Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:24 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Advanced
t_rent is on a distinguished road
Default Various Problems with Local forum
I run a local car forum. It has been around for 3 years and is doing really well. Almost 1000 members and 114k posts. We have a pretty active member base. Now onto some problems that I need other Admin's opinions about.

Sorry if this is long-winded.

First off are my mods. There have always been 2 mod's since the beginning, the same people. They helped me start the site. Well one mod is nonexistent so it's obviously to get rid of him. The other mod does an OK job, but I am finding out that he is spreading lies behind my back such as that I read everyone's PM's. This is obviously a lie and couldn't be farther from the truth. Since this is a local board everyone knows each other (part of the problem). He plays favorites with his group of friends in letting things go that he normally wouldn't.

If I demod him I feel it will create more trouble than it's worth since we are good friends. People on my site seem to take things a bit too seriously. At the same time though I don't like how he handles things any longer and the lies are getting to me. What do you guys think?

No onto my other, bit more serious problem.

The first 2 years the site was really strong and was a great community. This past year all has gone downhill. A group of friends just continue to make stupid pointless posts. They constantly talk be to me with saying "Stay on topic" and other stuff like that, just to make me mad. I have contributed their being more active to the downfall of my site. They became more active, thus immature posts increased, and our original members seem to have been pushed away by this and no longer post much.

This group also see the site as a joke and it's obvious in their posts.

I'm not happy with the site, haven't been in a long time and have almost shut it down a few times. It has just become a social forum for this small group of immature people. The focus has been taken off cars and turned into hmmm crap I guess.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, and I will continue to read through other posts to gather information.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Prince of Dorkness

Admin Experience: Guru
PalePhoenix is just really nicePalePhoenix is just really nice

Why do you stay there? The community is hostile to you, your staff is absent or undermining your authority, and if you've contemplated closing it before, you're obviously not happy with this situation at all.

Before I suggest anything more concrete, I need to understand more about your specific relationship to this site. Are you the sole owner, and do you have the exclusive right to control content? Do you collect revenue from this site, and are you the only one who does so? Have you given any consideration to selling the site to one of the other admins, or an entirely different board owner?

What is the one thing, of the issues that you mention, that you most wish you could change?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:54 PM
TAZ Rookie

I am the sole owner and the sole admin. I do collect revenue from the site and I'm the only person who does so.

I understand you saying "why do you stay there." I think about this lots myself, but I've put so much hard work and time into this. It has the potential to be what I want it to be, albeit with a lot of work.

I wish I could change the direction of the forums. Like I said right now it is becoming more and more immature and losing focus of what the site is really about...the cars. I want to get the focus back on the cars like it used to be the first two years before this group of friends starting posting like crazy about all things minus cars.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
TAZ Regular

SactoEric will become famous soon enough
Do you have an Off Topic forum and if so, do their off topic posts spill out into the other forums? Is that one of the main problems? If so, you could start splitting their topics off & putting the off topic stuff in the right place. Do you have any rules or guidelines in place? Do they state that topics must be posted in the correct forum and you reserve the right to move, edit or delete any posts that do not conform to your rules? Make sure you have something like that. If it's new, let people know that you have new rules. Once you have something like that, you can use it to warn people who are posting in the incorrect forums just to spite you. Give them a few warnings & then you have reason to suspend and/or ban.
I've had a few people do this and as long as you're up front about everything and can show that you're doing the right thing, people will respect you and know that the other person is full of crap. Most of the time the other members will keep people like that in check.
Oh, and it's probably a good idea to bring on other moderators so it's more even and those one or two people aren't running the show behind your back... Those other mods can also keep an eye on those questionable people and help split/move topics.
It's your forum, take control.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Prince of Dorkness

Admin Experience: Guru
PalePhoenix is just really nicePalePhoenix is just really nice

Well, when I asked those questions, it was prior to seeing that you've put in for a Review Request, which may take a few days to complete for you, but I was hesitant to let my staff do it if you were just going to throw your hands up and walk away. A review would be good for helping you find a new direction, but it was important to know first that you were going to be capable of effecting any changes that might be suggested.

For now, I'd just say to kick your feet up and take a break from the site. They want to run it so badly, let them have the last while to think that they do. Use the time to check around TAZ at what others have done when they were ready to walk away, and you might gain some solace and strength from their accounts.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 PM
TAZ Rookie

There will be no giving up on my site. It means too much to me and I know that I can turn things around and make it back into what it used to be, about the cars and not really all the other BS. Giving up on something is not in my nature. If I give up on it then the people who don't like me and are doing things just to get under my skin, well they win. I can't have that. I plan on putting lots of hard work into the site and make it better than it ever was.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff