Increasing Traffic Promotional Techniques To Fill Up Those Member Lists.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:19 PM
TAZ Rookie

SirTalksalot is on a distinguished road
Default What am I doing wrong!
Hi all,

I'm sure I'm not the first person to go off on a rant about their forum not perfoming, but I really am boggled as to what I'm doing wrong. I've bent over backwards to take all sorts of advice from all sorts of people, and tried to refine my site to something which people generally approve of.

I've tirelessly tried to built up a healthy amount of links to my site, I've chopped and changed the forum to make it as accessable as possible. I've tried advertising, viral marketing, everything! And still rarely do all my efforts reward me with even one new member! I have about 8 regular posters, out of 230+ members.

I'm at a loss, I can only think that maybe it's down to the forum software itseld, and that it is somehow holding me back. I do actually want to move to VB, but there is no conversion software available.

So I'm throwing it open to everyone, what am I doing wrong? It's probably right in front of me and I can't see the wood for the trees.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
mojo is on a distinguished road
Well, you can definately do more with vBulletin. If there is not conversion available, I would build an email list of the active members you have, let them know you plan on going to a new software, kill your current forum, and start from scratch.

Open up under vB, add the active users back into your new forum, and go from there. It sucks to start over, but it is best to do it now if you are going to.

Once you get vBulletin up and running, I would look into a few hacks.
  • My first hack would be the Ted S. hack that gives you the welcome headers
  • Second would be the Commbull (community bulletin) so you can send out very cool weekly newsletter that provides perfect links right back into your forums, while at the same time reminding those who have registered to come back.
From there, you can add what you want, or add nothing at all. After that, simply stay very active in your forum, and work on SEO to get ranked for some searched keywords/phrases.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 PM
The Man with the Plan

Admin Experience: Guru
phoenixdown21 is a name known to allphoenixdown21 is a name known to allphoenixdown21 is a name known to allphoenixdown21 is a name known to allphoenixdown21 is a name known to all
Ya know, you seem to have a solid start on a site there and I'm suprised that its not panning out.

Changing software can help but its not the holy grail. You may want to try emailing those users who aren't visiting but have registered to see

- how they found you
- why they registered
- what they liked
- what they didn't like
- etc
Old 01-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Tekno Sorcerer

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Teknomancer is on a distinguished road
230 members and you're doing bad? Hehe, my forum is 3 months old has just 32 members and just 1000+ posts.... It's me that should be ranting Oh and I've pretty much done everything expect paid adverstising as well.

Cheer up
Old 01-11-2006, 05:02 PM
TAZ Rookie

SirTalksalot is on a distinguished road
230 members I may have, but when only 8 of them post, it's not good. I don't think starting again with VB is an option, that would mean every one of my members would have to re-register. That would really reflect how inactive my forum is. I'm really pestering VB's admins to give a YaBB convertor some serious consideration.

I know a lot of my early problems were the forum software, which become obsolete, but the updates have fixed all that. It's odd though, when my forum was a shambles and my site pages looked like they'd been designed by a toddler, I got far more people joining.

Does anyone think the fact that my switching to an American Server could have an effect in any way?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Amaizingnistrator

Admin Experience: Advanced
mightyb is on a distinguished road
If its the forum in your signature i waited for around 20 seconds for it to load and then gave up. Is your server overloaded?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Tazmanian

STS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTalksalot
230 members I may have, but when only 8 of them post, it's not good. I don't think starting again with VB is an option, that would mean every one of my members would have to re-register. That would really reflect how inactive my forum is.
Well, honestly if you have eight strong posters, most likely they will re-register and start over. If the others aren't posting, then opening a new board really shouldn't make a huge difference. In fact, if you do message people with your intentions it might inspire them to come check out the new forum and consider posting again.

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:57 PM
TAZ Regular

techkid is on a distinguished road
Even worse with my board:
Threads: 42, Posts: 94, Members: 24
Open for just over a month and a half. We run vBulletin. I have done everything except paid advertising too.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Amaizingnistrator

mightyb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by techkid
Even worse with my board:
Threads: 42, Posts: 94, Members: 24
Open for just over a month and a half. We run vBulletin. I have done everything except paid advertising too.
Id hire some posters and make them post around 5000 posts to make your forum look active.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Tazmanian

TheAfterglow is on a distinguished road
It's cheaper to get a group of friends and make the 5000 posts yourself.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:10 PM
TAZ Regular

balusbox is on a distinguished road
I always discover new boards when something interesting gets linked from them - one of those posts that gets circulated around the forum sphere. When I build my forum, I'm thinking I'll need to start an interesting post - have a member take some interesting photos or someting unique or funny, and get it circulated around. People want to join a community that has interesting and new content.

Any way you could do something like that? Get something really interesting started...
Old 01-12-2006, 11:24 PM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Beginner
venus is on a distinguished road
I feel the same way. We're going to try TedS' hack and I hope that helps!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:50 AM
TAZ Rookie

unome is on a distinguished road
I Think There is a easy upgrade path from Yabb to SMF wich might be worth a look,
Ive been running SMF on my forum (www.superbikeforums.co.uk) wich I opened in sept 05, and have found it realy impresive

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Increasing Traffic