Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff

Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:46 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Intermediate
m38967 is on a distinguished road
What should i pay a staff member, such as a new MOD?
I am seeking to hire two mods for my new forum and i am wondering what should i pay (monetary and non-monetary) them? This is for a new and small forum on the topic of online shopping and hot deals. Please advise.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:12 PM
TAZ Rookie

how about...
How does .10 per post sound for a new MOD, dedicated to finding freebies on my board.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:20 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
Auron is on a distinguished road
Personally, be careful about "real payment" unless your getting good donations to your site

Most mods will do it for free - if its a forum they really enjoy, that in itself is payment, the "prestige" if you like of moving up the ranks a bit more. Alternatively, use "free" payments, such as points, "money" etc to use in online shops (does our forum have a "Shop" facility?)

And finally make sure they prove themselves! Why pay a Mod who ends up doing a rubbish job? Keep it simple, and above all consistent
Old 12-09-2006, 03:34 PM
TAZ Rookie

I would love to institute a points system on my forum, but i dont think a MOD exists just yet for SMF, my board software. Too bad, because, i would install and use it. Is there another way to add a points system on an SMf forum, besides a MOD?

Thanxs for the good ideas, Auron.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Prince of Dorkness

Admin Experience: Guru
PalePhoenix is just really nicePalePhoenix is just really nice

If you're hiring ME, then roughly $200 an hour for various consulting, design, and management duties.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Francisco

Francisck is a jewel in the rough
There is a point's system for smf, anyway, i agree that you probably should not pay your staff unless you are geting some good donations or income from the site.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Tazmanian

Hangman is just really niceHangman is just really nice
I think the payment should be being a part of a fantastic forum and team, not being paid to post and moderate. Moderating is a privilage on most sites and forums I visit, not a chore.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:02 PM
TAZ Rookie

PP----I can't afford you, just yet. (lol)

Although i'm sure you're worth every penny of the $200 an hour.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Fun 'N Frugal Gal

couponsaremygame has a spectacular aura about
How many members do you have. I looked (and joined) at your board and there just doesnt seem to be much activity.

Are you looking to hire mods to help increase the activty at your forum?
Old 12-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Prince of Dorkness

I'm worth a million in prizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m38967
Although i'm sure you're worth every penny of the $200 an hour.
It's a sliding scale. Sadly, you can't submit it to insurance, but you might be able to get a tax write-off if you hurry before Dec. 31st.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:28 PM
The Only e107 user?

Ollie1 will become famous soon enough
I have never come across staff payment before, and enjoy the fact my moderators do it for the 'love' of it.

Try managing without mods for a while, and when you think you need them just hire a couple of active members. I think you will pleasently suprised that there is no need to pay real money.

I have a gold system on my site, if a moderator completes a task for me or is generally a big help i send them a bit of gold as a thank you.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Senior Citizen

eJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to behold
Actually, there are a lot of sites that have paid staff. I've done it a few times. Two hundred and hour is a bit steep, but I have gotten anywhere from $300.00 per month to as high as 1400.00 per week. Granted, my duties at the higher rates include more than just standard moderating, but my point is, there are paid staff members here in the ether.

R'gards,

Jim
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
The Only e107 user?

Ollie1 will become famous soon enough
cool well its news to me lol

i generally run medical support sites, which isnt the sort of site where payment is usual i would guess. What sorts of sites do offer payment, and where do they earn the money from in the first place?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Prince of Dorkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM
Two hundred and hour is a bit steep...
I've gotten twice that much on graphics alone, which is often short-term contract work, and ultimately depends on the complexity of the advertising instrument, its eventual purpose, and the client's resources. Consultancy (of any kind) is usually a one-shot deal and you charge what the market will bear, based on the expected return for the client.

If, for instance, we charged for the reviews done here, then it would be like saying, "Well, in six months, you will have doubled your members, ergo your revenues. If you're currently making X now, then we expect a percentage of your realized income as the results of our advice." However, this bein' tha Internets, we can't track down people to see how well they're doing. They usually take the money and run.

Regardless, my earlier 'offer' was intended as a joke. As I have often said of so many things in my life, "If I weren't giving it away, then you couldn't afford me."
Old 12-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Senior Citizen

eJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to beholdeJM is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhoenix
I've gotten twice that much on graphics alone, which is often short-term contract work, and ultimately depends on the complexity of the advertising instrument, its eventual purpose, and the client's resources. Consultancy (of any kind) is usually a one-shot deal and you charge what the market will bear, based on the expected return for the client.
Well, we were talking about moderating (or a managing capacity), not design.

---------------------------

As far as who is hiring paid staff, my contracts have varied from computer gear manufacturer to the travel industry and several points between. I don't go looking for them (however, I started as a volunteer at one), they usually contact me. And most are short-term, ranging from a month or so to less than 2 years. Although there have been some very good weeks, it's not been a sustaining income for me.

Jim
Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Prince of Dorkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM
Well, we were talking about moderating (or a managing capacity), not design.
Well, if we must stay OT at all times, then...

Paying your staff is a choice that only you can make, and that you should have a reasonable expectation of remaining able to do for the lifetime of your forum. Whether a function of your revenues, your out-of-pocket costs, a pittance you toss them to keep their attention--or some combination of the above--this amount should fall well within your operating budget, and it should go without saying that whomever gets what, he or she needs to earn it.

If you have a freehosted forum with no revenue, then you really can't pay anyone anything. If your site and/or forum generates hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars per month, then it's up to you how you share those spoils. Speaking strictly about moderators, you must clearly define their responsibilities and conduct assessments of their duties at regular intervals. Even if someone is a complete volunteer, that's still a wise thing to do.

No one can dictate an exact figure for what "moderating" is worth. It depends mostly on the number of members one has to manage, what kind of maintenance responsibilities this person has, and if there are any additional expectations, like recruiting or design. Often, if you have a contract worker--say, someone who does your skins for you, or who manages your hacks and coding work--then this person need not be consistently employed by you. Nor should you give him or her moderator status just for doing a one-time (or infrequently recurring) job.

If you have an employee who does a single thing for you and then leaves, then this person has no business being listed as part of your staff. Likewise, they have something of a right to demand a higher rate for short-term work, the same way as "seasonal help" or "hookers" operate. If your business does well, and this is obvious to your staff...well, then it might be wise to cut them in on a bit of the success they've helped make happen.

If you DO elect to compensate your staff in any way, then it's usually best that you do not discuss these matters with any but the person getting paid. They may talk amongst each other, and that can't be helped, but if it's your intention not to pay people equally for equal work, then you reap what you sow. That said, you have a right to do pretty much whatever you see fit, but if one mod finds out another mod is making twice what they do for no particular reason, then be prepared to lose a staffmember.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 AM
Fun 'N Frugal Gal

couponsaremygame has a spectacular aura about
I was offered a paid position at a forum once. They offered to pay me $200 when I declined they then offered me $1000 a month. I still declined (and then took my "assets" and we started up a new board)

Honestly we would like to get to the point where we could kick back some sort of compensation towards our staff. But were not there yet.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Libertate is a jewel in the rough
Why don't you consider something like what DP does?

Revenue sharing is a very good method to reward the MODs and it also benefits you.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponsaremygame
How many members do you have. I looked (and joined) at your board and there just doesnt seem to be much activity.

Are you looking to hire mods to help increase the activity at your forum?
Yes, the mod for the freebies board, would aid me mostly with posting, maybe i should call the position by some other name, instead of MOD. This is a new board with few members and slow on activity.

PP---From the quality of your posts, i can tell your very knowledgeable about forums and the community mechanism in general. I am seeking "moderators" to aid me with activity, as i have a regular full-time job and i don't spend as much time as i would like on the forum. But in time, i will. Also i am new to this whole thing, so i have lots to learn and that is why i am here at TAZ. (btw: i liked your previous avatar better)

Libertate: What or Who is DP?

I'm not looking to hire loads of folks, (maybe two at the most) and i will pay the market price, but i will keep it within my small budget.

Thanxs for all your responses.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Libertate is a jewel in the rough
DP = DigitalPoint

Add a field for user profile - available only to specific group.
Field holds their Adsense account #.

At certain percentage of the time, when they start a new thread, or when they moderate a specific forum, or when they post, the Adsense ads that appear within thread/forum/posts will use their account # - in essence making them money.

You can even create various tiers as how percentage, and occurance is counted toward their earnings.

It becomes an incentive for them to have high traffic within their moderated forums, and to have interesting threads.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff