Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Social Networking

Social Networking Websites and software which promote online social interaction - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:24 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Advanced
MarcoH64 is on a distinguished road
Default What $#$ is sendin out this Zoints Spam?
Just received 2 unasked for mails advertising Zoints.

Those sending out those mails really don't know what they are doing. A whole list of mail addresses as receipants. Why do you want others in that list to see my mail address???

I don't know where they got their list of addresses, but the only Zoint related website i have ever used this mail address on, is here at TAZ.

The mail itself make it looks like it was sent from a website i never visited before.

Message text:
Quote:
Hey guys

A great new website has just opened up. Zoints.com have made a profile system similar to that of Myspace. These profiles are sooo easy to make and are a lot cooler than Myspaces profiles. The cool thing about Zoints is that all profiles are linked to loads of great interesting sites - like my site: http://www.sportszonefanatics.com

If you could register at my site, then register at zoints by clicking on the Zoints link at the top of the page (once you have registered on my site), I would much appreciate it!

If we all have a Zoints profile, we can keep in contact really easy, and we can then access it at school - unlike Myspace. Plus you would be helping out my site, and my mates new site (Zoints.com) grow and grow!

If you could forward this to anyone, I will be eternally greatful :P#

Thanks a lot

Matt

PS This is no bull shizzle emai or scaml, I just thought that you guys would be interested in this! It's also completely free!
Sending address if both mails:matt butler <mattbutler_2@hotmail.com>
Old 06-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Tazmanian

DChapman is a jewel in the rough
Hmm, I have no idea, we sure as heck didn't ask them to do that. But i'm going to make sure it stops (I recognize the site in question). I can pretty much guarantee they didn't get the email from here at TAZ.

I hate spam as much as the next guy.

*edit*

I have added the following in a thread on our support forum for community owners:

Quote:
We have received a report of someone spamming others with a request to join their site and using Zoints in the email. DO NOT do this! Zoints hates spam with the utmost passion and this type of action will get your site removed from the Zoints network.
We will also add information about such practices to our forum owner TOS. I'm really sorry for the trouble Marco.

Last edited by DChapman; 06-11-2006 at 04:56 PM..
Old 06-11-2006, 05:11 PM
TAZ Rookie

It is ok, i already cooled down a bit.

I would however really like to know how this other site got hold of my email address. This was on an address i consider a "clean" address. I only use it with people i know very good or trust.

There are only a very few boards where i have this as my registered address, and of these only to have the slighest relation with Zoints AFAIK (TAZ and vB.org - which don't have a real relation).

So i would like to know:
- How did Zoints get my address?
- How did another website in the Zoint network got hold of email addresses of other websites (assuming TAZ for the time being, no offense here).

Looks like i have another email address i'd better dump.

EDIT: Thanks that you (and Danny ) take so fast action on researching this.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Tazmanian

Marco,

I'll investigate and let you know where he obtained the address.

Again, thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Administrator

The Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond repute
Your frustration is understandable. Rest assured that no TAZ Staff member gave out your email address, and that we would never knowingly allow anyone to spam our members using information from our database.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:07 AM
TAZ Rookie

Brainwrek is on a distinguished road
Something is very screwed up here. Every time I log back into this forum I read something about how important privacy is to you... and how security is top priority... yet some random Zoints community member gets access to some other random Zoints member's email and no one can figure out why!?!?!?!?

This is TOTALLY unacceptible! Looks to me like you guys are obviously hiding something. Unbelievable.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwrek
Something is very screwed up here. Every time I log back into this forum I read something about how important privacy is to you... and how security is top priority... yet some random Zoints community member gets access to some other random Zoints member's email and no one can figure out why!?!?!?!?

This is TOTALLY unacceptible! Looks to me like you guys are obviously hiding something. Unbelievable.
I think you're jumping to conclusions there. You're assuming that the email was taken from zoints. That can't be the case because they sent an email to marco asking them to join zoints. If they were already a member, the spammer in question wouldn't have felt the need to send an invite, would they?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:26 AM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Intermediate
mattyb is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I sent that email.

I sent an email to my mates (they are all under "Mates" in my contact list) who I know will be interested in being members of Zoints. I honestly don't know how I got your email address, or why your address was in "my mates" contact list *confused*

I cannot apologise enough for sending this email to yourself, and am truly sorry it got to you. I never intended this email to be "spam" and will make sure the same doesn't happen again.

Again, I am very sorry, and no, this email had nothing to do with Zoints, but something I wrote to my internet user friends.

Sorry again,

EDIT: Marco, didn't you right the post by proxy hack on vb.org? I may have gotten your email from that site to ask you a question about that hack as it didn't work on my site.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:53 AM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwrek

Like already mentioned you are jumping to conclusions. Not that this is so strange, i also jumped to some conclusions, but always presented these options as possibilities. Until you have solid information or proof, you should try doing the same.

PS If you read my next reply, you will see that all my assumptions where probably wrong.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:56 AM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb
Hey guys, I sent that email.

I sent an email to my mates (they are all under "Mates" in my contact list) who I know will be interested in being members of Zoints. I honestly don't know how I got your email address, or why your address was in "my mates" contact list *confused*

I cannot apologise enough for sending this email to yourself, and am truly sorry it got to you. I never intended this email to be "spam" and will make sure the same doesn't happen again.

Again, I am very sorry, and no, this email had nothing to do with Zoints, but something I wrote to my internet user friends.

Sorry again,

EDIT: Marco, didn't you right the post by proxy hack on vb.org? I may have gotten your email from that site to ask you a question about that hack as it didn't work on my site.
Matty,

Thanks for coming forward and admitting the mistake. Not everyone would have done the same.

I guess i have made a mistake when i gave you that mail address, since i mostly use another mail address for vb.org, unless i have a longtime working relationsship with teh member.

Luckely it seems that all the possible scenarios i thought of, where all wrong.

I would like to apoligize to if i put anyone in a difficult position.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Tazmanian

hari is a glorious beacon of lighthari is a glorious beacon of lighthari is a glorious beacon of light
Glad to see this one sorted out... thanks matty for coming forward. We appreciate your gesture and putting an end to all speculation.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:00 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoH64
Matty,

Thanks for coming forward and admitting the mistake. Not everyone would have done the same.

I guess i have made a mistake when i gave you that mail address, since i mostly use another mail address for vb.org, unless i have a longtime working relationsship with teh member.

Luckely it seems that all the possible scenarios i thought of, where all wrong.

I would like to apoligize to if i put anyone in a difficult position.
I am no coward, and will face any problems head on.

I don't think you gave me the email address, more like I found it in your profile to contact yourself about a hack.

I cannot stress enough that this was MY DOING, not Zoints, and I am truly sorry to all who I caused distress, concern and anger to.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb
I don't think you gave me the email address, more like I found it in your profile to contact yourself about a hack.
That would not be possible since the email address is not shown to public in profile, and you can't mail me through my profile.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:18 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoH64
That would not be possible since the email address is not shown to public in profile, and you can't mail me through my profile.
I was nearly right. http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...=post+by+proxy

Scroll down to the bottom what you have said and your email address is there.

I guess I saw that email address and used that to communicate with yourself.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Tazmanian

hari is a glorious beacon of lighthari is a glorious beacon of lighthari is a glorious beacon of light
So it appears that the e-mail was not so private after all. Now the whole thing is clear. Thanks everybody. It makes it clear to all of us. Hopefully everybody concerned will be quite satisfied that TAZ or Zoints did not disclose anybody's private info.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishankar
Glad to see this one sorted out... thanks matty for coming forward. We appreciate your gesture and putting an end to all speculation.
Heh I musta skipped over your post!

No prob. I don't see the point in hiding from a problem - especially when David knew (from my email address) that I was responsible.

I also wanted to clear TAZ and Zoints of any wrong doing
Old 06-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
Mark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to beholdMark.B is a splendid one to behold
Whilst this matter was not directly the fault of Zoints or TAZ, it does highlight nicely what is wrong with this system.

If that were to happen on my board, most members would assume the blame lay with me and that I was a spammer. I'd wager the same would be true on many sites as well.

You're handing control of your userbase to something you have no control over. If that suits you, then fine, some sites may benefit. But many others will not. Tread carefully people.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow
Whilst this matter was not directly the fault of Zoints or TAZ, it does highlight nicely what is wrong with this system.

If that were to happen on my board, most members would assume the blame lay with me and that I was a spammer. I'd wager the same would be true on many sites as well.

You're handing control of your userbase to something you have no control over. If that suits you, then fine, some sites may benefit. But many others will not. Tread carefully people.
I don't see how this has anything to do with the system? I could send out the exact same email and replace "Zoints" with your forum's url, Google, or any other site. If I did that, how would that denote something is wrong with your forum?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Nissan / Infiniti guru

NICOCLUBcom will become famous soon enough
I love how people get so panicked (not you in particular, Marco) over their "privacy" when it comes to emails...

I think the reality is, it's a lot easier to "freak out' when you have an indentifiable target.

What do you do about the anonymous spam that comes in? You delete it.

As a Special Investigator and a Big-Boards forum owner, I can tell ya this: Fretting over your "privacy", especially in this business, is a recipe for undue stress. Your information is readily available to anyone who really wants it, regardless of their intentions.

Another reason I refuse to pay for "private" registration of domains, or maintain umpteen different email accounts for various purposes. It serves only to give you a headache (and increase someone's bottom line).

Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Social Networking