Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Julia has a spectacular aura about
Default Taking a break
Do you admins ever take a break from your websites/forums?

I'm asking this because I'm just feeling really burned out & taken advantage of. I'm speaking to my friend who funnily enough runs my competition (we call ourselves sister sites), and she's telling me I've got to stop putting my site no. 1. I have two children & a husband & I'm constantly worrying about the site. The children are fine, but my husband is definitely suffering & this does have an impact on our family. She told me I need to take a break, chill out, spend time with my husband & children & start putting my priorities in order. Of course she's right, but how do you do it?

She's told me to have at least a week off. But how do I do it? I have people e-mailing me for updates on listings, I have moderators asking me if something is appropriate. What do you do in this situation? I have 3 admin (one who's been with me since day one & he's not really a decision maker but I know he'd act in my best interests), the other is my friend & competitor who I'd have absolutely no problem handing the site over to but she has enough on her own plate, the third I don't feel has the experience. I just don't feel any of them single handedly could do it, but maybe as a team they could. Am I asking too much? Is the role of an admin one without holidays?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 AM
TampaForums.com

Admin Experience: Guru
Billy is on a distinguished road
Everyone goes through that when you take on large tasks for a while and for your own best interest and the interest of your site you should probably take a step back. To what degree depends on you. You might just need to look less frequently and push some of the issues off to other people, you might just need to unplug and come back fresh.

It happens on our site and it's not even really anything that is spoken about...we can see it happening. Someone starts getting a little irritable, they take a step back and recharge and come back ready to go again.

If you've got those other people as Admins you should be able to trust them to take the brunt of the work for a short time.

I'm a people person...
Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 AM
The Man with the Plan

Admin Experience: Guru
phoenixdown21 is a name known to allphoenixdown21 is a name known to allphoenixdown21 is a name known to allphoenixdown21 is a name known to allphoenixdown21 is a name known to all
We have a good staff and thankfully, if I need to, I can walk away and leave the others in charge of things. For that matter, they take care of everything pretty well on thier own so its less stress on me to begin with.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:43 AM
TAZ Regular

etali is on a distinguished road
I'd say find some moderators that you can trust and ask each one to look after a part of the site for you, and take a break. Don't just put one mod in charge because I think that might cause resentment among the other mods ('why did you put him/her in charge' kinda thing).

You'll probably find you can put more energy into it after you've had some time off, and the site will benefit from it, as well as making you and your husband happy.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Coder/Designer

Admin Experience: Advanced
southernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of lightsouthernlady is a glorious beacon of light
If you went on vacation or ended up in the hospital, who would be in charge...think of it that way and then take it from there. Liz

Old 10-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Tazmanian

The Kingpin is on a distinguished road
I agree with some of the things that have been said here, try and find someone that can take over the day to day running of the site for you and you come back when you are ready. Find another admin to lighten the work load. But make sure they are people they are trusted
Old 10-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Tazmanian

Julia has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the responses. I know I've said it before, but it's really great to come here & have people to talk to who know exactly what it's like to run a site.

I had a bet with my friend last night, if I stay away from the forums for a week she owes me a box of chocolates. I know it sounds trivial, but I gave her my word I'd stay away, and I stand by my word.

I've handed the reins over to my co-admin. He generally stays away from the day to day running of the site. He's got the ability to lead a life outside of the internet. He's been my co-admin from the day the site opened (my current mods have only been moderating for a few months) & I absolutely trust him 200%. I've left a message in the mods forum informing them I'm taking a break & that that anything they need to be discussed should still be discussed & he will make the final call. Generally I tend to discuss matters in the mod's forums & we make a collective decision, although I have final say...so it's the same process, only with him instead of me.

Southernlady: I know what you mean. I haven't had a holiday since the forums started. I have given birth twice & the first time I had a really great co-admin who I considered to be my partner. She was more involved in the day to day running of the site than I was & it was awful when she left. The next time I had a baby I was only away for 2 days.

My friend has really put things into perspective for me. She said her husband & dog are no. 1 & 2 & her site is about 100th on the list of importance. It runs just as well as mine without her constantly checking numerous times a day. I have put the site way before my husband which is just ridiculous because my husband is my number one supporter & he's the one there for me when everybody else is complaining.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Tazmanian

The Kingpin is on a distinguished road
It is good to see that you are having a little break and the fact that you can trust your co-admin. Enjoy yourself.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:27 AM
Tazmanian

Sunny is on a distinguished road
I just took a week's break, and I was slightly disappointed the place didn't fall apart without me :P
Old 10-22-2005, 05:55 AM
TechArena.IN

SaN-DeeP is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixdown21
We have a good staff and thankfully, if I need to, I can walk away and leave the others in charge of things. For that matter, they take care of everything pretty well on thier own so its less stress on me to begin with.
same here.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:27 AM
TAZ Rookie

Gotti is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingpin
I agree with some of the things that have been said here, try and find someone that can take over the day to day running of the site for you and you come back when you are ready. Find another admin to lighten the work load. But make sure they are people they are trusted
Well said kingpin lad

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff