Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 PM
shiny happy pantless

Admin Experience: Intermediate
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does advertising work if you don't have content?
Just curious what you guys think.

Possible to create a buzz.. lol about nothing?

gogo
Old 05-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoblender View Post

gogo
It works getting people to the website. But as soon as they get there and see there is nothing to the website, they bounce. I wouldn't advertise unless you had lots of content.

Greg
Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Tazmanian

Judge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud of
Gogo, you show me a really good point of view with this post. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Severe Weather Spotter

Admin Experience: Guru
Shawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

gogo
Actually, yes!!! I started a social network about a year ago. It had like 8 members and not a lot of content. I paid $25 for some radio advertising (online radio related to the niche) and I got 150 new members (real members) in about an hour, it crashed the server LOL that was back in my VPS days, nowa days my dedi can take a lot haha but anyways, if the forum/site is UNIQUE enough, advertising may get it going without having to worry about content.

If there is active competition present, don't waste your money until you are bigger and better

My Forums
Blogging Friends - A forum for bloggers specifically.
National Skywarn - Skywarn Storm Spotters Forum.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Tazmanian

Panupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud ofPanupat has much to be proud of
I imagine the ads would get people on your site. But without content, they won't stick long. You also lost the opportunity to give them a good first impression.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Apocalypse Admin

Admin Experience: Advanced
LeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond reputeLeadCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Sure, you can force visitors to check your site out (by force if desired), but if the first impression they get is negative, you pretty much wasted your money of a useless campaign whose only success could possibly be generating negative buzz. Campaigns should always feed growing momentum, not kill it.
People are not too forgiving of mistakes even after correction, and blame for the lack of content would still remain in visitors' memory.

But back at op again..
Quote:
Absolutely.
Could you have been referring to trivia funnel sites, whose purpose is to essentially be shared around in place of meaningful communications on social networks/twitter? These lend themselves very well to buzz.

(Non-Stop Nyan cat is one such, very original)

Last edited by LeadCrow; 05-06-2012 at 03:20 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Tazmanian

IFC is just really niceIFC is just really nice
My forum gets about 80% of my traffic but my non-forum content earns about 95% of my ad revenue.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Tazmanian Gremlin

Admin Experience: Guru
wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
You could create a buzz about nothing years ago, now people and google want to see content. I wouldn't visit a site with no content.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Tazmanian

T3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of lightT3chn0 is a glorious beacon of light
Traffic might come back if you have a newsletter sign-up or at least have some brief content that's hyping it up otherwise, poor or too little content will probably be very ineffective IMO.

A generic coming soon falls into the ineffective category as well.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Tazmanian

BananaQueen is a jewel in the rough
no, i dont think so in terms of a forum.

most of the time when someone starts a forum with no content at all, or only a tiny amount of threads, nomatter how much they advertise, people dont post. seeing "this forum has no posts" is offputting, and a lot of people might not want to bother posting new threads on a forum without any posts, because who would reply to it?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
TAZ Regular

01Aaron is on a distinguished road
Without content, the members will leave.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Offwalker!

GeeOne is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

gogo
It may help to bring the people at site.

G!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:10 PM
shiny happy pantless

gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1974uk View Post
You could create a buzz about nothing years ago, now people and google want to see content. I wouldn't visit a site with no content.

Me too

gogo
Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 AM

meetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud of
Sometimes basic content (really impressive) and regular updates can keep the members coming back.

Like our : Facebook Page | Twitter : @Latestgiveaway
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 AM
shiny happy pantless

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetdilip View Post
Sometimes basic content (really impressive) and regular updates can keep the members coming back.
Yes
Organic is a slowly, unassailable build up, that eventually seeps into all corners of the net naturally.

The marketing way, gives you a massive spike, but no return customers and poor revenue performance down the line.

Course...if you have loads of content and a touch of marketing, I would think you've got it made.

gogo
Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 AM

meetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud ofmeetdilip has much to be proud of
Yep, I agree on that, Organic search is very important. But I have seen some guys really make it active even with limited content. An active admin can do a lot.

Like our : Facebook Page | Twitter : @Latestgiveaway
Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 AM
shiny happy pantless

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetdilip View Post
Yep, I agree on that, Organic search is very important. But I have seen some guys really make it active even with limited content. An active admin can do a lot.

Making it active with limited content results in... good content
You and I are certainly on the same page for this... we believe an active admin can do a lot.
They can create interest in sites, write articles and be a good bartender.

Stuff that makes people wanna hang out.

gogo
Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 AM
TAZ Rookie

Jubal_Barca is on a distinguished road
My site has a lot of content and good content generators but limited activity, so we should possibly think about advertising... Hm.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM
shiny happy pantless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal_Barca View Post
My site has a lot of content and good content generators

It does
the thing now is about relevancy
If you're looking to build revenue, is there interest in what you got to net you advertising dollars?
Is the content you have interesting to a large number of today's consumer/readers?

Or...can you create interest in what you've got by showing how your content can be a fun part of our daily breakfast.

gogo
Old 07-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Tazmanian

bucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to allbucket is a name known to all
I sold a nice forum domain in late 2011. the guy got his forum all set up and a few people joined. he then started a contest for members. the prize was an on-topic $500 item. members had to 'like' his facebook page or link to the forum on their blogs/websites. (and post in the contest thread to enter and confirm their link or like). winner determined randomly.

IIRC, he got 4,000 new members during the six-week contest. I just checked, and he now has 24,000 members with 600,000+ posts.

advertising worked for him.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started