Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Hangman is just really niceHangman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by might_be_giants View Post
I'll keep it zipped from now on.
Thanks awfully
Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
TAZ Regular

might_be_giants is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep. I've been bullied off. Well done all. Bye.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
PapillionPurple is a jewel in the rough

@ Annakey. If it's okay to ask a couple of questions? Firstly, do you get much feedback from those who have adopted your charter on how it is working for them and ways in which they have built upon the charter as a foundation? Also, is the charter in continuous development and do you keep charter users aware of changes?

I don't think I would personally adopt it for my forum, but I find it an interesting concept.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Charter? What Charter?

Admin Experience: Intermediate
annakey is just really niceannakey is just really nice
It's a mistake imo to try and drag TAZ into a conflict between TurboIsland and another bulletin board. A glance at sena's profile reveals the agenda.

If sena and might_be_giants want to try (to drag TAZ into a conflict between TurboIsland and another bulletin board) that's their prerogative. I'm not going to join them. Why should TAZ mods have to referee such conflicts, as they have on this thread? Why should the TAZ bank account fund the bandwidth?

Some forum bureaucrats find the Charter threatening, become over-excited, obsess about it, and chase it round the internet. Which, of course, is flattering. It publicises the Charter, and is a sign of it doing it's job. But I don't see why a third party site should manage and fund the resultant broohaha. It's not fair on TAZ.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by might_be_giants View Post
Yep. I've been bullied off. Well done all. Bye.
There are other forums on TAZ, you know - there are thousands of threads to take part in.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:38 PM
TAZ Regular

sena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by annakey View Post
It's a mistake imo to try and drag TAZ into a conflict between TurboIsland and another bulletin board. A glance at sena's profile reveals the agenda.

If sena and might_be_giants want to try (to drag TAZ into a conflict between TurboIsland and another bulletin board) that's their prerogative. I'm not going to join them. Why should TAZ mods have to referee such conflicts, as they have on this thread? Why should the TAZ bank account fund the bandwidth?

Some forum bureaucrats find the Charter threatening, become over-excited, obsess about it, and chase it round the internet. Which, of course, is flattering. It publicises the Charter, and is a sign of it doing it's job. But I don't see why a third party site should manage and fund the resultant broohaha. It's not fair on TAZ.

what's all this talk of conflict, it's purely a simple question related to your ludicrious claims about your charter, a question is not automatically invalid due to the person who is asking it (at least not in this case)

but fine, have it as you will, i won't embarass you any more in front of your fellow admin bosses, i'll let you get back to doing what you do best

Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
RHawes is just really niceRHawes is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sena View Post
i'll let you get back to doing what you do best
You mean taking the piss out of nutjob forum admins? He's great at that
Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Charter? What Charter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerinexile View Post

@ Annakey. If it's okay to ask a couple of questions? Firstly, do you get much feedback from those who have adopted your charter on how it is working for them and ways in which they have built upon the charter as a foundation?
Yes. For example, RHawes wrote this the other day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHawes View Post
Hopefully, discussing the Cyber-Abuse Policy annakey posted on the previous page will be acceptable. It's about the only thing over the last couple of pages that I've bothered to read.

Personally, I would applaud a policy like that and will be talking to my co-admin about implementing something similar at The Hub. We do have rules against cyber-abuse, but not in such a coherent manner...

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...t=42326&page=3
Here's the Charter anti cyber-abuse policy:

RHawes hasn't adopted the Charter, or any bits of it, as far as I know. He's running an independent forum and constructs his own policies. But he's clearly been influenced by it. At some point I may ask him how his chat with his co-admin went. He runs a tight ship so I suspect his current arrangements are fine.

Swanky wrote this on the same thread. Again, he's obviously none too keen on cyber-abusers. I don't know whether he was "influenced" by the Charter. But he certainly seemed sympathetic to the policy. If he made use of it on his forum, thatís great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
Annakey, I've got to say you've got guts to make such rules. I actually admire you for your bravery, very few Admins would admit wrong doing and what not. Keep up the good work man. I like your methods.

