Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Just a simple man.

Admin Experience: Advanced
Dus1tin is on a distinguished road
Relax, it is not a big deal. If you do not worry about having tons of activity to begin with and just do what you love it will go fine.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Kidsphoenixx will become famous soon enough
lol....I'd be up that well know creek if I DID have tons of activity! I haven't worked out how much of it all works yet!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Tazmanian

grepper has a spectacular aura about
:) see what I mean kid???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidsphoenixx
lol....I'd be up that well know creek if I DID have tons of activity! I haven't worked out how much of it all works yet!
I TOLD ya this was a great place didnt I ?

The best advice you've heard already, so I'll add my own little bit here:

With pencil and paper, draw some little boxes, your site, your store, and your forum. draw some circles near the edges to show external stuff, other sites, affiliated friends and so one.

then draw one or two or three of these little buddies

give em each a name and some personality, and spend a few minutes each day walking them through your world on paper.

what would "" want to do? what would she say? what would you want her to say? what would appeal to her?

Use your natural powers and years of human experience to project yourself into her shoes and BE her. Now that you know what "she wants" it helps you to know what to add to your site to make 'her' happy.

Do that for all your characters and make sure that one of them is YOU. that way, no matter what, you'll have a site that YOU enjoy.

Of course, there will come times when some of it will lose its luster and feel like WORK and not FUN...those times will come, and they will pass, so dont allow yourself to be stressed.

At the very least, being part of a dynamic little world that you helped to create and nurture makes you alive!*

*gawd, now I sound like Richard Simmons!

Last edited by grepper; 12-19-2006 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: What makes you think this is an EDIT?? huh?? - what if i told you that THIS is the actual post and all that babbling above was the edit, what then?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Tazmanian

yep...you had me up and bouncing around by the end! LOL
Seriously though.excellent advice, and I thank you.and everyone else. Places like this help to restore my faith in the human race, bit by bit.
Thank you
Old 12-19-2006, 08:02 PM
ForumsForums.com

Orp will become famous soon enough
There is a lot of of behind the scenes stuff once you get members, but for me, by far, the biggest challenge was getting members that would visit daily and post often. A core base of mods / helpers can sure make that task easier.
Good luck jumping in and running your own forum. I bet you'll enjoy the experience.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Tazmanian

So far I have......well, almost 100% lol
This 51 year old brain threatens to meltdown sometimes with all the stuff I'm forcing it to learn.....was bad enough when I discovered Joomla!, now I've added to the learning curve with SMF!
Still, it's all good really......keeps the mind active.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
CMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to allCMOBOSS is a name known to all
I love this place. awesome open conversation about everything and everything regarding site administration and especially the forums side of a website. took me two years to find this place and i am glad it is here. plenty of info.

Just thought i would drop my 2cents.

in regards to your "new found understanding of a forums and some admin' reasoning to the forums. you are simply goin thru the phases. eventually you will realise there are many ways to set up your forums and use it to your advantage while not turning your forums into an obvious "click me click me clicke me" site. often (assuming you are going to eventually seek google adsense or some form of click thru payments. (without asking member payment) a simple block to the main page . out of direct site but still noticable, si enough. your dedicated and appreciative members will make use of this. the way i see it. if my google ads provides enough to continue suporting the hosting of the site. that is good enough for me.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 AM
The Only e107 user?

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Ollie1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grepper
I TOLD ya this was a great place didnt I ?

The best advice you've heard already, so I'll add my own little bit here:

With pencil and paper, draw some little boxes, your site, your store, and your forum. draw some circles near the edges to show external stuff, other sites, affiliated friends and so one.

give em each a name and some personality, and spend a few minutes each day walking them through your world on paper.

what would "" want to do? what would she say? what would you want her to say? what would appeal to her?

Use your natural powers and years of human experience to project yourself into her shoes and BE her. Now that you know what "she wants" it helps you to know what to add to your site to make 'her' happy.

Do that for all your characters and make sure that one of them is YOU. that way, no matter what, you'll have a site that YOU enjoy.

Of course, there will come times when some of it will lose its luster and feel like WORK and not FUN...those times will come, and they will pass, so dont allow yourself to be stressed.

At the very least, being part of a dynamic little world that you helped to create and nurture makes you alive!*

*gawd, now I sound like Richard Simmons!
Very good advice there, its definatly a good way to evaluate your site from a user angel.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Passionate admin

dojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to alldojo is a name known to all
I do hope all the info here DIDN'T SCARE you too much. It shouldn't. It's better to read all these and start with a lot of knowledge instead of making all the mistakes most of us did. I started my forums 5 years ago and believe me I made all the stupid things in the "book", This is why TAZ is good: you can learn from our experience and it would save you some sleepless nights
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Tazmanian

I agree totally Dojo.
I learned about doing lots of reading after I found Joomla! lol
Stunned is probably a better description........the incredible amount of knowledge available online is just that..INCREDIBLE, and with each passing day I meet Serendipity, and find even more stuff I had no idea about.
( Though I often wish I had started with all this stuff at an earlier age lol)
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Just a simple man.

Dus1tin is on a distinguished road
Never mind, forget it. Run for the hills while u still can. I hate running my forum.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Tazmanian

Lenka is on a distinguished road
I didn't have any special goals when I started my forum in 2003. I just wanted a place on my site, where people could talk (I had a site with services, but no forums in the beginning), and I had been on other sites with the same topics and I was thinking "I can do this better" (because on the sites I was on, the admins either had no technicals skills or they weren't really interested in their own topic of forum.

So I tried and I feel it's a success.. but when the forum starts growing, the administrating gets more complicated with issues I never would have thought of in the beginning. And the more demanding people are, the more i feel that *I* want to gain something more from the forums.. and I am getting bigger goals. But it doesn't happen over night and there will be plenty of time for your skills to grow as your forum does
Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:

I loved this advice.. thanks a lot!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Tazmanian

grepper has a spectacular aura about
Thanks right back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenka
I loved this advice.. thanks a lot!
Luckily, you caught me on the day I was taking my Meds!

(the day before was the (*!@ Ban them all day!)
Old 12-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Luckily, you caught me on the day I was taking my Meds!

(the day before was the (*!@ Ban them all day!)
Uhhh.. I know that feeling.. feel like that Jykyll & Hyde sometimes
Old 12-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I speak Jive

Admin Experience: Intermediate
MissMoke will become famous soon enough
You'll learn more by doing, and reading here, and taking suggestions, and doing more, and reading here more, and taking more suggestions.

Adminning is hard work. I never thought it would be as hard as it has been. But I can honestly say that once you get into a groove with your staff and members.... there's nothing better.

You'll get out of it what you put into it. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Tazmanian

I would like to thank all who have responded to my post.....you all gave me excellent and very pertinent advice which I will definitely take heed of.
I am so glad I found TAZ so early on in my Forum development, and I will no doubt spend more time here...even if it's mainly reading.

to you all!

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff