Servers and Hosting Server Issues - Shared, Virtual, and Dedicated Hosting Options.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:25 AM
TAZ Regular

Blake is on a distinguished road
Default Hosting Problems, etc.
So I just got done talking with the folks at Invision Synergy and they want me to move to the next plan up $325 vs. $150/month or to move to a dedicated server. They said that right now I am on a Dual Xeon with 2 GB of memory and it's maxed out with 400-500 users online. So, I tend to think that there could be tweaks made as it was mentioned in other posts that it should be able to support upwards of 800 and 400-500 with no problems whatsoever.

The problem is, the Alias season is ending soon and my forums will quiet down after that and be quite dormant throughout the off-season, so...I'm not really willing to spend $325/month until Season 4 comes and even then...if I have no job, it's kinda pointless do upgrade to that big of a server if I can't pay for it. I've been looking at Servermatrix and I like the Dual Xeon 2.4 for $229/month with 2 GB RAM, but then again, it's only somewhat managed and not customized at all for forum software and I've already been through the hassle of trying to manage a dedicated server.

Just wondering if there's any other options available to me out there or if anyone has any suggestions. When we had our huge crash earlier this year, I almost just closed the forums down completely, but that would have pissed a lot of people off...now, it seems as if the hassle is just too much once again and it's becoming a pain to run a forum this large.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:11 AM
Tazmanian

quentin is a jewel in the rough
do you have looked for / installed the tweaks available for performance on an invision board ? Instead of just upgrading hardware, you could lower the load by tweaking the software a bit.
I'm not very familiar with invision, but i am sure, for example, that not showing the users online list should reduce the load drastically, and im sure your users wouldn't miss it that much. You may want to check out software tweaks available, did you consult invision support ?
Does IPB 1.3 allow for deferred thread views, cron-tasks, disabling of search when the server load is above a certain level ? There are many places in a bbs where you can improve the load by slightly modifying the code without your users being able to notice it. For example by scheduling posts/members counts tasks instead of performing them at every request (on a busy board, scheduling tasks is a great way to lower the server needs). Don't know if you have access to cron however, but i must say i am somehow surprised that you're not on a dedicated server already .

Finally, would you get bored with things, you should not close, at least, sell !

Old 03-31-2004, 12:11 PM
TAZ Regular

I guess all of the scheduled tasks options will come with IPBv.2, so I'll have to wait for those to come out and I know there are ways to improve speed and performance, so I'll probably have to turn some of the CPU saving features on.

I actually was on a dedicated server, but couldn't manage it myself and we were hacked and everything was wiped. But when I moved to Invision Synergy, my main reason was they state on their site that your website can grow as large as you want and they will accommodate you, however, that is not the case and they are working now on updating that page. Apparently, with the "Advanced" level of service, that is true, but not the entry level.

Thanks for the tips - I'm waiting for v.2 to come out and hopefully that will help with load issues considerably.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:34 PM
Beanie and Shades

Admin Experience: Guru
CyanSmoker is on a distinguished road
You also have the option of not going directly through SM but instead a VAR specialized in forums hosting.
I really don't know how to word this without it sounding like a plug...
Old 03-31-2004, 02:19 PM
TAZ Regular

VAR? I'm open to any and all plugs
Old 03-31-2004, 05:41 PM
Mine, not your's

Admin Experience: Advanced
Morning Radio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
VAR= Value Added Reseller. Places like ServerMatrix have resellers that can offer service "above and beyond" what you may get by going direct.

BTW: The SM dual xeons are good, as are the P4 2.8 if you do not need the processing power of the Dual Xeons.
Glenn

Old 04-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Beanie and Shades

Admin Experience: Guru
CyanSmoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Basically, you can get a server tuned to run forums.
As a VAR, I offer that.

Cheers,
-Chris.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Servers and Hosting