Cyber abuse, is one of the most hated and disgusted course of events out there on the web. I dislike it, and don't condone it. How someone has enjoyment in making one's life miserable is far beyond what I could imagine.

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/s...t=42326&page=3

Quote:
Also, is the charter in continuous development
Yes. It was amended recently to include a political bannings policy:

Anyone can propose a Charter amendment. It's debated, the wording sorted out, consulted on for a couple of weeks, agreed and inserted. The process works well. It's very easy to amend. It's just common-sense stuff really. Nothing radical or ultra-left wing! But - as this thread shows - it has the capacity to really wind up some admins. I'd argue that's a good thing: those admins who get the most excited need the Charter the most.

Quote:
and do you keep charter users aware of changes?
Yes. A newsletter goes out to all members, listing recent developments. There's a dedicated Charter forum. Anyone can pop along and have their say, drawing on their experience in other forums and, indeed, in real life. The whole thing's underpinned by a free-speech rule so everyone can have their say.

Quote:
I don't think I would personally adopt it for my forum, but I find it an interesting concept.
You'd be most welcome, should you change your mind.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Tazmanian

RHawes is just really niceRHawes is just really nice
Quote:
RHawes hasn't adopted the Charter, or any bits of it, as far as I know. He's running an independent forum and constructs his own policies. But he's clearly been influenced by it. At some point I may ask him how his chat with his co-admin went. He runs a tight ship so I suspect his current arrangements are fine.
I wouldn't adopt the Charter because there are parts of it that would be incompatible with the way I want to run my community, but it's a great document with some valuable policies. My co-admin and I are in the process of conducting a full site review and a formal cyber-abuse policy is one of the items on the agenda. There are other items from the TI Charter I intend to bring up and expect to integrate, in one form or another, into my community TOS.

Rob
(who is also a proud TI member)
Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
PapillionPurple is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for taking the time to respond Annakey. I've signed up for TI to have a further look
Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Charter? What Charter?

Quote:
what's all this talk of conflict, it's purely a simple question related to your ludicrious claims about your charter, a question is not automatically invalid due to the person who is asking it (at least not in this case)

but fine, have it as you will, i won't embarass you any more in front of your fellow admin bosses, i'll let you get back to doing what you do best
Where's the embarrassment? You became excited about the Turbo Island Charter. Knowing a little about your forum that's no surprise. You don't even have a set of posting rules. I'm just sorry your excitement took up TAZ resources. It's not fair on them.

You realise, of course, that because you're making up the rules as you go along on your forum, and having trouble as a consequence, you'd be ideal territory for a full Charter implementation? I'd be more than happy to assist should you wish to go down that path. Perhaps talk it over in your mod bunker?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Charter? What Charter?

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond Annakey. I've signed up for TI to have a further look
Most welcome.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Anyone can propose a Charter amendment. It's debated, the wording sorted out, consulted on for a couple of weeks, agreed and inserted.
that must be some logistical feat, if we take the 500 odd members from your site, plus say a conservative estimate of 100 members for each of the 70 sites that have adopted the charter, that makes a consultation process covering 7,500 posters, it's remarkable that changes to the charter can be debated & agreed in such a short space of time (that's assuming changes aren't forced through in the cyber equivalent of a smoke filled room where a select few agree amongst themselves and present it as a top down, fait accompli to their members)

Last edited by sena; 01-30-2008 at 05:05 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 PM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Where's the embarrassment? You became excited about the Turbo Island Charter. Knowing a little about your forum that's no surprise. You don't even have a set of posting rules. I'm just sorry your excitement took up TAZ resources. It's not fair on them.

