Old 05-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Severe Weather Spotter

Admin Experience: Guru
Shawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to beholdShawn Gossman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerrdor View Post
Maybe I am not fully understanding the situation but it appears his posts were proving the desired result (ie getting others to respond and be more active [good for SEO]) and obviously the length was ok...ish because now your worried about his posts being shortened and not lengthened? Im just wondering maybe someone else fit it better but that should have been the answer to his questions and not the length is not good enough (thats what she said ) since obviously he WAS producing the desired result SEO and your responses to him were somewhat ambiguous his response was childish to say the least but you were not forthright with him either. So both parties are at fault maybe a month ban on him and yourself? :P
OT: Nice to see a fellow traveling man on TAZ

*Herrin Prairie Lodge #693

My Forums
Blogging Friends - A forum for bloggers specifically.
National Skywarn - Skywarn Storm Spotters Forum.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Tazmanian

Admin Experience: Beginner
Ram8349 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerrdor View Post
Maybe I am not fully understanding the situation but it appears his posts were proving the desired result (ie getting others to respond and be more active [good for SEO]) and obviously the length was ok...ish because now your worried about his posts being shortened and not lengthened? Im just wondering maybe someone else fit it better but that should have been the answer to his questions and not the length is not good enough (thats what she said ) since obviously he WAS producing the desired result SEO and your responses to him were somewhat ambiguous his response was childish to say the least but you were not forthright with him either. So both parties are at fault maybe a month ban on him and yourself? :P
Why I am in fault? It sound like you think I was asking him to make his own posts longer. Nope, the posts are fine as posts. He wanted them to be published as articles, so he can get the prize money. As published articles, they need to be minimal 500 words as I told him from the beginning, and he knew it. In fact, he PMed me to ask how I think of his articles. I didn't start it by contacting him. I simply launched a contest with prize money. I had also posted a separated thread about articles with the minimal requirements listed very clearly.

I wouldn't call 200~300 words as articles. So I asked him nicely to lengthen them (after) he PMed me to ask me to publish them. He agreed to length them to "minimal 500 words", yet he failed to do it, so I "failed" to publish them as we agreed they need to be minimal 500 words.. he knew it... It is not about how he just failed to meet a simple requirement. He agreed to this requirement of 500 words minimal, yet he still sent me 200~300 words "articles" which made me speechless and I was thinking on how to respond to him without hurting his feelings...yet he then had an attitude with me for his own failure to meet the minimal word count, before he started to remove all his posts and replace them with one sentence.

I had been extremely patient and polite the whole time.

I fail to see my fault in it besides I am being too nice. You really need to read the whole first post more carefully.

Last edited by Ram8349; 05-06-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I am Legion

Admin Experience: Intermediate
EvilGrin is a jewel in the rough
I'm inclined to agree with Cerrdor to some extent.

The original contest was for 150 posts and articles were going to be used for a tie breaker.

It appears the poster was putting up plenty of acceptable posts and a number of short articles. Too short by your standards but a lot of work put into them nevertheless. TBH you had a hard neck demanding that the poster rewrite to a certain length. If they weren't up to the standard you want for articles you should just have left them as substantial posts and said nothing. We would all like posters to be putting up lots of high quality content for free on our forums but in reality we should be grateful for the effort they do put in. What gives any of us the right to demand posts/articles from anybody? I think you were just greedy. He may have re-acted petulantly in editing his posts but tbh I don't blame him. Nevertheless having gone that far as an Admin I would have to ban him. But I would be secretly ashamed of myself because the situation was not of his doing.

Just out of curiousity how many other posters fulfilled you post/ article requirements to your satisfaction and did you award the prize?

Also did he breach the terms and conditions of the site in any way as they stood at the time of posting? You allowed editing of posts so his editing of posts was permitted, right? To change the terms now and punish him on the basis of your re-write is morally reprehensible.

If you really want to put things right talk things out with the guy and with his agreement re-state his posts from the edit history. That way every body wins.

My 2c.

PS I see you "repaired" some of his articles with content recovered from emails. I don't believe you have any right to to that. The content was removed fair and square and from then on you lost any rights to it.

Last edited by EvilGrin; 05-06-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 PM
TAZ Rookie

Acrodox is a jewel in the rough
Kick him out, he can give off a bad vibe to anyone that reads his stuff, scaring away incoming members.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Tazmanian

@ Blubble,
I sincerely disagree.
He could have declined to rewrite in the first place, but he agreed to rewrite them as I replied extremely politely to his "What do you think of my articles?" PM.

According to your theory, then we are greedy to have anyone signing up and post at all in the first place?
Keep in mind that we are providing free services for people to chat. We do not owe them!

He signed up out of his own free will. He also posted out of his own free will. I did not force anyone to write anything. Nor I forced him to rewrite. He PMed me first and want the articles to be published. I gave him a minimal requirement for the published articles, he agreed, he went ahead to redo them, he came back with results made me speechless. He started to be rude with me and started to mess up threads on purpose. He has no right on anything he had done here.

(The gift example isn't entirely accurate...it's more like I provide a free space for partying...)
Even if I gave you a birthday gift. Do I have the right to demand it to be displayed on your front door and then agreed to make it fit because it was a misfit, then failed to do it yet get angry with you and decide to take it away or come into your house to destroy it? Especially after you've been nice and polite the whole time and you even wanted to redo it yourself instead of me?

The bottom line, I did not demand anything. I had been polite and "asking" the whole time, even though it shouldn't be "asking" in the first place.
All posts are out of members' free will. When someone wants his posts to be published as official articles, then he must meet the guideline... which he AGREEed to my "asking" after he contacted me first... on multiple occasions, yet still failed to achieve something so simple. I still did not get upset with him, I was just speechless and tried to think of a way to solve this without upsetting anyone. How nice can I be? Now he is the one getting upset because I wouldn't publish something doesn't meet the guideline he knew all along. I even offered to rewrite for him.

Like I said, he is a trouble from the start. Posting 1 word posts, and sometimes posting search engine link to ask people to search for the answer because he can't answer it directly...not once but in rows, etc.

P.S. I have every right to repair what's in my house, even a gift destroyed by someone who gave it to me.
I can see now there is even a "him" exist. Because there are people out there agree with his point of view. He has the right visit my house, then leave something there, but demand it to be displayed on my front door, and agreed to rearrange it, but failed, then came into my house and hammered it to shreds after I said I will make it fit myself. Make sense!

We can argue all day here, but it is not my attention. I simply want opinions on how to deal with it. I even stated I did not ban him...and I wanted to know how to "talk" to him for the best solution... how nice I can be?

Last edited by Ram8349; 05-07-2012 at 01:11 AM..
Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 AM
TAZ Rookie

Cerrdor is on a distinguished road
So why troll the interwebz asking what you should do? Make your own decision and have a great day. I fail to see the use of this thread anymore honestly you have two options ban him or award him nuff said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram8349 View Post
@ Blubble,
I sincerely disagree.
He could have declined to rewrite in the first place, but he agreed to rewrite them as I replied extremely politely to his "What do you think of my articles?" PM.

According to your theory, then we are greedy to have anyone signing up and post at all in the first place?
Keep in mind that we are providing free services for people to chat. We do not owe them!

He signed up out of his own free will. He also posted out of his own free will. I did not force anyone to write anything. Nor I forced him to rewrite. He PMed me first and want the articles to be published. I gave him a minimal requirement for the published articles, he agreed, he went ahead to redo them, he came back with results made me speechless. He started to be rude with me and started to mess up threads on purpose. He has no right on anything he had done here.

(The gift example isn't entirely accurate...it's more like I provide a free space for partying...)
Even if I gave you a birthday gift. Do I have the right to demand it to be displayed on your front door and then agreed to make it fit because it was a misfit, then failed to do it yet get angry with you and decide to take it away or come into your house to destroy it? Especially after you've been nice and polite the whole time and you even wanted to redo it yourself instead of me?

The bottom line, I did not demand anything. I had been polite and "asking" the whole time, even though it shouldn't be "asking" in the first place.
All posts are out of members' free will. When someone wants his posts to be published as official articles, then he must meet the guideline... which he AGREEed to my "asking" after he contacted me first... on multiple occasions, yet still failed to achieve something so simple. I still did not get upset with him, I was just speechless and tried to think of a way to solve this without upsetting anyone. How nice can I be? Now he is the one getting upset because I wouldn't publish something doesn't meet the guideline he knew all along. I even offered to rewrite for him.

Like I said, he is a trouble from the start. Posting 1 word posts, and sometimes posting search engine link to ask people to search for the answer because he can't answer it directly...not once but in rows, etc.

P.S. I have every right to repair what's in my house, even a gift destroyed by someone who gave it to me.
I can see now there is even a "him" exist. Because there are people out there agree with his point of view. He has the right visit my house, then leave something there, but demand it to be displayed on my front door, and agreed to rearrange it, but failed, then came into my house and hammered it to shreds after I said I will make it fit myself. Make sense!

We can argue all day here, but it is not my attention. I simply want opinions on how to deal with it. I even stated I did not ban him...and I wanted to know how to "talk" to him for the best solution... how nice I can be?

Last edited by Judge Dredd; 05-07-2012 at 01:50 AM..
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 AM
TAZ Enthusiast

Admin Experience: Advanced
Lochie is a name known to allLochie is a name known to allLochie is a name known to allLochie is a name known to allLochie is a name known to all
If there was no rule disallowing the editing of his posts then I see no reason to ban the user. He did, by the sounds of it, try to make an effort to write decent articles. They may not have specifically met your guidelines and he made it clear in the last PM that he was not going rewrite them. If I were you I'd simply move on from the issue.

You can try and reconcile with the member, however that may be futile. You've already taken action to prevent the editing of posts by users that are doing so in a disruptive manner, unless the member causes more problems such as troll, flames, or disrespects the other users then I'd move on and put it in the past.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Tazmanian

I did leave the issue as it is, and I thought there might be other better options that's why I am here to ask for more opinions. Whether there is rule for editing or not (there is), it does not cover the fact he was intentionally trying to ruin the threads he participated in. Not just the threads he posted his mini "articles", but also all his earlier posts with more than a few sentences. It was an @ss move and he knew it.

He knew what he did and how it might turn out. For two weeks after this happened, he logged in every day but only stay on the forum main page. I bet he was checking to see if I had banned him or not. With his personality, I doubt he would even think it's because I am being too nice. He probably think I am so dumb that I haven't noticed it yet.

To be honest, I didn't ban him only because he claimed he have cancer. I don't want him to be more upset than he already is which might cause him to have worse condition. Now to think about it, even that might not be true. He could have made it up. He totally acted like an immature kid instead of in his 60s from the very beginning.

Either way, he has stopped logging in for weeks now. I would also prefer never see him again. It might be the best.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 AM
TAZ Enthusiast

Lochie is a name known to allLochie is a name known to allLochie is a name known to allLochie is a name known to allLochie is a name known to all
Quote:
I did leave the issue as it is, and I thought there might be other better options that's why I am here to ask for more opinions. Whether there is rule for editing or not (there is), it does not cover the fact he was intentionally trying to ruin the threads he participated in. Not just the threads he posted his mini "articles", but also all his earlier posts with more than a few sentences. It was an @ss move and he knew it.

He knew what he did and how it might turn out. For two weeks after this happened, he logged in every day but only stay on the forum main page. I bet he was checking to see if I had banned him or not. With his personality, I doubt he would even think it's because I am being too nice. He probably think I am so dumb that I haven't noticed it yet.

To be honest, I didn't ban him only because he claimed he have cancer. I don't want him to be more upset than he already is which might cause him to have worse condition. Now to think about it, even that might not be true. He could have made it up. He totally acted like an immature kid instead of in his 60s from the very beginning.

Either way, he has stopped logging in for weeks now. I would also prefer never see him again. It might be the best.
I think the right thing was done, he is no longer affecting your board. By banning him you may have provoked him to start menacing your forum again. He is gone, he may have been a contributing member, but at the end of the day it was all to service only himself and not the community.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 AM
I am Legion

Quote:
For two weeks after this happened, he logged in every day but only stay on the forum main page. I bet he was checking to see if I had banned him or not.
"...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent." -Goethe

I always login to sites that I am registered on when I visit. It is the only way to receive PMs and to read posts in certain forums. If he has stooped logging for weeks I would consider that matter closed and let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Tazmanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
"...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent." -Goethe

I always login to sites that I am registered on when I visit. It is the only way to receive PMs and to read posts in certain forums. If he has stooped logging for weeks I would consider that matter closed and let sleeping dogs lie.
Not only he did not post anything, but he also did not visit any other page at all other than the forum main page. It wasn't for checking posts because there is no way to see all the threads on the main page. It can't be anything but trying to see my reaction. Two weeks after it, he stopped logging in all together.

There is no misunderstanding. It was simply a Mr. Nice guy dealing with a Mr. Weirdo.

I don't know for sure if the case is truly closed. Worse case scenario, he could log back in and start posting cr@p or PM other members who already knew him to talk cr@p about me based on lies. After what had already happened, I won't be surprised to see he doing anything that might make me speechless.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 AM
I am Legion

No offence but you are taking this way too personally. It's only a few posts on an internet forum at the end of the day. Life is already tough enough without stressing over the small stuff.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Tazmanian

No offense. I am not taking anything personally. If I did, I would have yelled at him and banned his @ss a long time ago. I am worrying about possible further damage he could produce if he returns.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Tazmanian

AzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond reputeAzhriaLilu has a reputation beyond repute
I think by not reacting since his logging in sessions, you've done the right thing. You'll probably find he'll either never return or will sneak back in and start posting normally again at some point. I'd say you have little to worry about from this point on though where this member is concerned.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Tazmanian

Namorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond reputeNamorat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
To be honest, I didn't ban him only because he claimed he have cancer. I don't want him to be more upset than he already is which might cause him to have worse condition.
I am not a fan of this.
As you said yourself, he may lie. Even if he is ill, which is bad, you shouldn't start going down this route... Allowing people to act against the forum's interest only, because they are or claim to be ill.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Admin

TrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond reputeTrixieTang has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I suffer from chronic Trollitis, I need to flame people on internet forums everyday or I'll start bleeding out my everywhere.

Medical conditions are almost always an excuse and not a defense. If someone has a disease that's "made worse" by being banned from an internet forum then that disease obviously isn't their only issue, they should really be seeking help for their severe internet addiction.

Admin Zone Forums > The Community Zone > Managing an Online Community > Community Organization