Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started

Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:46 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Beginner
RGForums is on a distinguished road
I started my forum because I had YET to find a decent beauty discussion board that wasn't owned by some corporation with an obvious bias towards THEIR product.
I wanted a board that combined everything I love-- from hair, make-up, skin-care, dieting, etc.. on one easy to navigate, clean looking, message board. Also, I wanted a place to look at pictures of hair styles and make-up ideas.
I have yet to find a beauty message board like this, so I took it upon myself this weekend to do it !

So basically: It didn't exist, so I am creating it ;-)
Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Just a simple man.

Admin Experience: Advanced
Dus1tin is on a distinguished road
I started my forum as a weather forum where people would not be judged or bashed for their weather posts. My goals were small, 50 members, 1,000 posts. Of course it got bigger than that somehow, now it has over 400 members and 51,000 posts......
Old 06-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
010081 is on a distinguished road
i have started forum because i'm a doctor and would like to get into health forum,so this helps me keep interest in my forum.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 AM
TAZ Rookie

GBTT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole510 View Post
In response to the ridiculousness that was the other forum. We saw that many members were as fed up as were and branched out.
Same with me we started our forum because the one we used was very very strict and aimed for children reading it. Although most members were in their 20's & 30's!!!!!!
Myself and my co-admin both have a passion for Gary B so off we went started our own site and haven't looked back.
Many members have said they don't feel constricted on our forum which is nice
Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Tazmanian

minstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to allminstrel is a name known to all
I used to get a lot of emails for my main website asking for advice or resources in various places in the world. I'd long thought that a psychology support forum, if properly set up and properly managed, could be a very useful resource and there were things about all of the existing ones I could find that I didn't like or didn't agree with (for example, I was briefly a moderator on one where the owner often hawked his ebooks or other products and I felt that was inappropriate and the antithesis of helpful for many of their members).

I considered starting one of my own for about 2 years before I launched it. That turned out to be a good thing for me because I had pretty clearly worked out the vision and parameters for the forum long before it "opened" and it has worked well for me since the launch in early 2004.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Tazmanian

GuessMyName is on a distinguished road
i was on the Lost forum at ABC.com for awhile but it was the worst forum ever...no features, next to no moderation, constant errors, tons of flaming, and most of the threads were off topic...so i started my own board for members of that forum who were ragged on for posting on topic by the regulars and who actually wanted to talk about lost...

but now i no longer have an interest in talking about lost...i want out! lol
Old 06-15-2007, 11:00 AM
TAZ Rookie

WBTD01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenene View Post
To get revenge on the nazi-esque forums I've been a member of in the past.

Pretty much this! :lol

We wanted a Community that was not so heavily moderated with censorship and TOS rules.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:25 AM
TAZ Regular

LeeMck is on a distinguished road
I started my Pivot Animation forum on the 26th May 2007, I had grew tiresome of the incompetence of the staff at the other forums, and decided that I could do a better job. 3 weeks on I have a steady loyal member base of 78 members and around 2.3k posts.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:08 AM
TAZ Rookie

vanpelt is on a distinguished road
I belonged to a forum that had a main topic, but I noticed that people were posting their opinions about other topics all the time too. I figured a board where people could have their say about ANYTHING they were interested in, would prove handy. We have a definate leaning towards people who are interested in the paranormal though because they followed us over from the other board. We also wanted a more community based approach - with more input from members. Basically a community which people can become fast friends but know they can have a hot debate about anything.

It limped along for a year before we changed to Vbulletin and desigened a new skin, added new features, and it then started to take off.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Tazmanian

julia44 is on a distinguished road
When my business partner and I created our first store I knew down the road I would want a forum. We both belonged to a huge community dedicated to what our business was focused on. Over time we both grew really upset with the place and then eventually po'd at the place. So we finally started talking about a forum.

That's when my baby came to life and 4 months later we're almost ready to open her to the public. I got in to my business planning my wedding it should be a happy place for everyone. It was truly sad when that other community went down hill. But you can only move on to build a better one Lots of research and all nighters went into our community.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:16 PM
TAZ Regular

Twilli is on a distinguished road
It is interesting to read all the responses. My first forum experience was a very large corporately "run" forum. It was a really negative place to be, the moderators were never there unless someone emailed them about a problem so it was a little like an unattended High School classroom...they even had a number of resident bullies. There were really weren't any good jewelry making forums out there so I thought there had to be a better way to do it...so I gathered up a few friends and we did it.

