Go Back   Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software > phpBB

phpBB Discuss phpBB.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Intermediate
MjrNuT is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Troubleshooting this Site Setup - phpbb+MediaWiki+Gallery2
Hello folks,

I have a unique situation or maybe I think it is as I have been out of managing a site for some time now, and therefore this thread might not be in the right spot, so I apologize in advance. Please move this thread to a more appropriate section that would garner more (hopefully) assistance upon reading this. The only reason putting this here in phpbb section is b/c the main interaction of the members is that script. So this is not to assume that phpbb is the problem.

1. I'm not the owner of this site and have volunteered to help "improve" it. Improve it by access, which I'll explain.

2. I have access to the source files and control panel.

3. Host: GoDaddy; 2GH hosting account (shared) type

4. Scripts: phpbb, Mediawiki, Gallery2. I am unsure of the exact version. The "home" is directed to wiki and primary script is phpbb forums. I have some Gallery2 experience.

5. All 3 scripts use separate mysql dbs. I do not have access to these currently.

6. There are cron jobs for backing things up, but the details are not available to me at this time.

This is a 4x4 Vehicle Club and has been around since like 2002.

Quote:
The forum stats are: Total posts 62993 • Total topics 3984 • Total members 286

I've only been involved for the last 8 months...and have been so frustrated with the site access, along with others. The current admin inherited the site and duties, but has not background/interest in "fixing" or addressing due to lack of knowledge. He'll ping the host and the typical host response is: it works fine for us. The creator of the site is present, but his time is extremely limited and admittedly put the site together quite well (at the time). I was able to speak with both parties and they welcomed a fresh set of eyes and effort.

Primary problem: Site times out with 500 Internal Server Error

Quote:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
This will happen intermittently, like within minutes, to hours, to days. Currently, it's been more persistent. The impact is that people in the club are communicating for trail runs and gatherings, which have taken people up to 45 minutes of constant trying.

As of last night, I peeked in to at least look at the error_logs (had to turn on and then download to view), something I suggested long ago. In any event some logs occurred for a couple misc missing files like favicon, robots.txt, and missing.html. I put those in just to see what the change was and log entry for them ended.

Alot of log entry such as the following:

Script timed out before returning headers: viewtopic.php
Script timed out before returning headers: index.php

I'd like to know how I might troubleshoot this better? Feel free to hit me up with questions for further information. Again, I've been out of the loop for this stuff for a good 3 years, so my terminology is probably lacking. My aim is to at least determine what is causing the "time out" or whatever the root cause is on the client side before looking to see if its something host side. I don't have enough information yet that I'd believe its the host.

Thanks for checkng my problem and welcome and better directions.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Tazmanian

rusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to all
Can you mention the site name? or a link?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty105 View Post
Can you mention the site name? or a link?
I feel I need to keep it private as I'm dealing with some..... "we've dealt with this just fine for the last year or so, it will get fast soon enough" type of thinking.

Kind of like... "don't touch or it'll break". Does that make any sense?

I'll PM you if that is acceptable.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM
TAZ Rookie

I'll do it this way - Site URL

Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Tazmanian

rusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to allrusty105 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjrNuT View Post
I feel I need to keep it private as I'm dealing with some..... "we've dealt with this just fine for the last year or so, it will get fast soon enough" type of thinking.

Kind of like... "don't touch or it'll break". Does that make any sense?

I'll PM you if that is acceptable.
I understand, you can PM if you want
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
I'll do it this way - Site URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty105 View Post
I understand, you can PM if you want
Not able to PM to you after all. Thanks for any insight from yourself or others.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Tazmanian

Something is sure slowing down the site. One second pages load decently, the next they crash. What hosting plan are you on.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM
TAZ Rookie

It appears to be 2GH Classic, which does not seem to be available now. 4GH is now the offering.

I think I'd like to maybe begin disabling script(s).

Only change in the last few months that I'm aware of was the addition of TapaTalk. The access issues were present before and after.

The wiki side has separate accounts and mysql.

The forums and gallery2 do have separate mysql dbs, but there is an integration plugin (I think on the gallery2 side) that allows single account for both scripts.

Any suggestion on disabling a script at a time? what order?

I was thinking of doing G2 first by just changing the foldername (e.g,. /html/_g2folder).

Something more prudent is welcomed as I'm kind of flailing at the moment.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM
TAZ Rookie

Hi,

The site response seems to have picked up in speed through the night and into this morning. Now back to 500 Internal Server Error.

I haven't disabling anything. I've been trying to research any other similar conditions like php memory limit, execution time, or related. This would be managed by php.ini and/or .htacess files. Seems those configs are host dependent.

Any thoughts or am in left field?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Hi,

The site response seems to have picked up in speed through the night and into this morning. Now back to 500 Internal Server Error.

I haven't disabling anything. I've been trying to research any other similar conditions like php memory limit, execution time, or related. This would be managed by php.ini and/or .htacess files. Seems those configs are host dependent.

Any thoughts or am in left field?

Thanks
I was surfing the site last night and experienced what you did. it worked fine for a while, then 500 errors.

It looks like the hosting plan you have is a shared plan with probably 100s of sites on there. Do you have cpanel access for the site? Can you check what the server loading is like? Might have to have your host move you to a different server, or find the site that is hogging the resources.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM
TAZ Rookie

I'm in agreement regarding the shared type of plan etc. I do have access to their type of access panel. I can see something called "system processes", which just tells me "apparent" cpu usage = 0.02.

I've avoided GoDaddy in all my hosting time for reasons of poor transparency and this seems to exemplify it.

This site is not feature rich...right? It's not fancy, it has low member activity, like in the 15-20 range (but all spread out). Meaning not at one time. Maybe 4-5 max online simultaneously. The only script that is questionable to me (based on my experience with it) is the Gallery2. It kind of sucks the life out of things at a certain size.