You realise, of course, that because you're making up the rules as you go along on your forum, and having trouble as a consequence, you'd be ideal territory for a full Charter implementation? I'd be more than happy to assist should you wish to go down that path. Perhaps talk it over in your mod bunker?
if the members of the forum i help to run were interested in such a thing i'd be happy to explore the possibility, to kickstart that process however i'd expect they'd be interested in how much penetration the charter has achieved so far in other digital communities (we're a conservative bunch) and to get an idea, first hand, as to how forums have benefited and have improved since introduction of said charter - we have however, appeared to have reached gridlock on that particular issue given your uncharacteristic refusal to answer straightforward & simple questions in relation it's usage

Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Charter? What Charter?

Quote:
given your uncharacteristic refusal to answer straightforward & simple questions in relation it's usage
I'm not going to assist you, at TAZ expense and using TAZ staff resources, deal with your Turbo Island obsession. But I've started a thread for you on TI:

Clenched MATB Buttocks on TAZ

Can't say fairer than that, eh?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 PM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakey
I'd be more than happy to assist
Quote:
I'm not going to assist you....

i thought TAZ would be a more neutral territory to discuss such a thing, i've got reservations about signing up to a site so you can IP & email snoop, in addition i'm not that keen on signing up to sites that encourage posters who have mental problems to impersonate women on the internet and arrange real life 'dates' with posters from other sites who also are less than stable in the mental department, it's not a place i'd be happy to be to be honest

so, if the TAZ mods are happy to let the discussion continue in relation to your assistance (as offered by yourself) in relation to this matter, i'd be more than happy to progress it here, are you?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:

i thought TAZ would be a more neutral territory to discuss such a thing, i've got reservations about signing up to a site so you can IP & email snoop, in addition i'm not that keen on signing up to sites that encourage posters who have mental problems to impersonate women on the internet and arrange real life 'dates' with posters from other sites who also are less than stable in the mental department, it's not a place i'd be happy to be to be honest

so, if the TAZ mods are happy to let the discussion continue in relation to your assistance (as offered by yourself) in relation to this matter, i'd be more than happy to progress it here, are you?
Sure, we like discussion, we don't like harassment
Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Tazmanian

AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
So long as you guys keep it polite we have no problems with you continuing your discussion here. However, if it reverts to the arguments of earlier, I'll personally be closing this thread and beating you all with big sticks!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
TAZ Regular

good stuff, ground rules established

if you'll admit me to reiterate the starting position, i'll then await the offered assistance in relation to this matter

Quote:
if the members of the forum i help to run were interested in such a thing i'd be happy to explore the possibility, to kickstart that process however i'd expect they'd be interested in how much penetration the charter has achieved so far in other digital communities (we're a conservative bunch) and to get an idea, first hand, as to how forums have benefited and have improved since introduction of said charter
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 PM
just another haggis :)

scotslass has a spectacular aura about
just had a read of this thread and whilst i would maybe find some of annakeys charter hard to put in practice (are you male or female lol i am confused!) because it woudl clash with a few of my idealism's of my forum i think on the whole it is sound. What i dont understand is why members find it such a hardship just to join a forum to find out more. as annakey said this is admin zone...its not an extension of TI, so why the need to have it discussed on here, wether annakey has brought it up in reference to member issues or not? we all put personal experience into things, but when quizzed deeper, we may take it to pm or another forum, its no big deal? if you were really interested thats where you would go. For example, i am interested in google mail. someone brings it up on a site. I have more questions they say go to google mail. where will i go? googlemail! it makes sense to go to where things began.

annakey may at times in my own opinion be delicately provocative lol to those easily riled and those very transparent but on the whole i have found myself his words to be direct but not harsh. all these harrassments have just put out what could have been a very good thread. I would imagine annakeys intentions of directing those interested in the charter would be for that reason only.

As it is, i am looking into a few areas of the charter, as there are some parts i think i would like to adopt...the whole thing...not quite so certain! its a concept though and worth considering.

Last edited by scotslass; 01-30-2008 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: spelling. i am such a bad speller

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started