I did 100's of hours of research before starting the forum, TAZ was huge help. I was really glad I ran across this forum. I also surfed 100's of forums to get ideas about what other forums were like, the atmosphere, the people etc. I looked to see which boards were really busy on those forums and which ones weren't. From all of the information I gathered we formed a business plan and stuck with it and it worked.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
TAZ Regular

Snake_Doc is on a distinguished road
I created my website because at the end of last year, I was bored with my current Degree I was getting in university and tried to find something more interesting...

I started looking into criminology and got hooker to everything about it.

So I started a website to talk about crimes and the whole world around it.

Took me weeks to get a decent names...

I couldn't take care of it for a couple of weeks but now I started again to work on it more seriously ...

If you wish to check it out, there is a link in my sig, feel free to join and chat .
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Nerd Herder @ Geek4ums

Frodosringfinger has a spectacular aura about
I thought about my site, and designed it for about 2 months. It was ready to go, but I just couldnt think of a good name for it that still had the .com unregistered. Finally got it, opened mid October '06.

Started it because I couldnt find any other forum with lotr, trek, star wars, harry potter, gaming, tech all in one.

Last edited by Frodosringfinger; 06-27-2007 at 10:29 PM..
Old 06-28-2007, 04:22 AM
Tazmanian

Lenka is on a distinguished road
I was on a message board and someone from the message board (but another group that I was usually reading) started a forum using the IPB forum software. I have never seen such a software before and that kind og forum concept, so I joined and checked it out.

At that time I had a web page with some kind of private service for those who were using the message board, but I didn't have any forum or message board of my own. Actually I had started programming my own kind of message board (from scratch) but I have never thought of anything as advanced as a "real" forum.

When I started using the IPB that someone else has started, I got addicted to all the features that it had! (even though I didn't want to admit it.. at that time I would rather want to create my very own unique place, and not just install a software, that anyone could do). After some time using the other forum created, I was thinking that it would be fun to start my own forum on my website with the service. I like the though that I could do anything I wanted with it, and that I was the one calling the shots. So I gave it a try, and it has been really fun! I learned everything along the way, and still learning every day.

Would be fun to try to start over with a new project though.. I really miss the old days where everything was new and exciting. I just feel that I have too many things that I want to have done on my main forum forst, before I can start a new one.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:52 AM
TAZ Regular

goldfin is on a distinguished road
I started making one when I saw my friend having it. It looked cool to me. But I knew about earning much later.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:13 AM
Tazmanian

biftek is just really nicebiftek is just really nice
i owned the domain name of http://Ausbb.com for quite sometime and was unsure what to do with it , i was considered turning into into a Australian Bed and breakfast review/listing site ,

was hunting around on google with the search term of ausbb to see what listings came back , saw Australian body building, so i thought what the heck might just as well test the waters and that was how Ausbb - Australian bodybuilding was born
Old 08-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Tazmanian

bex is on a distinguished road
I was an assistant admin on a teen depression support forum for a couple of years, but i had so many ideas that i decided to start my own support forum. I wanted mine to be for all ages and for all life issues, and that's what it is.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Tazmanian

nora will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't call it research.. more a long dream..
Ever since I was about 12 I dreamed of a forum but I never had the resources to start one. I also had an idea of what I wanted it to be like so it didn't come entirely without planning.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 AM
TAZ Rookie

michaelgc is on a distinguished road
Quite honestly, I never intended on having a website. LOL

Sanctuary just happened, and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I started it! It was originally hosted on a free hosting site, kept outgrowing what was available and being moved, until it finally ended up on a paid host, and developed into what it is now.

I also have a few other sites, which actually were thought out before being developed.

As for my forum - I have participated in a number of forums on the 'net, and served as a moderator on some. I started my forum simply as a faster way to interact with my 'visitors', because email takes too much time.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Tazmanian

Hangman is just really niceHangman is just really nice
There are no "nice" dinghy sailing forums on the internet, so I started one up! I had a vague idea of what I wanted, and now I'm building it up as I go along before I launch the forum.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started