, but it still covers you for some possible problems. However, that end is up to you.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
GottaBeKD is on a distinguished road
I just don't like the idea of Guests being able to post. However, I know "registration" can be a little intimidating to some. That's why I will most likely install a hack that shortens the registration form. By default, phpBB has, by my count, 28 inputs (including text fields, drop downs, radio selections). Shortening the form to just name, password, email might help overcome this "registration" fear. Then, once they are used to the forum, can fill in the extraneous details.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff