Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software > phpBB

phpBB Discuss phpBB.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:35 PM
TAZ Rookie

Soliloquy is on a distinguished road
Default what is the best chat room to integrate with phpBB?
In your opinion, what is the best chat room to integrate with phpBB?

The old incarnation of my forum used some sort of Java-based chat, which I personally didn't care for. (Java and my voice recognition program do NOT work and play well together.) So when I moved my forum, I installed X7 Chat, but after using it for a few weeks now I find it sometimes quits working unexpectedly, sometimes doesn't show everyone logged in but does show what they're saying, and other assorted weirdness. I'm not happy with it and would like to get something else.

Can anyone personally recommend a good chat room that takes phpBB logins, or should I just bite the bullet and give them back their Java chat room?

Thanks for any advice!
Michelle
Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I speak Jive

Admin Experience: Intermediate
MissMoke will become famous soon enough
We're using Sigma Chat, the free version. Works well for us.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:11 PM
TAZ Regular

TrumpetMaster is on a distinguished road
I was just about to ask the same question. I have experimented with chatbox shoutbox and other phpbb mods. I think they are all fairly worthless.

I was searching for an awesome chat room and i think this is it

http://www.123flashchat.com/phpbb_chat.html

The only problem is it is expensive!!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:33 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
mtcrowe is on a distinguished road
I use FlashChat and really love it. It's skinable and integrates nicely into the forum's database.

http://www.tufat.com/s_flash_chat_chatroom.htm

Michael

Crow's Nest Online Support Group
Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 PM
TAZ Rookie

RobBaker is on a distinguished road
The Forumotion site has an pretty good chatroom installed in their package, although I don't actually know what it is called. Might be worth looking into though.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Wakka Wakka Wakka

Admin Experience: Guru
phreakwars is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
In your opinion, what is the best chat room to integrate with phpBB?

The old incarnation of my forum used some sort of Java-based chat, which I personally didn't care for. (Java and my voice recognition program do NOT work and play well together.) So when I moved my forum, I installed X7 Chat, but after using it for a few weeks now I find it sometimes quits working unexpectedly, sometimes doesn't show everyone logged in but does show what they're saying, and other assorted weirdness. I'm not happy with it and would like to get something else.

Can anyone personally recommend a good chat room that takes phpBB logins, or should I just bite the bullet and give them back their Java chat room?

Thanks for any advice!
Michelle
From looking at the X7 Chat site, I am assuming you are running a PhPBB2 based forum, is this correct or is it PhPBB3?

If it's PhPBB2, then hands down the best chat software out there is Niels Fully Integrated Shoutbox. CLICK HERE

Otherwise, I like Handymans shoutbox for phpbb3. I do have instructions posted for that mod in the "SO YA WANNA LEARN HOW TO INSTALL A MOD" tutorial that is set as a sticky in this forum if you wanna check that out as well. It's a fun chat box to modify as well.

Here's what it looks like on my site.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 PM
TAZ Rookie

123flashchat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetMaster View Post
I was just about to ask the same question. I have experimented with chatbox shoutbox and other phpbb mods. I think they are all fairly worthless.

I was searching for an awesome chat room and i think this is it

http://www.123flashchat.com/phpbb_chat.html

The only problem is it is expensive!!!!
Thanks for your supporting our 123 flash chat.
Now we have total free chat hosting.http://www.123flashchat.com/free-flash-chat.html The chat hosting allows unlimited users online simultaneously.
And it has lots of powerful function like games, handwritng.

123 Flash Chat provides free chat download,http://www.123flashchat.com/download.html
This free chat has 123 Flash Chat full version features,but the users online simultaneously is 10.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Lord Malleus

zoldos is just really nicezoldos is just really nice
I use Prochatrooms and it intergrates seamlessly into my phpBB 3 forum with just some simple coding.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Wakka Wakka Wakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123flashchat View Post
Thanks for your supporting our 123 flash chat.
Now we have total free chat hosting.http://www.123flashchat.com/free-flash-chat.html The chat hosting allows unlimited users online simultaneously.
And it has lots of powerful function like games, handwritng.

123 Flash Chat provides free chat download,http://www.123flashchat.com/download.html
This free chat has 123 Flash Chat full version features,but the users online simultaneously is 10.
I guess I should respond to this.

123 Flash Chat is a GREAT application, but, does not conform to PHPBB3's standards. You are basically forced into buying the upgrades for this chat box to get extra functionality. While the upgrade features are top notch, the basic free version of this software is very limited. I really don't think it's features and upgrade commitments are fair to the users of phpbb3 or phpbb2 who use the phpbb software under free licensing. While I do think 123 flashchat has some of the most excellent features for the end user, I think it needs to exploit and emphasize it's capitalistic motivations for it's software, over trying to tell people it is a free alternative for them. 123 Flash Chat,simply does not live up to that expectation.The pricing for it can be found here: http://www.123livehelp.com/buy.html

And because 123 chat offers itself as a product instead of being free, I can't, in good faith, ever recommend it for phpbb until the author releases it as GNU and free like other PHPBB mods.

Last edited by phreakwars; 10-11-2009 at 08:00 AM..
Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
TAZ Rookie

Ashes226 is on a distinguished road
Flashchat
Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakwars View Post
I guess I should respond to this.

123 Flash Chat is a GREAT application, but, does not conform to PHPBB3's standards. You are basically forced into buying the upgrades for this chat box to get extra functionality. While the upgrade features are top notch, the basic free version of this software is very limited. I really don't think it's features and upgrade commitments are fair to the users of phpbb3 or phpbb2 who use the phpbb software under free licensing. While I do think 123 flashchat has some of the most excellent features for the end user, I think it needs to exploit and emphasize it's capitalistic motivations for it's software, over trying to tell people it is a free alternative for them. 123 Flash Chat,simply does not live up to that expectation.The pricing for it can be found here: http://www.123livehelp.com/buy.html

And because 123 chat offers itself as a product instead of being free, I can't, in good faith, ever recommend it for phpbb until the author releases it as GNU and free like other PHPBB mods.

Thank you. I would like to express my opinion about your comment above.

You say 123 Flash Chat “does not conform to PHPBB3's standards”

123 Flash Chat offers free Chat Module for phpBB 3 all the time. And we have updated this module to work for the latest version of phpBB. See the details of phpBB Chat Module of 123 Flash Chat: http://www.123flashchat.com/phpbb_chat.html. You even could find the subject in phpBB.com: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewt...f=70&t=1095235.

Of course, you are right that 123 Flash Chat basic free version is limited. But such free version is almost containing all features of other free chat software.

If 123 Flash Chat free version couldn't answer to your requirement, why not buy one to get all the features, and we will show the powerful, professional support. I believe it will above the money's worth. Buy one from here: http://www.123flashchat.com/buy.html
Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Wakka Wakka Wakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123flashchat View Post
Thank you. I would like to express my opinion about your comment above.

You say 123 Flash Chat “does not conform to PHPBB3's standards”
That's right.. OPEN SOURCE.

Just like eCardMax and their WYSIWYG editor for PhPBB, you require a fee for the extended features. Not to mention the ads that are in it.

Yes, the MOD can be found on PhPBB's website, you'll notice it's in the MODS IN DEVELOPMENT category. It will, without a doubt, never make it to the MOD database releases because of the fee.

Other then that, it's pretty nice software. I won't slam the free version too much, but for me, it just doesn't cut it.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 AM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
It will, without a doubt, never make it to the MOD database releases because of the fee.
Is it true that for the fee we will never make phpbb Chat Module to MOD database releases?

In fact, i'm trying to submit our phpbb chat module into phpBB Mod Database, but it is denied all the time. The mod team didn't tell us the reason is fee.

I am so confused.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Wakka Wakka Wakka

http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/license/

2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

So yes, you CAN charge for it, but it isn't acceptable to phpbb and their distribution standards.

Last edited by phreakwars; 03-30-2010 at 03:37 AM..
Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 AM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/license/

2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

So yes, you CAN charge for it, but it isn't acceptable to phpbb and their distribution standards.
Dear phreakwars,

Thanks for your so great advice. We will make a totally free chat for phpBB in future.

I hope we could get your more and more advice when we couldn't solve things by ourselves.

Best wishes!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:20 AM
TAZ Rookie

fastboy42 is on a distinguished road
Can't Go Past AJAX Chat
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Hydrotoast is just really niceHydrotoast is just really nice
I've actually tried a lot of these and was never satisfied with the design; being a designer myself, I like to customize everything. In my current phpBB installation, I picked up a copy of mChat and just began adding my own modifications until it eventually became my own.

Soon, however, I'll be moving away from AJAX solutions because of their overhead. I'll probably look into a more viable HTML5 solution with websockets or 'comet polling'. Flash/Java implementations never seemed to integrate well with my designs.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 PM
TAZ Rookie

Anvil is on a distinguished road
I would say Ajax Chat, though I roughly disabled it and just use as a shoutbox.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Wakka Wakka Wakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
I would say Ajax Chat, though I roughly disabled it and just use as a shoutbox.
Depends on which Ajax Chat your talking about. I use Handyman's, and use it as a shoutbox. I modified all the code myself to add avatars and guest posting, and some other tweaks.

I don't care for separate chat rooms myself. I'd rather the chatting is done on the index page where users can refresh to see new posts.

I think chat rooms in general, distract from the forums. Shoutbox's are a better solution.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
adbrad is a jewel in the rough
i use flashchet on my forum it only costs $5 which is mega cheap or you can get a free version

Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software > phpBB