Members & Staff Managing Members and Staff - Building Community Spirit.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:50 AM
TAZ Regular

Admin Experience: Advanced
Astrid is on a distinguished road
Default Kewl Talk
I was wondering if anyone else has problems with this. On one of our sites the members use it constantly, although its against our rules, as it gets that bad that you can't read what they are saying.

I've lost count of the amount of threads and thread titles that i've had to edit because of this and given countless warnings on it. Are there any suggestions on a new way to tackle this or am I just being too harsh? Its a big pet peeve of mine, I don't see why it needs to be used, it does not take long to type out a sentence.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Administrator

The Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond reputeThe Sandman has a reputation beyond repute
You could spend some time with the Replacement Variable Manager assigning the most commonly used "kewl words" their English equivalents...
Old 02-19-2004, 10:04 AM
<nothing/>

dune is on a distinguished road
Heh, or "censor" them completely.

"kewl" = "****"
Old 02-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Guru
Kathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to allKathy is a name known to all
I know many forums don't allow it and after a warning or two if the member continues is banned or sent to "coventry" on a global ignore.

In my opinion, I think if a person is going to write something out, they need to spell it appropriately and communicate in a manner that is appropriate to the forums. Grammar and punctuation is appropriate.

Of course there are forums out there that are 13 year old kewl kiddies who talk that way and even turn in papers at school written in that "language".

He is no fool who would give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose. - J Elliot
Old 02-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Tazmanian

AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
I have to admit to using "kewl" as opposed to "cool" on occasion and I'm not 13 LOL .. it's an after-effect of spending many years in aol chatrooms.... using abbreviations and variations on spelling.

I feel that so long as I can understand what someone is saying, it doesn't really bother me how it's spelt
Old 02-19-2004, 11:50 AM
TAZ Regular

Antiarc is on a distinguished road
Generally, our community is so well-written that they skewer anyone who diverges heavily into "kewl" or "l33t" syntax. It's...rather nice at times. The grammar Nazi in me approves.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:23 PM

Ogden2k has a spectacular aura about
I don't mind as long as I can understand it w/o re-reading it. Once in awhile I get some people that talk with that urban ebonics type language. That's hard to understand.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Tazmanian

JustAskJulie will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiarc
Generally, our community is so well-written that they skewer anyone who diverges heavily into "kewl" or "l33t" syntax. It's...rather nice at times. The grammar Nazi in me approves.
Mine is that way as well. I can't say we've ever had to deal with someone using an overabundance of internet shorthand.... but every once in a while we get someone who just can't spell or has not idea what a punctuation mark is. When that happens, after about their second or third post, someone will invariably start a thread on the importance of good grammar and spelling when communicating with others. They don't go so far as to expect perfect grammar or spelling but they go far enough that more often than not they scare away those few people who just can't spell.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Saved By Grace

Ada is on a distinguished road
A lot f r membrs lyk 2 typ lyk dis. It gets on some people's nerves -- mine included -- but since there are so many members posting that way, we can't really do anything about it. They write that way because texting [or SMS messaging] is really big here in Manila. I can understand their wanting to use abbreviations when texting due to the limited number of characters per text but what I don't get is why they also do it online when the number of characters doesn't count. Makes me wonder if they submit school papers using SMS language.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Tazmanian

AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
A lot f r membrs lyk 2 typ lyk dis.

Well, that would drive me insane lol....unintentional bad spelling and the odd abbreviation like "kewl" or "thru" and "tho" etc doesn't bother me, but yeah, that is irritating
Old 02-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Tazmanian

FansofRealityTV has a spectacular aura about
We absolutely do not allow "lingo" on our site. We have it clearly stated in the registration agreement, in our rules, and our mods send them a PM the first time we see them post using it. If they continue to use it, we will ban them for 3 days and remove any posts where they've used it. If they do it again, they're gone permanently. Our users REALLY like that about our site.

And I can guarantee, with 100% accuracy, that anyone on our site who signs up from New Zealand will use Lingo and get banned. It's a certainty, and I have no earthly idea why.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:24 PM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ada
I can understand their wanting to use abbreviations when texting due to the limited number of characters per text but what I don't get is why they also do it online when the number of characters doesn't count.
Thats my argument, I even use it in text for those reasons and even in my lecture notes, basically because there isn't enough time to write the full thing down and I always type my notes up later. Anyway, that aside. I'm pleased to see that its not just me, I was starting to feel like I was being to nazi like about it. Its the one thing that will surely get my blood boiling.

