Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:19 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Gary is on a distinguished road
When I write up an announcement in regards to new staff members being recruited, I usually have other news to post. For example, if I update my forum in one way or another, the announcement is mainly pointed at the update, and underneath it all I just write a couple of sentences regarding who has become a staff member and various information to go with it. If a current staff member is promoted to a manager position then I tend to write a bit more regarding it as it's quite a big leap and should be notified to the rest of the community.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM
just david(:

SageStone is just really niceSageStone is just really nice
Hello,
On our forums, we do not announce it publicly usually. The exception to this is the selection of a new Site Admin, which is on a very rare occasion. But, we do not publicly announce promotions from Member to Moderator.

However, each new staff member gets their own topic in the Staff Boards, which the other staff members congratulate them in and such.

~Sage
Old 05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
TAZ Rookie

cazna is on a distinguished road
I always announce my new staff to the forum, it seems to give them more confidence in their new role and they feel good about themselves when the rest of the team and the members welcome them into their position..i remember my first ever mod job, i know i certainly felt pressured but the welcoming and congrats eased me.

soon enough i was a mod of about 5 forums and owned four of my own
Old 08-30-2007, 05:09 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Beginner
babybear is on a distinguished road
Yes, we do announce promotions. Each Mod/Contributor has a dedicated "announcement thread" that indicates the new roles/responsibilities, and why he/she was chosen for the promotion. Then all members can just reply to the thread to say congratulations or whatever.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Tazmanian

Oghma is just really niceOghma is just really nice
When it comes to a site with 8-12 thousand posts a day and well over 300,000 members, it's pointless not to announce new moderators. There's even an official system for people to apply these days. A list of the promoted members for that review is placed up, and, if the members feel like it, they can make a congratulations thread for that poster in the forum the person is being promoted to.

It helps for newer members to be able to recognize the system of the site, how it works, and who they can go to for help.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Xief is on a distinguished road
Well, I haven't actually announced new staff yet; we haven't accepted any, since I'm paranoid about overstaffing and as such will only get new mods if I feel it's necessary.

However, if I were to get new staff members, I would probably make some sort of announcement, simply because I'm the type that feels like she has to tell her members whenever she does something, just so they'll know about it. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, though; no fanfare or anything like that. I feel our community in particular (as in, compared to other communities in our niche) can sometimes be prone to, a) pretentiousness, or "power-hungriness," and b) that "lawyer" attitude that can sometimes be such a hassle.

So yeah. I'd let them know, but not make a big deal out of it. No big long list of reasons why they were made mod either. It's just not worth the trouble. Besides, if they want to know what type of things I look for in a mod, all they have to do is ask.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:02 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Guru
whoiga is on a distinguished road
I think it's important to announce additions to the staff to help let your community know that they can go to that person for help and for answers, in addition to all of the current staff people may approach with concerns or issues.

Remember, staff members should never just be "moderators" or "administrators", they really serve the purpose of helping the community grow, maintaining order, and in some cases acting as a big brother or big sister to one or more members that may be having troubles outside of the forum.

I also strongly believe in hand-picking moderators/administrators. I'm against any and all forms of "recruiting" or "applications for staff positions." If you're not hand-picking your staff members, you might end up bringing a user with malicious-intent onto your staff. Be mindful of the criteria you base your hand-picked selections off of, however. Don't just pick people because you know them or they're your friends. Evaluate everyone on a fair scale, and you'll acquire successful & loyal staff members.

One thing I don't do is announce staff removals. I let forced-removals diminish silently so as to avoid humiliating such members (if the ex-staff member decides to bring it up and cause trouble however, I'll briefly explain to the public & proceed to remove the user from all forum access), and if someone leaves on good terms, I "may" announce it, in an honorable and respectful manner, perhaps to draw an applause for that staff member's contributions during his/her time with the community.

True Galaxies
Old 09-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Julia has a spectacular aura about
Yes I do, and it's one little thing that has bugged me about TAZ that they don't do this. I just think it's nice for the community to know of new moderators & also nice for the new mod to have an introduction.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Elspeth is on a distinguished road
We announce new mods in the mod forum so the current mods can welcome them. As far as the general membership is concerned, announcements of new mods or retiring mods are made in the monthly newsletter so we don't have threads in the Announcement forum.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 AM
The Ancient Dragon

Alex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant futureAlex. has a brilliant future
When given the chance I announce, I do not solicit members.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 AM
TAZ Regular

Fantaloonastic is on a distinguished road
We do the welcome to new staff in our staff forums. Our staff forums have an area where all staff comes together, whether it be newsposters, mods, gallery/blog or whatever other special staff. We normally have the "new staffer!" announcements and welcome topic there.

We have a topic on the forums for the forum staff to introduce themselves and say something about themselves. Other than that the modcolor in the online list and the staff page.

Perhaps we should start making a bigger event out of staffings, but we go through mods at quite a pace sometimes, and I don't want to draw too much attention to the leaving mod and sometimes the reason why they left, to spare their feelings as well.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Tazmanian

lordtopcat will become famous soon enough
I usually add an announcement on the board, explaining a bit about the new staff member etc. But doesn't really further than that.

Around a week after a promotion the new staff member is usually known board wide anyway, so.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 AM
Tazmanian

Corydalis will become famous soon enough
Yes, we generally do announce new staff members. We have a Support and Announcements forum where we post news about the site, and in the case of new global mods or other major staff appointments or changes, we may post it as a board announcement in all forums.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:15 PM
TAZ Rookie

lngbd is on a distinguished road
I am trying to get to the problem of whether to announce the new admin/moderator...

Do y'all have suggestions on best places to post a 'Help Wanted: Forum Admin' blurb? Or best way to find a great forum admin to join the team? Thnx!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
just david(:

SageStone is just really niceSageStone is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lngbd View Post
I am trying to get to the problem of whether to announce the new admin/moderator...

Do y'all have suggestions on best places to post a 'Help Wanted: Forum Admin' blurb? Or best way to find a great forum admin to join the team? Thnx!
After you meet the minimum requirements, which I believe is 10 posts on the other areas of TAZ, you can post in the "Community Cooperative" section of TAZ requesting new staff.

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=14

Please note that you must use the template listed HERE to post your thread.

SageStone
Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 AM
TAZ Rookie

pantz is on a distinguished road
I always introduce new staff to the community and put the old rubber stamp on the decision even if they have been a member for years. I feel it is my job to announce changes within the community because these changes often affect the members more so than myself.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Confused

jono_marko is on a distinguished road
I do it silently because when you remove a mod you will have to post something and when you add a mod you'll have to post something and I'm lazy so if you want to know who the mods are go on the staff link.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:38 AM
Aequitas - Veritas

biliyad1 is on a distinguished road
I announce it in staff forums. Sometimes in regular forums, but only if that person isn't very popular.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:52 PM
TAZ Regular

esj is on a distinguished road
we always announce it. the members want to know. and if we didn't, someone would notice and ask about it anyway. ditto for staff leavings - they always get announced too.

usually when it comes to staff leavings, its a closed FYI post so that no one can comment. We don't go into specifics about it - just say that the person has stepped down/is no longer a mod. Thanks for all the contributions to the forums.

if we don't announce it, someone will post to ask and there will likely be more drama.

esj
Old 07-09-2008, 10:31 PM
TAZ Rookie

mercy is on a distinguished road
I admin a site of approx 5000 members and there's a fair few staff wannabees so we take it seriously when it comes to recruiting and we have a wide range of choice. Once a staff members has been decided and the position has been accepted, then we have a site announcement which flashes up on all members home pages and also we usually do a forum posting to welcome that member to staff. Sometimes we will announce it in shoutbox as well.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff