Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:45 AM
TAZ Rookie

karen is on a distinguished road
Default Backing up my site (vbulletin forum)
Hi all,

complete noob here, don't have much experience at this (i.e. none) but I've recently started my first site.
I'd like to know if anyone can give me step-by-step instructions on how to back it up.
Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 08:18 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Guru
Nightowl is on a distinguished road
The phpmyadmin method:

Quote:
Go to phpMyAdmin in your web broswer and select the database you wish to back up by clicking on the name. If you have multiple databases, you will need to select the name from the drop menu.

In the right-hand frame, you will see a row of links. Click [Export]

Now in the right-hand frame you will see three (3) areas. In the first area, called Export you select the table(s) you wish to back up by selecting them from the list. To select multiple tables, hold the Ctrl key and lick the table names. To select all table, click the [Select All] link.

In the second area, called SQL Options, make sure you have the follwing boxes checked:

Structure
Add 'drop table'
Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
Enclose table and field names with backquotes
Data

In the third area, check Save as file and type a name for the backup in the File name template :.
If your system supports it, you may also choose a compression type. None is selected by default.

Click [Go] and you will be prompted to save the backup on your local computer.
The SSH or Telnet Way:

Quote:
1) SSH or Telnet access to your site. You will need to check with your hosting company to see if this is available.

2) An SSH/Telnet Client, such as PuTTy.

Open your SSH/Telnet client and log into your website. The command line prompt you will see will vary by OS.
For most hosting companies, this will bring you into the FTP root folder.

Type in the following:

mysqldump --opt -Q -u dbusername -p databasename > /path/to/backupname.sql

You will be prompted for the database password. Enter it and the database will backup.

If your hosting company has you on a remote MySQL server, such as mysql.yourhost.com, you will need to add the servername to the command line. The servername will be the same as in your config.php. The command line will be:

mysqldump --opt -Q -h servername -u dbusername -p databasename > /path/to/backupname.sql

You can then, if you wish, download the backup to your home computer.
Generally though:

Maintenance > Database Backup and follow the appropriate options

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started