After I posted this thread today, I went back onto the boards and there was one member who was using it all over the boards, in thread titles and in posts. I gave them a warning, explained why it was against the rules. They went on to do it again, several times. I sent them a second message, in my book they get a third one and then instead of editing their posts I simply delete them. Which they are informed of in the third warning. I then got a reply from this girl, using really bad kewl talk may I add saying that she was dislexic. My first thought is not to believe her but thats the cynic in me. The amount of excuses i've heard in my time.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Tazmanian

FansofRealityTV has a spectacular aura about
I once banned "Stacy", my favorite member, for refusing to stop using lingo. I got an e-mail asking why she was banned, so I explained it. Here's what I got in response (this was my signature on my site for a little while - and editing of swear words is done by me):

Quote:
then like i said ur a rude ass b*tch and i'm reporting u for that and soon ur site well be down... how would u like that?
and no what i said was an opion..... just like others.... and spelling it u or you and ur and your doesn't f*ing matter its the same damn word...... u are no oneces boss and u can't tell them wha they can and can't say. so say goodbye to ur lil site...........
I laughed about that one for several days. It still gives me a little chuckle.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:50 PM
TAZ Regular

And no wonder. Do you not find that the angrier they get the worse the spelling gets?
Old 02-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Charming

Vilandra will become famous soon enough
LMAO how did I know you started this thread? I've nvr seen kewl talk bother ne1 mor than her...

But it is annoying when its out of hand and I can't even figure it out - our argument against it is that we have a large non-English as a first language speaking community and it is even harder for them to understand in kewl talk. Then there's the threads in French on our site using French kewl talk - try and figure those out using high school French lol

FansofRealityTv - I think we had your Stacy member on one of our boards lol. She made up some story about having a site that was mentioned on a cable show. And then when she got called on it, she sent us these emails or pms I forget which saying how her dad was a lawyer and they were going to sue us for defamation of character or something. lol
Old 02-20-2004, 12:17 AM
TAZ Rookie

Mattfast1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ada
Makes me wonder if they submit school papers using SMS language.
Actually, as a student assistant at my school (I know, go ahead and laugh), I have actually seen people turn in papers typed lk ts. is kewl! i h8 u bc u hv fn tpg lk ts.

Naturally, they failed.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:03 AM
TAZ Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilandra
LMAO how did I know you started this thread? I've nvr seen kewl talk bother ne1 mor than her...
You just had to do it didn't you!

I remember that girl your talking about Vil, why is it that I always seem to get the lawsuits, guess my law degree comes in handy
Old 02-20-2004, 02:11 AM
TAZ Regular

Wired is on a distinguished road
For the most part, the sites I help take care of have members who don't do that. However, we occasionally get posts without punctuation and/or don't post enough info about their problem. Some get the hints, some don't. Usually the ones who don't use punctuation only post a handfull of times.

Got a good dyslexic story for ya. Here's an actual post from dyslexicduncan (actual user name):
(BTW his bio has in it: Dyslexic adult struggling to access websites) ... riiiighhhtt.....
Quote:
Hello,

I am a komputer User with sever dyslexia anfd I am posting here to try and encurage all of you developer folks to make your websites accessible to me. At the momment I find dificultie reading and riting and this makes it dificult to access the web. For years I had to use other software I have on my komputer to read websites but I have just found a peice of software that could really help me.

Speech enabling the sites wuld alow peopel like me to have easy acess to websites and a product like this has been reviewed recently in a magazine I read (slowly!). The software I recomend to you is called <****> and can be downloaded for free from the companies website. Plees note this is not an advert or anythin like that. I just want you to no how usefull this culd be for people who find it dificult to reed.

Also as a dyslexic sufferr I no that new legislaton is coming that will make the provison of info to people like me a legal reqirement. So it may be worth lookin into now!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope that someday soon I will be abel to taek advanteg of the internet like everyone else, please keep people like me in mind when devloping new sites

Duncan.

p.s you can find the <****> plugin at www.<****> please check it out.
Now for anyone who's familiar with dyslexia, they'd see that this guy isn't dyslexic, just a horrible speller. It sounded... odd... so I started to dig. BTW, this post was on WDF, and within the mods I'm known as being very thorough when collecting info to base a ban on, when it's not an obvious banning offense. You'll see why

I did some digging, and posted this to the mod section:
Note: xxx.yyy.zzz is the same everywhere in the next portion.
Quote:
Our dyslexic friend, "Duncan". If he's severely dyslexic, his post would be a bit different. But let's say he's overcome it, fine.

<****> resolves to xxx.yyy.zzz.23
http://www.samspade.org/t/lookat?a=<****>

HIS IP: xxx.yyy.zzz.2
http://www.samspade.org/t/lookat?a=xxx.yyy.zzz.2

Sad to say, but it may be a crafty advertiser.

Oh, but wait... both IPs are registered to <xxx.rrrr.com>. <www.rrrr.com> IS <****>
Needless to say, we agreed to ban this faker. Funny thing is, I just checked and we never did! 3 days after signing up on the site he stopped coming, and he only posted in the thread containing that top post.

www.samspade.org is your friend Time to ban a poster!

Surprisingly, on all of the sites in my sig, we usually don't get 1337 speak, even though they're all tech forums in one way or another.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:29 AM
Tazmanian Gremlin

wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
If I were in that position, I would just close the thread and tell them to type properly in future and leave the "text speak" to SMS.

Then put an announcement up saying that any future threads started with "text speak" will be closed without warning.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Members & Staff