I'd definitely would like to move the whole thing.

Thanks for hanging around rusty.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Tazmanian

whocky has a spectacular aura about
Hi MjrNuT

The server error 500 is an apache error so yes it is the godaddy hosting. Have you contacted godaddy? if so and they have done nothing, it's time to do a run and jump onto another provider.

Honestly, Godaddy are good ( excellent infact ) for domain names, but hosting.. well they are just pointless.

Im guessinig that something is using the resouces up that apache needs, and just think that there is that many websites on this server that the server cant handle it.

I will also bet that the error has nothing to do with the your website.

Steve
Old 05-05-2012, 03:37 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Guru
Cerrdor is on a distinguished road
Most users ever online was 38 on Oct 02 2007 08:15 am

there is sometimes an issue with one of the php files making too many calls to other pages and causing it to tie up resources. It may be the php issue or might be a DoS attack on the board from some butthurt ranger, I would suggest checking the database logs / php logs to determine if it is a DoS / DDoS
or the php issue. If you can post the phpBB version I can look into it and see if its one of the php files there are a few known issues with phpBB causeing 505's one thing is did someone recently upgrade the board to a newer version? That is a known bug in phpBB. Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocky View Post
Hi MjrNuT

The server error 500 is an apache error so yes it is the godaddy hosting. Have you contacted godaddy? if so and they have done nothing, it's time to do a run and jump onto another provider.

Honestly, Godaddy are good ( excellent infact ) for domain names, but hosting.. well they are just pointless.

Im guessinig that something is using the resouces up that apache needs, and just think that there is that many websites on this server that the server cant handle it.

I will also bet that the error has nothing to do with the your website.

Steve
I have not contacted GoDaddy myself, however, I have urged it in the past with the current admin. The response from GoDaddy (as I had expected) was:

Quote:
Thank you for your response. During our review of your account, we did not see any issue with the operational status of your hosting account and your site appears to be setup and accessible without issue. We tested the connectivity of your website both through our normal internet connection as well as with an outside connection and did not experience any issues navigating your website.
Call it crazy, but if you haven't seen my earlier post, I'm dealing with this kind of thought process.

The powers at be apparently have been content, but its now getting other members to break out the pitch forks. So, I'd really like to be able to show proof of the root cause. Is that even possible?

I use GoDaddy for domains only, just as you say, and in agreement with your input.

Much much appreciated for your time.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:47 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerrdor View Post
Most users ever online was 38 on Oct 02 2007 08:15 am

there is sometimes an issue with one of the php files making too many calls to other pages and causing it to tie up resources. It may be the php issue or might be a DoS attack on the board from some butthurt ranger, I would suggest checking the database logs / php logs to determine if it is a DoS / DDoS
or the php issue. If you can post the phpBB version I can look into it and see if its one of the php files there are a few known issues with phpBB causeing 505's one thing is did someone recently upgrade the board to a newer version? That is a known bug in phpBB. Hope that helps a little.
To my knowledge, this type of site response has been ongoing for up to 3 years depending on who I talk to. The people that have come and gone are by no means any type of DoS/DDoS capability or I should say very very low probability. Just the way this club is, which is different from a "traditional" online community. We meet 1/month and go on offroad runs monthly and sometimes weekly basis.

I can provide apache logs and error logs. The former is pure greek to me and the latter is very simplified.

I have not been able to determine the version of phpbb. I've never administered it. I'm pretty confident no update as the "if it ain't broke, then don't touch it" type of maintenance is in play.

Tell me how to check version and update.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 PM
TAZ Rookie

Admin Experience: Guru
Cerrdor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have not been able to determine the version of phpbb. I've never administered it. I'm pretty confident no update as the "if it ain't broke, then don't touch it" type of maintenance is in play.

Tell me how to check version and update.

Thanks
Here is the link to "How to upgrade phpBB"

Upgrade phpBB to newest version.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerrdor View Post
Here is the link to "How to upgrade phpBB"

Upgrade phpBB to newest version.
You've misunderstood my response.

I don't know the exact version of the script, nor if it has been updated.

I didn't ask HOW to perform an update.

I've administered vB 3.8x for 3+ years. I've never run phpbb for various reasons.

In any event, the site's response seems to have improved, however, it's unclear if anything I've done is attributed to it.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Tazmanian

salem is a glorious beacon of lightsalem is a glorious beacon of lightsalem is a glorious beacon of light
The version can be checked in the ACP front page (General) with a angry looking red banner showing upgrading is required, that could be fooled by running a more recent upgrader without renewing the files so check again by running version check (ACP/System) .

If you currently don't have access to the Board ACP then in the website CP
check styles/prosilver/style.cfg , its version number is shown at the bottom .
As prosilver is normally automatically updated along with the board version this should give you an fairly accurate guide .
Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 PM
TAZ Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem View Post
The version can be checked in the ACP front page (General) with a angry looking red banner showing upgrading is required, that could be fooled by running a more recent upgrader without renewing the files so check again by running version check (ACP/System) .

If you currently don't have access to the Board ACP then in the website CP
check styles/prosilver/style.cfg , its version number is shown at the bottom .
As prosilver is normally automatically updated along with the board version this should give you an fairly accurate guide .
Much appreciated Salem. I'm able to obtain the version via the latter option, v3.0.2.

Will go check out the home of phpbb to see where we are.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Much appreciated Salem. I'm able to obtain the version via the latter option, v3.0.2.

Will go check out the home of phpbb to see where we are.

We are at 3.0.10, several security updates since 3.0.2

Admin Zone Forums > The Software Zone > Forum Software > phpBB