vBulletin Discuss vBulletin.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Curmudgeon

darnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to all
Default What Does EoL Really Mean?
Folks-

I assume that "End of Life" does not mean that all of the code and databases will suddenly cease to exist.

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetJC View Post
I believe vB 3.8.x has EOLed...? There will be no further bug fixes - but there may be security patches released if need be.
That it? It might also mean that one can no longer get questions answered on the official support forum. I think I can live with that.

So, the question then becomes, will 3.8 continue to work with new versions of PHP & MySQL. So, here's what I've heard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
You may run into issues with PHP 5.4 on 3.x but your options are to get them fixed (someone may publish the fixes if they are really necessary) or get a package where you can keep whatever version of PHP you want.
Quote:
For what it's worth I just did a quick install of 3.8.7 on Xampp with PHP 5.4.7. Despite a couple standards warnings it installed fine, and I was able to make posts and use the Admin CP with no visible errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
I think the biggest issue will be a huge number of errors and warnings in the logs (especially on large boards, this would be a big problem)
Quote:
The main thing with 5.5 will be making sure you are setup as mysqli as opposed to mysql in your config.php. You should be on that already but it will be required in PHP 5.5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
Joe, do you know if MySQL 5.5 works with 3.8.7?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
I'm running it, so it should.
So, If I follow all of that, under PhP 5.4, vB 3.8 generated some error messages about "nonstandard code" that can be turned off, but it still works. And under PHP 5.5, you will be required to be using mysqli, but you should be doing that now anyway.

Yes, vB 3.8 is old; yes, the stock templates look a little tired; yes, some of you think IB is the spawn of satan and has destroyed the forum community; yes, I could buy newer and kewler software...none of those things are relevant to my question.

I have a 1968 VW bug. If I bought a newer car, I could get cup holders, a built-in DVD player, onStar, and a bunch of kewl stuff that I neither want nor need.—and, if I did want some of that stuff, I could get it as a thrid-party add-on. If I have to replace the transmission or rebuild the engine, I can do that—I don't have to replace the whole car.

I feel the same way about vB 3.8—it does all the things that I require of it, I just want to know how hard its going to be to keep it running.

--don
Old 03-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Apocalypse Admin

Admin Experience: Advanced
LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
End Of Life means it's no longer viable to keep supporting. It doesnt necessarily mean its completely unsupported, just that general support has moved past that version and the first fix to any issue you face will be to upgrade to a more recent, supported version and see if your problem was fixed.
You could alternatively go with a 'management' company which can include support for vb versions obsoleted by vBS, if you dont wish to upgrade.

Getting back to the car analogy, manufacturers can EOL old car makes and no longer produce or store compatible parts, but garages specifically offering support for old makes or counting owners of those as a significant chunk of their customerbase can keep offering that support unofficially.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM
#Awesome

Admin Experience: Advanced
BirdOPrey5 is a splendid one to beholdBirdOPrey5 is a splendid one to beholdBirdOPrey5 is a splendid one to beholdBirdOPrey5 is a splendid one to beholdBirdOPrey5 is a splendid one to beholdBirdOPrey5 is a splendid one to beholdBirdOPrey5 is a splendid one to behold
You can still get support for VB 3.x, both on the forums and in tickets as well.

EOL means no new features or bug fixes. Security patches are possible but only for 3.8.7.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Curmudgeon

darnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to alldarnoldy is a name known to all
Thanks, folks!

Seems like, I ought to be able to keep a vB 3.8 forum running for a couple more years, maybe longer (depending on what happens with PHP 5.5).

If I don't need any of the features that 4.X has that 3.8 doesn't, then there would be no advantage to converting to 4 at this point, because I'd still have the same issues and life-expectancy.

Do you concur?

--don
Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Cable Forum Admin

Admin Experience: Guru
Paul M is a name known to allPaul M is a name known to allPaul M is a name known to allPaul M is a name known to allPaul M is a name known to all
Quote:
Security patches are possible but only for 3.8.7.
In most cases it would not be hard to port such fixes back to older versions either. Somoene would almost certainly post details.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 PM
TAZ Rookie

RunCompanies will become famous soon enough
Let's hope v3 will last for many, many more years to come..

Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software > vBulletin