Getting Started Discussions about Planning an Online Community - Privacy Policies - Terms of Service - Targeting Niche - Demographics.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM
TAZ Rookie

Acrodox is a jewel in the rough
Default Need members badly...
I honestly cant find out what im doing wrong. Can someone tell me how to get alot of people to join and post in my forums. I get alot to visit the site. But no one signs up. http://forgesoft.org

is it my theme maybe?
Im not sure ive read alot of topics here and have done alot of tips in the past and I cant seem to get anyone to join.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Soulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to allSoulwatcher is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrodox View Post
I honestly cant find out what im doing wrong. Can someone tell me how to get alot of people to join and post in my forums. I get alot to visit the site. But no one signs up. http://forgesoft.org

is it my theme maybe?
Im not sure ive read alot of topics here and have done alot of tips in the past and I cant seem to get anyone to join.
Starting a new forum and getting it to take off has worse odds then hitting the lotto. If you truly want to run a forum try post exchanges with other websites and dont give up. Sooner or latter people will join, but maybe not in the numbers your after.

Greg
Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 PM
shiny happy pantless

Admin Experience: Intermediate
gogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond reputegogoblender has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

is it my theme maybe?

Hi Acrodox, welcome to Taz!
I'm sure we can help.
First question:
Why did you start your forum, what is your niche that you are creating or a part of?

gogo
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Severe Weather Spotter

Admin Experience: Guru
Shawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to behold
Arrow
Quote:

is it my theme maybe?
There isn't anything on the forum worth joining over... Now before you get irate and hate me you need to put yourself in the shoes of your niche visitors. There are other forums like yours with way more activity for people to join and post on. This means you need to get to work, and work HARD on posting new topics and posting content that you yourself would die to reply to and must register so you can reply to it

Google, Post Loop, that place is a great way to get members but you will either need to post on other forums to get points OR do what I do and purchase points (because I am lazy, lol).

Also, I'd suggest making a better logo and doing some custom work to the theme, atm, its not that eye catching and a bit dull...

Now don't be discouraged by my words, I am just being honest with you from the get go so that you know what is wrong If you work hard enough, running a forum will be a very nice experience for you

My Forums
Blogging Friends - A forum for bloggers specifically.
National Skywarn - Skywarn Storm Spotters Forum.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Tazmanian

NerdForum is just really niceNerdForum is just really nice
The theme looks a bit dull, but the real thing is you need more content.

It also wouldn't hurt to try and advertise every chance you get as well.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Intermediate
Judge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud ofJudge Dredd has much to be proud of
You need to be able to answer the question: (from a member's point of view) Why should I join this forum over another?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Gossman View Post
There isn't anything on the forum worth joining over... Now before you get irate and hate me you need to put yourself in the shoes of your niche visitors. There are other forums like yours with way more activity for people to join and post on. This means you need to get to work, and work HARD on posting new topics and posting content that you yourself would die to reply to and must register so you can reply to it

Google, Post Loop, that place is a great way to get members but you will either need to post on other forums to get points OR do what I do and purchase points (because I am lazy, lol).

Also, I'd suggest making a better logo and doing some custom work to the theme, atm, its not that eye catching and a bit dull...

Now don't be discouraged by my words, I am just being honest with you from the get go so that you know what is wrong If you work hard enough, running a forum will be a very nice experience for you

Never apologize to get to the point with me. "A successful man builds a house from the bricks thrown at him." I understand each and every word you said. Im actually getting a professional EYE-gasm theme tonight. Its from designer-studio and its there newest premium theme, and im getting it free. Aside from that, content wise I have NO clue what to post... along the lines of "OMG I HAVE TO POST IN THIS". Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Severe Weather Spotter

Shawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to behold
Research your competition, looks at topics that are widely talked about and then write them on your forum except in your OWN words and add something to them to make them more unique

DzinerStudios is a great choice, I use them myself and am a club member. ARG completely customized a DZ theme for my admin forum and its very unique, makes the dull themes of SMF look really nice

My forum is less than a year old, I am nearing 30,000 posts but that is because I posted 5 to 10 new topics in each niche board for the first few months, that is a good way to get the forum established quickly! Its funny because I am starting to build a better admin forum name than all the guys who buy out forums and merge them for stats :P Everything on my forum is natural, haha.

I am even about to hit 10,000 posts just for my post stats and that is amazing!

My Forums
Blogging Friends - A forum for bloggers specifically.
National Skywarn - Skywarn Storm Spotters Forum.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 AM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Gossman View Post
Research your competition, looks at topics that are widely talked about and then write them on your forum except in your OWN words and add something to them to make them more unique

DzinerStudios is a great choice, I use them myself and am a club member. ARG completely customized a DZ theme for my admin forum and its very unique, makes the dull themes of SMF look really nice

My forum is less than a year old, I am nearing 30,000 posts but that is because I posted 5 to 10 new topics in each niche board for the first few months, that is a good way to get the forum established quickly! Its funny because I am starting to build a better admin forum name than all the guys who buy out forums and merge them for stats :P Everything on my forum is natural, haha.

I am even about to hit 10,000 posts just for my post stats and that is amazing!
Ill be sure to take your advice into account man. Thanks and best of luck to you!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 AM
TAZ Rookie

tommygun is on a distinguished road
What is your genre/area? Mine for example are games. What I did first was I started a server, built up the population and then eventually I started a forum which I advertised on the server. From there going forwards was pretty easy you just have to build the successful base product first...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
TAZ Rookie

JanusX is on a distinguished road
I need members too, but it's because I'm not good at making a lot of posts o.o
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Tazmanian Gremlin

wizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of lightwizard1974uk is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanusX View Post
I need members too, but it's because I'm not good at making a lot of posts o.o
In that case, you're going to have to learn to make a lot of posts. If it's seen that an admin isn't making many posts. Potential members will think that you're not really that interested or serious about your community.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Getting Started