Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Increasing Traffic

Increasing Traffic Promotional Techniques To Fill Up Those Member Lists.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Tazmanian

powerstroke is on a distinguished road
Default Competeing sites showing up under my site's name
Just wondering how this was done? I know how the other site did it to the right. He paid for it. but about the third or fourth one is a competing site comes up when doing a google search for my site's name.

I think I need to return the favor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen shot of google search of lawncafe.jpg (36.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 03-27-2004, 03:18 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
Ted S is a jewel in the rough
If your site name is trademarked you can ask Google to drop this advertiser's keyword as according to their TOS. If it is not trademarked then you have a new goal
Old 03-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Tazmanian

Kathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to all
Hmmm....I wonder if they have embedded your brandname into their text?

I have something similar happening...but I'm embarassed to say I haven't been keeping up with search engine stuff and how it works in a while. I googled my domain name and found that many search engine results seem to have my domain name in it with matching text to my own intro to domain. But click on it and it takes you to a page that looks like another search....and its more lines with my domain name but to ebay, affiliates of all sorts....

And its not just a few...but many links like this in google.

He is no fool who would give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose. - J Elliot
Old 03-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Tazmanian

noppid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S
If your site name is trademarked you can ask Google to drop this advertiser's keyword as according to their TOS. If it is not trademarked then you have a new goal
I don't think anyone can edit your keyword list. Even if you want the word Microsoft as a keyword. We're not talking Title or trademark here. We have several trademark words for keywords.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:49 PM
TAZ Regular

mcahill is on a distinguished road
Click the link....it may be that someone has added a link over to your site, in which case it would be a valid google response.
Geek.com - Tech news and community
Old 03-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Tazmanian

powerstroke is on a distinguished road
I looked all over on the site. Nothing.

The one guy that pays to have my name as a keyword is a member here.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Tazmanian

Ted S is a jewel in the rough
Actually Google had been forced to adopt a policy where trademarked names are not allowed in paid ad results if the trademark holder protests the listings. This is visible from all of the hosting wars in which many companies were buying the results for their competition's name, people complained, were asked to show proof and Google dropped the offending terms.

Quote:
Follow Proper Trademark Usage
Trademarks are important business assets that can diminish in value if they are not used correctly. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with our trademark policy and our Trademark Guidelines, which provides some basic information about trademarks and offers specifics on how to properly use the trademarks that belong to Google.
https://adwords.google.com/select/guidelines.html
Old 03-29-2004, 04:09 AM
Tazmanian

quentin is a jewel in the rough
As it has been explained, if yoour site's name is trademarked, you can have it removed from the "adwords-able" words.
If it's not, there's nothing much you can do i guess. It is a technique that is often used to try to get other sites' traffic by showing up in results pages for a search of their name. It is quite amazing the number of people who search for the name of a site instead of directly typing its url, and some sites use this as a promotion technique.

Take for example the case of picture rating sites. Facethejury and Buddypic are two famous ones. Now search for those names:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=facethejuryhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=buddypic
and see the site that ranks 5th and 3rd? They are basically attracting the traffic to these known site to their own similar one by showing up in "their" result pages. And those are regular serps, so even for a trademarked name, i don't think there's much to be done about it (i could be wrong though).

if you look at their sitemap source code at www.ratemybody.com/sitemap.html you will see that they do this for quite a number of other sites, and im pretty sure they get decent traffic from there... While it's not very ethical (since they don't even link to those sites), it's legally correct to do this.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:42 AM
Tazmanian

quentin is a jewel in the rough
as an update on this topic, google recently updated its adwords TOS a little bit.

http://www.google.com/tm_complaint.html

Basically what they say is that they won't take much action in most cases, that it is the responsability of the owner of the trademark to contact the advertiser.

Quote:
As a courtesy to trademark owners, however, we are willing to perform a limited investigation of reasonable complaints
this is blur enough not to be meaningful imho.
They also clearly state that they are not responsible for "trademark hijacking" in the regular SERPs.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Tazmanian

Wayne Luke is a name known to allWayne Luke is a name known to allWayne Luke is a name known to allWayne Luke is a name known to allWayne Luke is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
I have something similar happening...but I'm embarassed to say I haven't been keeping up with search engine stuff and how it works in a while. I googled my domain name and found that many search engine results seem to have my domain name in it with matching text to my own intro to domain. But click on it and it takes you to a page that looks like another search....and its more lines with my domain name but to ebay, affiliates of all sorts....
You should check those results. For the last few months, I have found that an overwhelming number of Google results are either sites with nothing but keyword spam on them or actually little "search engines" with the purpose of doing nothing but showing popups and advertising to make a quick buck.

In my opinion, the overall quality of Google's results is among the worst on the Internet now. Their "improvements" are making my personal work a lot harder because I can no longer find wholesalers for specific products like I used to be able to. Now simply using the word "wholesale" in the search turns up about 300 pages of worthless results. Seriously looking for an alternative search engine.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Tazmanian

Kathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to all
Checking the results and then doing what? Contact Google? I agree. Check out wholesale or anything similar for resale items and you get more searches and junk that takes you to no where except a cycle of pop ups.

He is no fool who would give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose. - J Elliot
Old 04-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Tazmanian

Wayne Luke is a name known to allWayne Luke is a name known to allWayne Luke is a name known to allWayne Luke is a name known to allWayne Luke is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Checking the results and then doing what? Contact Google? I agree. Check out wholesale or anything similar for resale items and you get more searches and junk that takes you to no where except a cycle of pop ups.
Well if they are junk searches merely optimized for your keywords, there is nothing you can do. Google has said these results are the relevant results that they want in several press releases over the last few months.

I think they have lost the way personally and I have lost all faith in the company. First they totally screw legitimate business owners and rip pagerank apart and then they introduce the privacy infiltrating email program -Gmail. Who knows how they will screw the consumer and business owner alike in the future.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Advanced
Kall is just really niceKall is just really nice
The answer to the original question can be summed up in two words: Google Bomb.

All anyone has to do to get right up there in the ratings is to have the word lawncafe (I think that was it, it was a bit small) hyperlinked to their page, on as many crawled pages as possible.

For example, my signature contains the phrase Free Messageboards and Games .. on all the forums I visit. Google sees this phrase in many places, all with the same URL, so it assumes that this URL must relate to this phrase.

It can work to drive specific phrase searches to other sites too...An amusing example of this was when someone I know linked the phrase 'web nazis' to a site. You did a google search for that phrase, you got their site...even tho there was nothing to do with being web nazis on the site....they took the links off once it hit #1, and it took 2 weeks for it to fall back to the third page.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:11 PM
I buy Big/Small forums

Admin Experience: Beginner
GeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud of
I had the same problem. A new message board with my subject obviously had seen my success (We were the first) and decided to use my site name "my domain name without the .com" as a paid google adwords search term. Since they were the only ones stooping this low they were the only ones to show up in that side column all by themselves further enhancing the tactic's effectiveness.

I ignored them but a member of my site who can be a bit umm.. "passionate" about our community went to their boards and flat out asked them why. they later took it down and have since asked to buy our site. I'm not selling but sometimes you just have to laugh at them, and pity them, they'll eventually go away.

Last edited by GeorgeB.; 08-10-2004 at 11:00 AM..
Old 07-26-2004, 12:20 PM
I buy Big/Small forums

Admin Experience: Beginner
GeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud ofGeorgeB. has much to be proud of
Well well well... it appears my old friend is back to his old tricks after all. We'll see how long it takes for them to fall off the map this time.

Last edited by GeorgeB.; 08-10-2004 at 11:00 AM..

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Finance and Traffic > Increasing Traffic