Old 05-14-2004, 08:14 AM
TAZ Rookie

mengland is on a distinguished road
Default Why no Mail2Forum (M2F) discussions?
I ran a search on theadminzone.com for both "Mail2Forum" and "M2F" and I found nothing.

http://m2f.sourceforge.net/

Even though it's in Beta, This seems like an indepsensible tool. Why is it that I could find no discussion about it?

Maybe the search engine at theadminzone.com could use a little more juice? eg, I did a search for "cross-posting" (to match a recent post I made), and I found my post. However, I ran another search for "cross-post" and it did not match my aforementioned post. ouch.

-Matt
Old 05-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Admin Experience: Advanced
The Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengland
Maybe the search engine at theadminzone.com could use a little more juice? eg, I did a search for "cross-posting" (to match a recent post I made), and I found my post. However, I ran another search for "cross-post" and it did not match my aforementioned post. ouch.
Did you use the asterisk? The asterisk represents one or more letters as a wildcard - you could have searched for cross*, cross-post*, or even *post* (although this last one would have brought up way more than you were looking for).
Old 05-14-2004, 08:36 AM
TAZ Rookie

Ok.

An advanced search for *M2F* found nothing, not even this thread. hmmm...

Also, imho, I would prefer phpbb/vbulletin search styles to be the simple "not-need-asterick" type, and not the "semi-regular-expression" type. I think it's a better fit for said user audience. Is this a BB site programmable/configurable option? But I digress from the purpose of my thread.

-Matt
Old 05-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Administrator

The Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengland
Ok.

An advanced search for *M2F* found nothing, not even this thread. hmmm...

Also, imho, I would prefer phpbb/vbulletin search styles to be the simple "not-need-asterick" type, and not the "semi-regular-expression" type. I think it's a better fit for said user audience. Is this a BB site programmable/configurable option? But I digress from the purpose of my thread.

-Matt
There is a 4 character minimum (excluding wildcards). There is no built-in way to change the search engine functions.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Tazmanian Gremlin

Admin Experience: Guru
wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
Maybe you couldn't find any discussions on this software because no one may have actually discussed it yet?

Also to have 3 letter word searches would bring the server to its knees.

As sandman said use wildcards.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Giant Hedgehog

accyroy is on a distinguished road
Just had a look at the M2F sight and it does sound interesting. I'd have a play with it but unfortunately the only 2 forum software's I use are VB and Invision..

Onto the search thing, I'm running a vb3 forum and i have allowed 3 letter searches and it doesn't bring the server to it's knees, Although I only have 25000 posts to search through.... I don't know how many times I've needed to do a 3 letter search on vb forums and been told i can't, very annoying!!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Tazmanian

Mike Feury is on a distinguished road
M2F looks interesting, but is likely to be difficult to get functioning well. ForumToEmail exists in most boards, so M2F will stand or fall on its EmailToForum ability. In that context,
Quote:
Bidirectional communication is intelligently routed to or from appropriate forum/thread based on content
is a concern. I would have thought the thread title or ID# would be the 'glue', rather than "content". Does "content" suggest M2F is going to be doing a board search every time it delivers an email?

I don't see it mentioned that it integrates with the thread subscribe function. This would be essential for busier boards.

The key is going to be the routing of inbound mail into the correct thread. If they can pull that off successfully, it'll be useful.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:15 PM
TAZ Rookie

shadow is on a distinguished road
The M2F software is a good peice of work, and has its uses. I have just been watching the progress of a large Yahoo! group move from the Yahoo! list server/'forums' to a phpBB board. Without M2F, it would have never worked. It's very surprising how many diehard old farts are out there that think email lists are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Granted, many of these users have been using the internet since the dawn of time, and many think that HTML and graphics are a bane to the existence of the Internet.

M2F is truly revolutionary and as I see it could single handedly bridge the gap between things like Yahoo! groups, newsgroups, and forums, giving the ultimate in user selection, if it catches on and forums start implementing it. Of course, teh developers probably should expand to encompass a much wider range of forums software to integrate with.

Check out the phpBB at www.msefi.com - they've done an excellent job at setting it up and have managed to basically please the email dinosaurs and the Yahoo! haters alike.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:56 AM
Tazmanian

Subhadip is on a distinguished road
It is just an alternative frontend to phpBB; and might be a good idea.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:09 PM
TAZ Rookie

Thanks so much for the M2F feedback and the www.msefi.com site.

Capabilities supported by M2F appear to be as significant as I had originally thought.

-Matt
Old 07-05-2004, 04:11 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sandman
There is a 4 character minimum (excluding wildcards). There is no built-in way to change the search engine functions.
I think it would be helpful if there was something in the search UI to tell the user that there is a 4-char minimum. eg, a user types in a 3-char search string and a clear error display (that looks very different form a "search results" display) comes back to say "one must provide 4 characters in a search string."

Last time I ran it, it just says "no results." Users can easily assume that there are no matching strings, when in fact, no search was performed?

Can the search mechanisms be changed (in any phpbb/vbulletin installation) to support such behavior?

-Matt
Old 07-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Chairman of the Board

NetDoc is a jewel in the rough
It does sound interesting... I have two forums running phpBB.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Community Organization